We Are The Aliens (BBC Documentary)

Misc topics

We Are The Aliens (BBC Documentary)

Postby dyn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:05 UTC

"Clouds of alien life forms are sweeping through outer space and infecting planets with life – it may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. The idea that life on Earth came from another planet has been around as a modern scientific theory since the 1960s when it was proposed by Fred Hoyle and Chandra Wickramasinghe. At the time they were ridiculed for their idea – known as panspermia. But now, with growing evidence, it’s back in vogue and even being studied by NASA.
We meet the scientists on a mission to get to the bottom of the beginnings of life on Earth – from the team in Texas who are lovingly building a robotic submarine called DEPTHX to explore a moon of Jupiter, to Southern India where they are investigating a mysterious red rain which fell for two months in 2001. According to local scientist Godfrey Louis, the rain contains biological cells unlike any he had seen before – with no DNA and the ability to replicate at 300°C. Louis has come to the conclusion that the cells are extra-terrestrial in origin.
Could all this really be proof that We are the aliens?"
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Re: We Are The Aliens (BBC Documentary)

Postby craij » Mon Apr 22, 2013 21:43 UTC

Won't be suprised if they find the evidence they need... not that there's anything wrong with the primordial soup possibility. However, I don't think that would make us aliens so much as bi-products?
craij

Postby SD » Mon Apr 22, 2013 22:25 UTC

Hmm. I don't really know where I stand on this. We touched on it in some other thread recently. I'll confess to not having researched panspermia all that much, but I'm a little skeptical about it. No actually I'm more than a little skeptical about it, but I'll refrain from bashing the shit out of it like i do with I/D until I've looked into it more.
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby SD » Mon Apr 22, 2013 23:37 UTC

OK just watched this documentary. Very interesting and definitely worth watching. Doesn't seem to support the case for panspermia all that well though.
As for life (or life forms) on other planets - no problem with that. As for life being (probably) prolific throughout space (I say "space" to get beyond what we can see) - no problem with that either. As for life being seeded here from some other planet, well it doesn't answer (or even address) the question of where did life start? If it was "seeded" here from somewhere else, well ok so what "seeded" it there then? You get into an infinite regress with this which isn't helpful. Also Occams Razor comes into it, you can't solve a mystery by appealing to a bigger mystery. Plus we already have a well supported scientific theory as to how life originated (abiogenesis) followed by evolution by natural selection to explain the diversity of life. It's not that I dislike the idea of panspermia but it's not very well supported in mainstream science. And before anyone criticizes me for paying attention to mainstream science - it's the best, most accurate, most well proven to be reliable source of information we have regarding these issues. Nothing else has even come close to competing when it comes to explaining life.
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby dyn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 14:19 UTC

But then again - does it have to be the ultimate answer to Life and Universe and Everything? It just explains how it may have happened for this and other planets. Where life originated from day 1 of this Universe is probably much more complicated, there could be something which seeds one Universe after another. Something like blackholes going from there to here, who knows. We certainly won't learn about this when 3 billion people still think magical superhero will restore the planet after it gets destroyed in the Armageddon war.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby craij » Wed Apr 24, 2013 18:43 UTC

Yes. 42. Greatest book ever written.
craij

Return to General Discussion