ag's rail tips for vogon

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

ag's rail tips for vogon

Postby AG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 19:34 UTC

in case anyone finds this useful. this is based mostly on the fact that i tend to use only rail.

improving your railing

here are a few things that have helped me get better.

movement

this is the most important thing to learn.

always move, and always move smartly. movement is hardest to control and most predictable when you are in the air, so ground movement is your best defense. strafing and controlled spins are the best skills to develop.

play against bots set on high skill -- jump and you'll be nailed, but strafe and they get confused long enough to nail them.

awareness

stay on top of what's going on, where you are and where everyone else is in relation to you. stay in control, react and adjust. this ties in directly to movement.

turn down music and use headphones to tell where action is happening in relation to your player.

every player has a style. learn it and what will beat them. learn to predict what players are going to do.

aim

the least important thing to worry about. my aim was always atrocious, now i'd consider it mediocre. if you can can control your movement and awareness, aim falls in place much easier.

don't overshoot. the less you shoot, the more control you'll get and the more you'll hit.

passthru

again, being a fan of movement, i use passthru rail as it is easiest to control where i am in relation to everyone else. splash rail causes blowback to you and what you're shooting at, which just feels sloppy to me.

passthru is also extremely useful when learning to predict what players are doing. shooting blindly and repeatedly at a wall will lose time and give away your position, so be smart about what you're shooting at.

hook

again, with the movement, you get that much more control over position with hook. hiding and camping is extremely easy to predict and defeat. the benefit is slingshotting to populated map areas, or in a fight hook to a position at an odd angle of the player to nail them.

this is also the best way to deal with campers and spammers. simply slingshot into the room, preferably directly behind them.

don't overhook as it's easy to lose your position.

ping

ping really only affects rail negatively in two ways -- if it's either way too high (+180) or inconsistent.

with a consistent ping, the higher it is the more you have to learn to lead your shots. make it habitual.

key bindings

figure out what you do the most and bind your keys such that your fingers move the least.

super sekrit config cheets!!1

here are my many config tweaks, the secret of my sucksauce.

Code: Select all
set sensitivity "5"
set cl_mouseaccel "1"
set in_disablemacosxmouseaccel "0" // ioq3 & mac

adjust mouse sensitivity and cl_mouseaccel to something workable. i use a shitty stock dell mouse with low sensitivity and just enough mouseaccel to do 180' flips. i have to physically move my arm widely, but it compensates for my shaking hands.

set r_railcorewidth "2" // rail trail core size
set r_railwidth "10" // rail trail width
set cg_crosshairsize "12"
set cg_drawcrosshair "3"
set cg_oldRail "1" // turn off dumb looking spiral rails
set cg_railtrailtime "1200" // how long rail trails last

making rail trail last longer helps you see how much your aim is off and where other people are.

set cg_crosshairHealth "0"
set cg_drawGun "0"
set cg_drawRewards "0"
set cg_marks "0"
set com_blood "0"

i turn off some of the extra distracting graphics crap.

hardware

upgrade your hardware and get "a network card with look-ahead". lol, this doesn't exist. hardware doesn't have much to do with play quality in a game nearly 10 years old.

dealing with railers

here are a few things that come up often and how i generally try to deal with them.

passthru spamming

i think passthru spamming (holding the button down) is extremely limiting as you lose recoverability and the rhythm of the game, but it happens.

most passthru spammers tend to shoot more or less on the horizontal axis in order to hit people running around in other parts of the map. if within their line of fire, jump around to stay above it or move upward or downward in the map away from them.

passthru-spamming campers

i also think this is limiting as you're losing time getting a few easy frags when you could be moving toward more populated areas of the map.

even moreso than above, they tend to be shooting flatly. jump around and get to a different area of the map. most often it's just easier to ignore them unless there is a good way to slingshot or blast your way into their area at an unexpected angle.

in both cases, even if you aren't a railer, you can use the rail config settings above to see rail shots more easily.

quad and awards

there are two methods regarding awards: play to get them, or play to kill good players before they can receive them. i think the latter is more strategic and useful.

regardless, once quad or awards are introduced, the focus of the game changes. the easiest thing you can do to stop a "pass-the-quad" session or frag rampages is to shoot the player with quad as soon as possible and then kill yourself which will lose the powerups and return the match to normal.

invisibility

you have an extremely limited amount of time to get yourself into the area, angle yourself so that the invisible player is against a contrasting background, search for the foggy blob and then shoot and hope you hit before you get obliterated.

hook

if you're trying to shoot a hooker, you can easily lose your position and focus. it can help to slow back down to controlled ground movement and steal the rhythm back. many hookers make predictable movements or eventually lose control of their own position.

rail weakness

in a match with a lot of players and tons of spam or projectile weapons, rail (passthru or not) can't compete very well.
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Re: ag's rail tips for vogon

Postby Tripredacus » Wed Oct 21, 2009 01:08 UTC

Good post Godzilla.

