Lagging out

Misc topics

Lagging out

Postby Kitty » Fri Oct 14, 2011 22:56 UTC

I went on vogon US..today about 5:30 pm. around 9 or 10 players there...all lagged out...wats up?
User avatar
Kitty
Former Admin
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 15:42 UTC

Re: Lagging out

Postby 1UnRaTeD1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 05:28 UTC

umm maybe something on the connection line or maybe umm something like your connection maby or something
or somethingmlike that or just laggin when last time u formated? a good format helps and performance increases by 40% depending on computerr hardwaer ware

sorry im drunk
User avatar
1UnRaTeD1
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 17:31 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: FFA

Re: Lagging out

Postby Kitty » Sun Oct 16, 2011 14:46 UTC

At least you posted a comment...all those views and u were the only one...thanks :) I think it was the server tho...wasnt just me lagging out lol it was everyone (: (:
User avatar
Kitty
Former Admin
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 15:42 UTC

Re: Lagging out

Postby Apocalypse » Sun Oct 16, 2011 15:19 UTC

I was playing Call Of Duty at the same time i had no lag. They are on the same server. BUT, all 3 COD servers were full. Still should not have lagged you. Next time it happens try rebooting your modem. Might be a node down somewhere between you and the server. Rebooting modem might re-rout your connection.
User avatar
Apocalypse
Former Admin
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 19:21 UTC
Location: U.S.A.
Favorite map: Winter_Crash
Server: COD4

Re: Lagging out

Postby 1UnRaTeD1 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 16:17 UTC

is it possible when server laggs everyone laggs yes? ok cool but how about frames per second? i had a few drops on 1 lvl in q3 it was weird i guess the lagg causes it and frames drop by 10% prolly
User avatar
1UnRaTeD1
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 17:31 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: FFA

Re: Lagging out

Postby Kitty » Sun Oct 16, 2011 19:40 UTC

Apoc...I did reboot the router...restarted my computer...but still everyone was lagging out...dont think me restarting my router and computer fixed all problems...players were still lagging out and its not me lol
User avatar
Kitty
Former Admin
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 15:42 UTC

Re: Lagging out

Postby Apocalypse » Mon Oct 17, 2011 00:08 UTC

Kitty wrote:Apoc...I did reboot the router...restarted my computer...but still everyone was lagging out...dont think me restarting my router and computer fixed all problems...players were still lagging out and its not me lol


Could be a many number of things then Kit. i live less then 100 miles from server so i usually dont have problems. The quake server just might have needed a reset.
User avatar
Apocalypse
Former Admin
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 19:21 UTC
Location: U.S.A.
Favorite map: Winter_Crash
Server: COD4

Re: Lagging out

Postby Apocalypse » Mon Oct 17, 2011 00:16 UTC

1UnRaTeD1 wrote:is it possible when server laggs everyone laggs yes? ok cool but how about frames per second? i had a few drops on 1 lvl in q3 it was weird i guess the lagg causes it and frames drop by 10% prolly


ummm players lagging other players is a myth.....high ping players do not lag other players. And the server has a gigabyte line and plenty of processor meaning the server can transfer up to 1GB of info a second. 200 players on the server should not even be able to lag it.
User avatar
Apocalypse
Former Admin
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 19:21 UTC
Location: U.S.A.
Favorite map: Winter_Crash
Server: COD4

Re: Lagging out

Postby craij » Mon Oct 17, 2011 19:13 UTC

Kitty wrote:Apoc...I did reboot the router...restarted my computer...but still everyone was lagging out...dont think me restarting my router and computer fixed all problems...players were still lagging out and its not me lol


I've been on where the server lagged out all but one player on. Heh. Was high-larious. Sadly, I was one the "lagged."


Apocalypse wrote:ummm players lagging other players is a myth.....high ping players do not lag other players. And the server has a gigabyte line and plenty of processor meaning the server can transfer up to 1GB of info a second. 200 players on the server should not even be able to lag it.


