this and that....

Misc topics

this and that....

Postby VAT » Thu Feb 09, 2012 16:31 UTC

hi friends,
I`m playing since few days on ffa again and I couldn`t help but wonder: RAIL-WAR !
rail-fire through the walls, in the air - everywhere ....
in the face of this fact I`m in reasonable doubt, if my gameplay i still uptodate anymore, cause the shotgun is looking like a poor as a church mouse.
today I got the hint to use alt + fire on console when using railgun. ok. but what does that mean?
then other question: vogon q3 v1.666 mod. there is a thread where everybody is delighted. do you play with this mod on regular vogon? or private.
and what is special with this mod?
btw: are the new gods of skill on ffa the old ones??? scary good - not to speak of fantastic....
VAT

Server: FFA

Re: this and that....

Postby SD » Thu Feb 09, 2012 17:32 UTC

Alt Fire -
Some weapons have an alternative firing mode. With the railgun, alt fire OFF gives the projectile with splash, alt fire ON will shoot through walls and other objects and there is no splash. Grenade launcher has bouncy grenades, turn alt fire ON and you get sticky grenades. Rocket launcher with alt fire ON makes the rockets detonate in flight after a certain distance (I think, I hardly use RL). I think BFG is also affected in a similar way to Railgun, but I'm not sure, some of the others could fill you in on that.
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby AG » Thu Feb 09, 2012 17:37 UTC

VAT wrote:today I got the hint to use alt + fire on console when using railgun. ok. but what does that mean?

pressing a key assigned to alt-fire will change the rail from regular splash to pass thru, grenades from regular to sticky, and rockets to shorter distance explosions.

if i remember correctly, it is the same as it was before when you used to play here.

VAT wrote:then other question: vogon q3 v1.666 mod. there is a thread where everybody is delighted. do you play with this mod on regular vogon? or private.
and what is special with this mod?

dyn released the q3 mod that the vogon servers are running — v1.666 is the version available for download. if anybody wanted to set up their own vogon-based server, they could use that to do so.
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17

Postby VAT » Thu Feb 09, 2012 18:26 UTC

AG wrote:
dyn released the q3 mod that the vogon servers are running — v1.666 is the version available for download. if anybody wanted to set up their own vogon-based server, they could use that to do so.

thanks, and there are no problems, when I install that mod on ubuntu 64 bit?
I`m still self conscious with my new machine and the system.
VAT

Postby AG » Thu Feb 09, 2012 18:50 UTC

VAT wrote:thanks, and there are no problems, when I install that mod on ubuntu 64 bit?
I`m still self conscious with my new machine and the system.

i don't think you'd have problems.

but just to be clear — it's a server-side mod. you don't need to bother downloading it if you're just going to be playing here — only if you want to run your own server.
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17

Postby VAT » Thu Feb 09, 2012 19:32 UTC

AG wrote:
but just to be clear — it's a server-side mod. you don't need to bother downloading it if you're just going to be playing here — only if you want to run your own server.

ok - thanks - now its clear.
in regards to my gameplay/skill: shotgun is a effective weapon and rail too. I remember the time, when you started with the rail. you began very slow and
you could improve your skill more and more. I`ll think about that before I die (in game :) )
VAT

Postby DEAN SINSTROM » Sat Feb 11, 2012 13:00 UTC

Pass-through rail, and sticky grenades 4 eva!
DEAN SINSTROM
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM1

Postby chaos252 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 02:44 UTC

pass thru can be neutralized with good movement and splash. strafing, jumping and bouncing around.. hook as well, but hook can be very predictable and leave you vulnerable while waiting for it to connect. rockets, alt nades and regular rail are good against a pass thru player as well as lg. trick to jumping is move in an arc, never in a straight line or side to side. makes you much harder to hit.

when you see a bunch of people spawning try an lg+rail combo. the lg blinds them and when the spawn protection wears off a rail is instant death. just hold down fire with lg for a second then while holding fire tap your rail bind.
chaos252
Former Admin

Favorite map: QZTOURNEY6

Postby VAT » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:18 UTC

sounds good -
and what`s wirh the exceptionally gifted gamers? - at that moment they saw the light of day for the first time,
infested with craving for keyboard and mouse and the first direct hits?
I guess any one of them is diseased with the vogon-virus too....
VAT

Postby craij » Mon Feb 13, 2012 21:59 UTC

chaos252 wrote:when you see a bunch of people spawning try an lg+rail combo. the lg blinds them and when the spawn protection wears off a rail is instant death. just hold down fire with lg for a second then while holding fire tap your rail bind.

this is the banana hand way... to be avoided at all costs.
craij

Postby Tripredacus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 01:02 UTC

craij wrote:this is the banana hand way... to be avoided at all costs.

Hand banana? Same thing I guess. :(
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM2

Postby chaos252 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 08:26 UTC

chaos252
Former Admin

Favorite map: QZTOURNEY6

Postby VAT » Tue Feb 14, 2012 15:49 UTC

good to know !
VAT

Postby VAT » Tue Feb 14, 2012 22:19 UTC

I guess among the blind "alt + fire- on- player" the wall-hack-user is king.
VAT

Return to General Discussion