I will make some additions if you don't mind.

The railgun is the "End-game" weapon. You can not get better with any weapon besides the Railgun. A lot of people play for fun and do not care about making themselves better at the game. If you want to get better, you need to use the railgun and eventually when you are comfortable switch to the true (passthrough) rail.

By the time you become comfortable with your settings, and the railgun itself, you will find aiming is second nature. Similar to what AG says above. You may even find that you kill other players on accident this way. This does not mean you were sloppy, but that you are getting the hang of it.

If you decide to use the railgun as your primary weapon, especially if you use true-rail, I recommend you bind the Rocket launcher to an easily accessible key/button. As with true rail, you can't jump with it. If I have the need to move somewhere far, or do a jump, I'll switch to the rocket, make that move and get back to the rail to shoot. It works well if you learn it well. If you need to learn how the rocket moves you around, play some maps just moving yourself around with the rocket launcher. In fact, do this often just to get practice if you have to.

As far as weakness... That is totally subjective. If you are good enough with the rail, there is no weakness.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM2
Server: FFA

Postby AG » Wed Oct 21, 2009 05:02 UTC

Tripredacus wrote:The railgun is the "End-game" weapon. You can not get better with any weapon besides the Railgun.

i disagree. each weapon has a purpose, some are applicable to more situations than others.

rail is a different type of game than projectile weapons, for example. i just happen to prefer the zen of rail and force it into ffa because i don't care if i lose.

Tripredacus wrote:As far as weakness... That is totally subjective. If you are good enough with the rail, there is no weakness.

a mob of 50 people converge on a guy with a gun to beat him to death with their fists. yes, it's possible to win, but i wouldn't expect it.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby SD » Wed Oct 21, 2009 16:45 UTC

Steaming hot tips there AG, I disagree on only one point, if memory serves we have had this conversation before. I'm not convinced playing down the need for decent aim is going to help anyone improve their rail. It's always been my opinion that, when using rail, aim is of paramount importance. After all, it's a weapon of accuracy (especially when taking passthrough rail into account). Even splash rail isn't that splashy really so you surely need to concentrate some on your aim. With passthrough rail, IMO aim becomes even more important, after all, with no splash if you miss you.....er.....miss.
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3

Postby AG » Wed Oct 21, 2009 17:06 UTC

SD wrote:Steaming hot tips there AG, I disagree on only one point, if memory serves we have had this conversation before. I'm not convinced playing down the need for decent aim is going to help anyone improve their rail. It's always been my opinion that, when using rail, aim is of paramount importance. After all, it's a weapon of accuracy (especially when taking passthrough rail into account). Even splash rail isn't that splashy really so you surely need to concentrate some on your aim. With passthrough rail, IMO aim becomes even more important, after all, with no splash if you miss you.....er.....miss.

true. it's not that you don't work on aim, but if you're not good at it then work on other things first (like not dying) until you have a more solid base to make aiming less horrendous.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby AG » Thu Oct 22, 2009 05:38 UTC

couple more things.

more on awareness

stay aware of where action is, or will be, and face toward it. keep your back to walls. check behind you constantly.

practice running forward, flipping 180' to face the opposite direction while still continuing to run backwards in a fluid motion.

if you slingshot into an area, turn yourself in mid-air so that you're already facing the action.

don't overdo your config

i would have started improving sooner had i stopped futzing with my config for graphic settings and bindings and all that mess. i've tossed 95% of crap i've tried over the time i've played.

you probably don't need to change m_yaw or m_pitch.

don't bother using config binds for things you can learn yourself with a little practice like rocket jumping.

zoom is a waste of time. if you're far enough from the player that you can't see them but still need to shoot, move closer.

it might look fancy in demos, but what you can do by improving your own skill far surpasses what you can do with crouching.

lose

when you work on new skills or start adjusting mouse settings, you will lose all the time. keep going. stop caring about winning and pay no attention to scores or stats-tracking websites other than for a personal gauge of general performance. stats-trackers are bullshit anyway.

you'll hit ceilings occasionally where it won't seem like you're getting better. change up your game and start practicing something to which you are totally unaccustomed.