So you guys keep saying but too many in-game experiences tend to create doubt. Please don't take offense to this because honestly I don't mean to sound disrespectful but without being one of programmers who developed the network end of these ID games, I don't think you can accurately answer these types of statements/questions. Is there any active member of this forum that happens to be one of the developers of the one of the quake engines?
craij
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 17:41 UTC
Server: FFA

Re: Lagging out

Postby 1UnRaTeD1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 20:35 UTC

well in each game these days that support multi player online gameplay not rated cause of lagg and connection issues.
User avatar
1UnRaTeD1
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 17:31 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: FFA

Re: Lagging out

Postby AG » Mon Oct 17, 2011 20:38 UTC

craij wrote:So you guys keep saying but too many in-game experiences tend to create doubt. Please don't take offense to this because honestly I don't mean to sound disrespectful but without being one of programmers who developed the network end of these ID games, I don't think you can accurately answer these types of statements/questions. Is there any active member of this forum that happens to be one of the developers of the one of the quake engines?

one q3 client cannot cause another client to lag. it just doesn't happen. check the ioq3 mailing list.

lag can be caused by a number of different things… your own hardware or connection, the network path between you and the server, resource allocation on the server, humidity, sodium concentration, poor posture, expired vehicle registration, etc.
User avatar
AG
Q3 Admin
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 18:25 UTC
Location: Texas
Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL
Website: http://vogonhq.com

Re: Lagging out

Postby 1UnRaTeD1 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 20:38 UTC

i am a developer im Id certified and pro with engines for cars to my friend :)
User avatar
1UnRaTeD1
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 17:31 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: FFA

Re: Lagging out

Postby AG » Mon Oct 17, 2011 20:51 UTC

whut
User avatar
AG
Q3 Admin
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 18:25 UTC
Location: Texas
Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL
Website: http://vogonhq.com

Re: Lagging out

Postby 1UnRaTeD1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 01:16 UTC

yes AG yes u r right many things not just few..as u said. never will get a non lagged game online..its always gonna lagg either way. wireless for 1 big time.
User avatar
1UnRaTeD1
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 17:31 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: FFA

Re: Lagging out

Postby Apocalypse » Tue Oct 18, 2011 01:45 UTC

AG wrote:
craij wrote:So you guys keep saying but too many in-game experiences tend to create doubt. Please don't take offense to this because honestly I don't mean to sound disrespectful but without being one of programmers who developed the network end of these ID games, I don't think you can accurately answer these types of statements/questions. Is there any active member of this forum that happens to be one of the developers of the one of the quake engines?

one q3 client cannot cause another client to lag. it just doesn't happen. check the ioq3 mailing list.

lag can be caused by a number of different things… your own hardware or connection, the network path between you and the server, resource allocation on the server, humidity, sodium concentration, poor posture, expired vehicle registration, etc.

TY AG (:
User avatar
Apocalypse
Former Admin
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 19:21 UTC
Location: U.S.A.
Favorite map: Winter_Crash
Server: COD4

Re: Lagging out

Postby SD » Tue Oct 18, 2011 16:34 UTC

AG wrote:
craij wrote:So you guys keep saying but too many in-game experiences tend to create doubt. Please don't take offense to this because honestly I don't mean to sound disrespectful but without being one of programmers who developed the network end of these ID games, I don't think you can accurately answer these types of statements/questions. Is there any active member of this forum that happens to be one of the developers of the one of the quake engines?

one q3 client cannot cause another client to lag. it just doesn't happen. check the ioq3 mailing list.

lag can be caused by a number of different things… your own hardware or connection, the network path between you and the server, resource allocation on the server, humidity, sodium concentration, poor posture, expired vehicle registration, etc.



You should all be aware that AG is completely wrong about all of this. Sodium concentration can only cause lagging when combined with rainbows, but even this will only cause lag on a Monday.

