updates

Misc topics

updates

Postby Hacksaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 02:32 UTC

ok trying to figure things out again after getting back into this, is there some type of update i need to do, for quake 3 arena, cause i can play than it stops me and my screen goes white and i have to shut down and re-boot again. Can anyone help this old man out please, thanks people , i can use all the help i can get now, cause its been awhile and I have forgotten things. Thanks Hacksaw(aka Craig). Be safe and well always :oldman: :DD
Hacksaw

Favorite map: Q3dm3
Server: FFA

Re: updates

Postby SD » Thu Jan 05, 2012 19:03 UTC

Best thing to do is upgrade to point release 1.32 (I think there may be one even more recent but I don't use it and I have no problems). But normally if it was a version problem you would get an error on connection attemps (like "version xx, expected xx") so that may not be the problem. Check first though before trying anything else.
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby Hacksaw » Sun Jan 08, 2012 01:46 UTC

ok re-fresh my memory what site do i get it from and will it load in to my existing files, or i need to do something else. sorry guys i've been out of this too long can't remember it all!!! i can use all the help anyone can give me on this matter cause i truly miss this game. Thanks one an all Hacksaw(aka Craig). Be Safe and Well Always:) :oldman: :DD
Hacksaw

Postby SD » Sun Jan 08, 2012 18:52 UTC

First thing, just CHECK to see what version you are running. To do this just start Q3, you don't even have to join a multiplayer server, you can do this in single player mode. Launch Q3 and hit the tilde key to drop the console, on a UK keyboard it's next to the "1" (top row not the number pad) and looks like this - "`" (without quotation marks!) In the bottom right of the console it will display the version of Q3 you currently have. Post back and if it's anything other than (or rather older than) 1.32 I will like to a reliable update. There is no point doing anything else till you have at least 1.32.
SD
Former Admin

Postby SD » Sun Jan 08, 2012 18:53 UTC

Hacksaw wrote:ok trying to figure things out again after getting back into this, is there some type of update i need to do, for quake 3 arena, cause i can play than it stops me and my screen goes white and i have to shut down and re-boot again. Can anyone help this old man out please, thanks people , i can use all the help i can get now, cause its been awhile and I have forgotten things. Thanks Hacksaw(aka Craig). Be safe and well always :oldman: :DD

Still do the above, but tbh this sounds more like a graphic/video driver problem to me at the moment....
SD
Former Admin

Postby Hacksaw » Thu Jan 12, 2012 01:06 UTC

hey SD thanks for the input, i check things out, as it stands, it reads: Q3 1.32 win-x86 oct 7 2002, and I truly beliveve its is a grapgic/video problem, there is no updates for this card that I have found for free, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440(microsoft corporation) thats for the help , guess its time for a new video card with the new PC. Well I guess i will be out for a longer time than I thought. Thanks, and be safe and well always. Hacksaw(akaCraig). :oldman:
Hacksaw

Postby SD » Thu Jan 12, 2012 18:41 UTC

Assuming the video drivers actually ARE the problem, you could always take the thing out and use the onboard mobo video, most boards have this facility. It could also be a RAM problem, I had a similar thing happen years ago (with another game not Q3). With the limited info so far, it's hard to nail down the problem. But the good thing is Q3 is over 400 years old now so it doesn't take much by the way of hardware to run it.
SD
Former Admin

Postby Hacksaw » Mon Jan 30, 2012 23:59 UTC

Hey SD tried that no luck thanks for the help, off to try something else. maybe its time to put this old PC down for good hee haw!!:)
Hacksaw

Postby colombo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 08:10 UTC

I'll take this post to explain my problem.
a day without knowing why, when I connect to the game did not have enough lighting q3. I realized I needed to search through some servers in multiplayer so i could watch the game with enough ilumunacion.
Anyone know it happens?
colombo
TM

Postby colombo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 08:12 UTC

any idea?
colombo
TM

Postby chaos252 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 00:07 UTC

try /vid_restart when that happens.
chaos252
Former Admin

Favorite map: QZTOURNEY6

Postby colombo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 08:06 UTC

thanks chaos, I've tried and still dark.
For lighting, I connect a server first and then go to Vogon.
colombo
TM

Return to General Discussion