for example, if the hook is enabled and there aren't many people around, try not using your movement keys at all -- use only the hook to slingshot yourself around while still trying to frag other players. or only use movement keys but never jump.

similarly, you might get really good at something and dominate a bunch of matches. there will always be someone better than you, they just haven't logged on yet. if you're beating the same players with the same techniques, it's time to change your game again to work on something you're not good at.

if you lose, don't assume it's the fault of your network connection, your hardware or the server.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby AG » Thu Oct 22, 2009 17:40 UTC

hell, while i'm at it.

my keybinds

// general //

unbindall

bind escape "togglemenu"
bind ~ "toggleconsole"
bind tab "+scores"

bind t "messagemode" // talk

// weapons //

bind 1 "weapon 1" // gaunt
bind a "weapon 1" // gaunt
bind 2 "weapon 2" // mg
bind 3 "weapon 3" // sg
bind 4 "weapon 4" // gl
bind 5 "weapon 5" // rl
bind 6 "weapon 6" // lg
bind 7 "weapon 7" // rail
bind q "weapon 7" // rail
bind 8 "weapon 8" // plasma
bind 9 "weapon 9" // bfg
bind 0 "weapon 10" // hook
bind r "weapnext"
bind mwheelup "weapnext"
bind mwheeldown "weapprev"

// movement & actions //

bind e "+forward"
bind d "+back"
bind s "+moveleft"
bind f "+moveright"
bind space "+moveup" // jump
bind c "+movedown" // crouch
bind mouse1 "+attack"
bind shift "+button2" // use item
bind x "+button3" // taunt
bind k "kill" // suicide

// spectate //

set specgame "team s; bind f1 vstr joingame"
set joingame "team r; bind f1 vstr specgame"
bind f1 "vstr specgame"

// demo //

set recstart "set g_synchronousClients 1; record; set g_synchronousClients 0; set rectoggle vstr recstop; echo [Starting Demo]"
set recstop   "stoprecord; set rectoggle vstr recstart; echo [Stopping Demo]"
set rectoggle "vstr recstart"
bind F2 "vstr rectoggle"

// screenshots //

bind F3 screenshotJPEG

// misc //

bind z    "toggle r_fullscreen"

// vogon //

bind mouse2 "+button5" // (or weapon 10) hook

// most reliable alt-fire
set afon "+button6; bind w vstr afoff"
set afoff "-button6; bind w vstr afon"
bind w "vstr afon"
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby dyn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 17:51 UTC

Very good tips! It certainly improves your game. We need more posts like that, thanks! :)
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby IriDeck » Thu Oct 22, 2009 20:04 UTC

Awesome tips, AG! This is the kind of stuff I wish I'd had when I first started railing. Huge props to Warnite for giving me tips regarding sensitivity, etc. When I started, my sensitivity was 30...I thought I'd never get better. I tried his sensitivity of 10 and thought it was crazy-slow at first, but now I play with a sensitivity of 5 and a mouseaccel of 1.5.

Also, AG & Trip both make good points regarding aim: I stopped focusing so hard on it, and now it's starting to become second nature. Once you're used to your sensitivity and mouseaccel, you'll find your reflexes will naturally point you in the right direction, and off you go.

Also agreed on the zoom. I used to use it all the time, and now I don't bother. Even when someone is flying high with quad, I find I'm faster and more accurate if I don't bother with zoom.

I also disagree with Trip on rail being the ultimate weapon. The minor change I'd make here is that it's the ultimate _sniper_ weapon. Your aim and timing have to be excellent, but that's the case with any weapon; they just have different trajectories. I've started to use the RL more and more, and employ it for delayed or assisted kills, such as when I'm in a rail-battle. Fire a rocket, switch to rail, let them dodge the rocket (or suffer a splash-bounce), then rail them wherever they end up. This has taken even more practice, but it just goes to show that being good with a variety of weapons and knowing their strengths and weaknesses will net you the most frags; not just sticking to one thing all the time.*

Also, lose. A lot. And get used to it. Fucking up and dying is the only way to get better. It's a game; relax and enjoy it. Instead of bitching at AG & Warnite for mopping the floor with me each and every time I play them, I've asked them for tips on how to get better, and actively sought them out so I could practice against them. The only way you get better is to be challenged by better players.

* The only exception I can think of here is the LG. Especially underwater.

Happy Fragging!
Iri
IriDeck
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM17
Server: TDM

Postby IriDeck » Thu Oct 22, 2009 20:07 UTC

Also in keeping with AG's code-post, here's my code for easily switching between the rail & rocketlauncher:
// Update Hook for FFA AND CTF:
set hkwp10 "weapon 5;set nxthk vstr hkoff"  //Rocketlauncher
set hkoff "weapon 7;set nxthk vstr hkwp10" //Railgun
set nxthk vstr hkwp10  //Toggle
set hookon "bind mouse3 vstr hookoff;echo ^3OFF-HAND ^5HOOK;bind mouse2 +button5"  //Switch to off-hand CTF/IK hook
set hookoff "bind mouse2 vstr nxthk;bind mouse3 vstr hookon;echo ^3FFA ^5MODE" //Switch to FFA mode (no hook)

vstr hookoff

Explanation: Mouse3 (middle button) switches between hook mode and FFA mode. In hook mode, right-click is hook. In FFA mode, right-click switches between RL & RG. :)
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby nitzer:sk » Thu Oct 22, 2009 21:09 UTC

BIG THANX ABS!Good tips! :-)
nitzer:sk

Postby Tripredacus » Fri Oct 23, 2009 02:48 UTC

Your point about Hook is the same as my point about the Rocket. I will never use the hook for Quake 3. I only ever used it in KQP which was many years ago. And that's a strange key config. Would you believe that I actually use the arrow (not numpad) keys? Also I changed my old "zoom" key to use "taunt" instead. It works a lot better lol.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby AG » Fri Oct 23, 2009 18:29 UTC

i left a reply that was too mean. redo.

Tripredacus wrote:Your point about Hook is the same as my point about the Rocket. I will never use the hook for Quake 3. I only ever used it in KQP which was many years ago. And that's a strange key config. Would you believe that I actually use the arrow (not numpad) keys? Also I changed my old "zoom" key to use "taunt" instead. It works a lot better lol.

what point about the hook?

for an informative thread, "i will never use the hook for quake 3" serves no purpose. and i've never heard of kqp.

what's "strange" about my key config? the fact that movement is shifted one key over from wasd to esdf? HOW ODD.

my keyboard doesn't have a numpad.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby IriDeck » Fri Oct 23, 2009 19:13 UTC

Ditto. I use ESDF for my movements as well, space for jump, c for crouch, etc. r is for +button6's toggle. a for items. My config is actually quite similar to yours, AG.

If the arrow keys work for you, Trip, then great. However, the arrow keys aren't very strategically placed for hitting surrounding keys for switching weaponry, movement, point of view, etc. Using the letters might help to improve your game, after the initial annoying throw-off that it does....
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby IJ » Sat Oct 24, 2009 01:08 UTC

First off, awesome post AG. Just out of curiosity, do you use forcemodel? I always assumed you probably were using it since you use a very easy to spot red skin. Although your comment on playing against other peoples strategies makes me wonder...

I want to add in, for anyone looking to get in some good practice railing I highly recommend jumping on the server when there's no one on. Ms gauntlet's strafing makes her a great practice target. Which is one of the reasons that when I'm playing against someone who I know will rail me given the chance, I try to strafe instead of jump. One of my problems regarding strafing is that on my current config I have the 0 button on the number pad (kp_ins) set to rail through. So when I'm railing through I can only comfortably strafe left. Maybe it's time to look into a switch to turn the rail through on and off. Speaking of which, you recommend not using config binds, but you posted this in your keybinds:

bind w "vstr afon"

What is afon? How does that work?

Another addition I'd like to throw in, is I think it's good to know when to rail through and when to go for some splash damage, and get used to switching back and forth at the opportune moment.

One thing I did have to do that you didn't recommend is change the m_yaw and pitch. For me this was completely necessary, although I have yet to figure out why. Without those being tweaked I had my sensitivity set to 0.1 and I was still all over the place. This may be hardware related, I still have yet to figure out what's going on there. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm playing on a 24" monitor with 1920x1200 resolution. Changing the m_yaw and pitch helped me bring it a more reasonable range. My current config is:
sensitivity "1"
cl_mouseAccel ".5"
m_pitch ".005"
m_yaw ".005"

As to the ultimate weapon, I've decided that the utmost bad ass way to frag someone is to shoot a rocket at just the right distance to ms gauntlet to send her flying towards your opponent and humiliate them. Granted you don't get the frag for it, but come on.... it doesn't get better than that.
IJ
Former Admin

Postby IriDeck » Sat Oct 24, 2009 05:14 UTC

inspectorjimb wrote:As to the ultimate weapon, I've decided that the utmost bad ass way to frag someone is to shoot a rocket at just the right distance to ms gauntlet to send her flying towards your opponent and humiliate them. Granted you don't get the frag for it, but come on.... it doesn't get better than that.

Actually, yes--I'll agree with that! The Gauntlet isn't the ultimate weapon...MS. Gauntlet is the ultimate weapon! :lol:
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby Tripredacus » Sat Oct 24, 2009 07:17 UTC

IriDeck wrote:Ditto. I use ESDF for my movements as well, space for jump, c for crouch, etc. r is for +button6's toggle. a for items. My config is actually quite similar to yours, AG.

If the arrow keys work for you, Trip, then great. However, the arrow keys aren't very strategically placed for hitting surrounding keys for switching weaponry, movement, point of view, etc. Using the letters might help to improve your game, after the initial annoying throw-off that it does....

Its too late for me IriDeck. I've been using the arrow keys since the Quake demo came out in 96. My weapon config is:
Left Shift = rail
/ = alt fire
Ctrl = rocket
(num1) = next weapon
(num0) = gauntlet
end = taunt
enter = use item

@Godzilla, KQP = Killer Quake Pack. It was a mod for the original Quake game. it included a "Hook" weapon, but was more like a flail. The main difference was you could hook upon enemies or players, and switch and use another weapon. Instead on Vogon, you can only do that on objects or walls. I used to have this mod back in the 90s on my old Win98 box, but can't find it nowadays. it does support GL/WinQuake. Here is a pic of the old hook/Morning Star:

KQP also has other good mods such as gibs to all models (including the ability to kill the hanging zombies in entrance), aimable rockets, portable/remote camera, auto-shield and "true water." True water meaning if you shot the water with the Thunderbolt and an enemy was in it, they would get hurt/die.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:11 UTC

Tripredacus wrote:(...) The main difference was you could hook upon enemies or players, and switch and use another weapon. Instead on Vogon, you can only do that on objects or walls.(...)

Hook does damage, you can hook to players, but damage is very high so hook can be used as a weapon. Ask any admin to lower the damage and then you can test hook on other players or bots, but we find it best to be close to instant-kill, because game is usually too fast for anything else.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby IriDeck » Sat Oct 24, 2009 15:27 UTC

Trip, it's never too late. It just means you go back to n00bster status for a while. I just kept fucking with my config until I found something efficient, which is why I was a n00b for, what, 3 years? :lol:

IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat Oct 24, 2009 23:13 UTC

This is the ultimate weapon, it tests your skill -- if you are clumsy with it, you will injure and hopefully kill yourself. Then it tests your courage, you need to approach the enemy undetected, or shock them, so they are incapable of escaping. It is a close-range weapon and there is a lot of blood involved, so it tests your inner strength too, how strong or weak you may be in character, after seeing all the skulls crushed and terror in the eyes of those who are destined to die on that day.

It should be mandatory for all the politicians to master, before they send men and women into wars. Preferably with them on the front lines, like in ancient battles when kings led the attack, so people knew cause for the war is real and not some corporate spineless bullshit.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby Zoloft » Sat Oct 24, 2009 23:29 UTC

dyn wrote:
Tripredacus wrote:(...) The main difference was you could hook upon
enemies or players, and switch and use another weapon. Instead on
Vogon, you can only do that on objects or walls.(...)

Hook
does damage, you can hook to players, but damage is very high so hook
can be used as a weapon. Ask any admin to lower the damage and then you
can test hook on other players or bots, but we find it best to be close
to instant-kill, because game is usually too fast for anything else.

Actually I never see any admin on the server, just a thought. Except for that x Kitty banning people
Ok Mabey AG at times
Zoloft

Postby IriDeck » Sun Oct 25, 2009 00:38 UTC

I was on quite a bit yesterday and the day before. But I'm usually on either at lunchtime or later in the evening (Midnight-2AM EDT).
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby AG » Sun Oct 25, 2009 01:51 UTC

inspectorjimb wrote:First off, awesome post AG. Just out of curiosity, do you use forcemodel? I always assumed you probably were using it since you use a very easy to spot red skin. Although your comment on playing against other peoples strategies makes me wonder...

i turn on both cg_forcemodel and cg_deferplayers, but not for any visual reason.

if i don't, i get network clipping as players log on and off and i've never been able to fix it. in challenging games on instakill with good players, there was too much involved with accuracy and precision to be disrupted by random network clipping.

regarding my player model, i'm not that big into games, but i loved doom and played it with friends via modem for years. i use red doom for nostalgia.

some models might be easier to see than others, but each of the default q3 models have maps where they will blend in to surroundings. i have a lot of trouble seeing red doom on any of the brownish and grayish maps.

the only way to get a real visual advantage would be to import custom models like that stupid brite skins shit.

inspectorjimb wrote:I want to add in, for anyone looking to get in some good practice railing I highly recommend jumping on the server when there's no one on. Ms gauntlet's strafing makes her a great practice target. Which is one of the reasons that when I'm playing against someone who I know will rail me given the chance, I try to strafe instead of jump.

excellent point. ms gauntlet is the hardest person in the game to hit with rail. it's good target practice, and you can get some movement tips from her.

inspectorjimb wrote:One of my problems regarding strafing is that on my current config I have the 0 button on the number pad (kp_ins) set to rail through. So when I'm railing through I can only comfortably strafe left. Maybe it's time to look into a switch to turn the rail through on and off.

Speaking of which, you recommend not using config binds, but you posted this in your keybinds:

bind w "vstr afon"

What is afon? How does that work?

i recommend not using config binds for things you can or should do yourself. i'd used a rocket jumping bind for a while when i started, but realized i was just holding myself back by not learning how to do it manually.

the bind above is for toggling alt-fire. "bind w af" does the exact same thing, but because of differences in the technicalities behind how they work (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1017&p=15047#p15047), the +button6 bind works more reliably for me.

inspectorjimb wrote:One thing I did have to do that you didn't recommend is change the m_yaw and pitch. For me this was completely necessary, although I have yet to figure out why. Without those being tweaked I had my sensitivity set to 0.1 and I was still all over the place. This may be hardware related, I still have yet to figure out what's going on there. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm playing on a 24" monitor with 1920x1200 resolution.

getting your mouse just right is definitely tricky. operating system settings, driver software settings, mouse internals and q3 settings are all factors.

m_yaw and m_pitch are the types of variables that should only be changed if really needed, and that's not going to be the case very often for the average player.

i've got a razer deathadder at home and still haven't gotten the fucking thing working like i want.

inspectorjimb wrote:As to the ultimate weapon, I've decided that the utmost bad ass way to frag someone is to shoot a rocket at just the right distance to ms gauntlet to send her flying towards your opponent and humiliate them. Granted you don't get the frag for it, but come on.... it doesn't get better than that.

YES.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby IriDeck » Sun Oct 25, 2009 04:51 UTC

Here, here. I can see AG pretty easily on most maps, except for red- and brown-tinged maps like Q3DM2 and the like. On those, he's almost as invisible as the damn skellies.

On maps like that, a good portion of my frags are reflexively lucky, since I will usually wait for a railslug to fly past before I counter. I think some have figured that out, as people are starting to sneak up on me. :)

Ditto on the deferplayers bit. I still get the lag from time to time, regardless of tweakage. I just try to go with the flow, for the most part.
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby Tripredacus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 05:13 UTC

For some reason Godzilla, your model is easy to shoot for me. :DD
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby DarthVandreadXY » Tue Oct 27, 2009 05:29 UTC

>o> !!! yeahhh :D
DarthVandreadXY

Postby scumB » Wed Oct 28, 2009 13:47 UTC

Last night AG with his boomstick mopped the floor with the other fraggers on several levels, though mostly on the longest yard.

Good stuff.

I try to be like him . ;) Already im wearing red (and since Major is less bulky, less likely an easy target as well)

scumB-AG (that sounds even better)
scumB

Postby AG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 15:48 UTC

lol
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby IJ » Fri Nov 06, 2009 15:34 UTC

Is there a place to download/copy the default cfg file for q3? I'd like to try to go back the original and modify from there and would like to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling.
IJ
Former Admin

Postby AG » Fri Nov 06, 2009 18:21 UTC

inspectorjimb wrote:Is there a place to download/copy the default cfg file for q3? I'd like to try to go back the original and modify from there and would like to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling.

i'll assume you're using autoexec.cfg for your settings.

1. backup your current autoexec.cfg somewhere in case you want it later.
2. delete any q3config.cfg files in baseq3/ or any of the vogon-t#/ folders.
3. create a new autoexec.cfg and use only the settings you want or need.

if you want to know the default value of a cvar, just type it into the q3 console (ex. \r_gamma). you'll get "r_gamma" is:"1.15" default:"1".

if you want more info on how configs work, this thread explains the loading process in more detail.
AG
Q3 Admin

Next

Return to Quake 3