LAG IS NEARLY ALWAYS CAUSED BY TERMITES. And sometimes Oprah Winfrey. But not often.
User avatar
SD
Former Admin
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 18:54 UTC
Location: Wales, UK
Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Re: Lagging out

Postby craij » Thu Oct 20, 2011 22:25 UTC

AG wrote:one q3 client cannot cause another client to lag. it just doesn't happen. check the ioq3 mailing list.

lag can be caused by a number of different things… your own hardware or connection, the network path between you and the server, resource allocation on the server, humidity, sodium concentration, poor posture, expired vehicle registration, etc.


Sounds reasonable enough but the server must keep track of requests/responses from one client and share that data with other connected client/s. Let's say client A is an HPB. Poor bastard is connecting from, say, Brazil. You have 7 other clients hoping for data about the whereabouts of client A. Is it not possible that the server starts to get a little annoyed by all the calls to that routine/method without a response from said client?

One hand says, "ok, no data, fuck it." The other hand says, "where's my data, damnit!" I'm guessing from your response it must be the first hand's logic.

Is it possible that some seedy fucker is making "illegal" data requests to/from the server while they play? For instance, I have heard people have ways of masking their connection speed... is this true?
craij
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 17:41 UTC
Server: FFA

Re: Lagging out

Postby dyn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 09:20 UTC

Nah, because server uses dedicated connections and sends game-data to the each client separately. But, you have a point, if clients drop packets you will see them skipping. This requires cheats usually, because values must be really low, more than Q3 permits. For occasional packet drop game compensates with interpolated entity movement*, something which was developed for the QuakeWorld, NetQuake (Quake 1) was without it and you could see players lagging. Back then it was even worse, because most of the players were on analog modems. Today most players are on xDSL, including Brazil and the rest of Latin America. Pings from 150-170 + stable connection is something normal, you can see this on COD4 servers. COD4 uses similar network code as Q3/Q4.

* - I linked to the Valve "Source Multiplayer Networking" docs, however they based their network code on the Quake 1 network code.
User avatar
dyn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 07:50 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA
Website: https://vogonhq.com

Re: Lagging out

Postby dyn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 09:25 UTC

Kitty wrote:I went on vogon US..today about 5:30 pm. around 9 or 10 players there...all lagged out...wats up?


It was a DDoS attack, most probably because we are #1 again (multiple times in the past year) on the GameTracker site. Since then we were attacked 2 more times. It requires a special breed of cretins to attack free game servers. I mean, if they are really that smart, they can erect their own servers and compete with us. Not sure how much they can erect, anyway. :-D

Image
User avatar
dyn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 07:50 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA
Website: https://vogonhq.com

Re: Lagging out

Postby craij » Fri Oct 28, 2011 14:04 UTC

dyn wrote:... interpolated entity movement ... Today most players are on xDSL, including Brazil and the rest of Latin America. Pings from 150-170 + stable connection is something normal"

So this means that the game server sends out responses 50 - 150ms after we actually trigger the events?
It certainly explains how HPBs can still compete with such regrettable pings.


dyn wrote:It requires a special breed of cretins to attack free game servers. I mean, if they are really that smart, they can erect their own servers and compete with us. Not sure how much they can erect, anyway. :-D

So true! I'm guessing they get abused by their family and/or peers, or have 0% chance of ever getting lucky with the ladies (small member?), and simply hate the world and therefore must make something suffer in whatever pathetic way they can.
craij
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 17:41 UTC
Server: FFA

Re: Lagging out

Postby SD » Sat Oct 29, 2011 16:58 UTC

I think it probably makes them feel good, big and strong. Makes them feel a sense of power - because in the real world they have none, zero. Because they're so pathetic and probably impotent too. And they have really bad personal hygiene problems. And no friends. And bad teeth. And their mom still washes their skids for them and reads them a bed time story. And they don't know how to talk to ladies. I think ladies laugh at them. Because they have small winkies. And they still cry when they fall over.
I might come back later when I think of a few more things to say about them.
User avatar
SD
Former Admin
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 18:54 UTC
Location: Wales, UK
Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], DotNetDotCom.org [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest