Quake 3 MultiPlayer Problem

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

Quake 3 MultiPlayer Problem

Postby King Quake » Thu Jun 03, 2010 20:36 UTC

Hi,

I was trying to use the multi player option in Q3 to join the Vogon server (which I have done thousands of times before) but it just "hangs" and doesn't work. Eventually it will go to the next screen but doesn't seem able to connect to the Master Server?

If I wait long enough I can get to the point where it is trying to connect to the Vogon server but it fails and comes back with " No or bad challenge for your address"?

Anyone know what is happening. Do I have a corrupted file?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
King Quake

Re: Quake 3 MultiPlayer Problem

Postby dyn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 21:21 UTC

I saw it once. Does it happen a lot? Take note of server port, is it 27960/27961 or something else? There are 2 possibilities why is this happening, one of them is something around ports, so i need to know. On the other hand, new system connects you faster, unless this error occurs. There should be no delays at all.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Postby DEAN SINSTROM » Thu Jun 03, 2010 23:14 UTC

I'm getting weirdness too, whether I try connecting to vogon or use the in-game browser to look for other servers. Here's a screenshot of the message my console gives me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DEAN SINSTROM
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM1

Postby King Quake » Thu Jun 03, 2010 23:49 UTC

Hi,

I was using the 27960 port, but I am guessing that the port wouldn't matter.

I'm thinking I may have to re-install the game.

TB
King Quake

Postby craij » Fri Jun 04, 2010 00:29 UTC

I got it too.

I have tried re-installing to no avail. Any time I try to go to multiplayer or just simply /connect... it hangs. Nothin', caput. What a buzz kill.

Here's my specs:
MacBook Pro
Mac OSX 10.6.3
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB DDR3 Memory

Like Dean, it parses maps and bots, then dead.
craij

Postby dyn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 01:31 UTC

No, don't reinstall, it's not your problem, this is server side. Just remember what you did to get this error, because it doesn't happen all the time, so you can try it one more time after server is updated.

Btw, ioquake3 uses this mode to connect when game is "standalone", so i guess in case they don't change this behavior/bug it may occur at games using ioq3 engine. One example where this occurs is Tremulous game and i believe it's exactly same bug. http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=12754.0
dyn
Site Admin

Postby dyn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 07:35 UTC

I set different servers, check each one of them, if possible few times in a row. New server code is on existing US servers, UK server and on the Experiment server. Each server has different potential solution. I couldn't reproduce this bug, so i can't test it. Maybe i could reproduce it if you send me your configs.

Servers to try:
q3.vogon.vg:27960
q3.vogon.vg:27961
q3.vogon.vg:40001
uk.vogon.vg:27960

At CTF server (q3.vogon.vg:27961) approx. 1s delay when connecting is normal, done on purpose. Hostname q3.vogon.vg is same as vogon.vg, it is best to use q3.vogon.vg.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby King Quake » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:40 UTC

Hi Dyn,

Thanks for the help.

I tried connecting with the new Q3.Vogon.Vg address and I was able to connect. The game still "Hung Up" when selecting MultiPlayer, but it eventually allowed me to Specify the server address and connect. It was slow to connect though but once in the game all was fine.

Is there a way to attach a config file to a message or do I have to Pm it?

TB
King Quake

Postby dyn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:54 UTC

You should try others as well, because all 4 are up so we can see which solution is best.

Forum supports attaching files, below Reply box there should be 'Upload attachment' tab.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby craij » Fri Jun 04, 2010 16:56 UTC

Here was my experience with these server addresses:

q3.vogon.vg:27960 ... 1 minute to get to "Awaiting Challenge...1", 35 seconds to load arena and play
q3.vogon.vg:27961 ... "no or bad challenge for address"
q3.vogon.vg:40001 ... same as q3.vogon.vg:27960
uk.vogon.vg:27960 ... "no or bad challenge for address"
craij

Postby AG » Fri Jun 04, 2010 19:08 UTC

someone reported dns problems for the master server on the ioq3 mailing list.

i always connect directly: \connect vogon.vg
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby dyn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 20:25 UTC

Resolving update.quake3arena.com
Couldn't resolve address
Resolving authorize.quake3arena.com
Couldn't resolve address
Yes, if you see crap like this (before it even starts connecting), do it again with /reconnect, so you won't think resolving timeouts are caused by our servers. Client is still resolving/sending crap to auth server, even when everything auth was moved to server -- complete waste of time, as well as for update server. Only server client should resolve and use is master server to get servers to ping. Auth and update stuff is not used anymore, it only wastes time, especially when there are DNS resolving errors.

I updated all 3 US servers with different setups, try again q3.vogon.vg:27960, q3.vogon.vg:27961 and q3.vogon.vg:40001. UK one is back to normal, not testing anything.

It is important you test all 3 US servers again, so we can locate this problem. It is something with id servers/dns or maybe ioquake3 (i doubt it), before we never had this issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby AG » Fri Jun 04, 2010 23:07 UTC

wow... i just tried to connect, gave those errors and just sat there for about five minutes.

i'm using ioq3 on a mac -- i added the following to /etc/hosts:

Code: Select all
127.0.0.1       authorize.quake3arena.com
127.0.0.1       update.quake3arena.com

connects fine now with no delays.
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby dyn » Sat Jun 05, 2010 00:28 UTC

Yes, that's a great tip! You can also edit hosts file on Windows. Only thing which pisses me off is not many people know they can resolve this shit that way, so if id Software pulls the plug on Q3 90%+ of current Q3 players will be gone.

Sometimes you can connect after few timeouts, sometimes you get errors all the time. This system is really obsolete, because client-side auth was only used in earlier versions, then it was moved to the server, with auth crap @ client still sending info to auth server for some strange reason, hence all the resolving errors -- clients want to contact the authorize server, only then it connects, and then server again asks the authorize server if client is OK to let in (when sv_strictAuth is 1).

Anyone interested can check source code and you will see client auth is a total waste of time, especially when sv_strictAuth 0 is set -- clients can play regardless of cd-key used. If this cvar is part of the system, then why not skip authorization process completely? You see, Q3 and even ioquake3 could be improved in many ways regarding this. But now it's too late, people are not really interested in upgrading Quake 3, even if id releases new version (which won't happen) -- how many of you actually use 1.32c anyway? Most use 1.32b point release, some still use 1.32 from 2002. If new patch comes out, not much people would notice it, even if it's directly from Zenimax.

In short, i am not sure why is this issue spreading over few days already. How hard is to maintain DNS server anyway? Changes to DNS usually propagate in few hours globally so all this is extremely strange, either they have complete morons employed there or they want to pull the plug on Q3.

I think i figured out what's the problem with DNS -- Zenimax (lol) in charge of DNS servers, just look at this:
 Domain Name: QUAKE3ARENA.COM
 Domain servers in listed order:
   NS1.ZENIMAX.COM              12.145.63.40
   NS2.ZENIMAX.COM

host authorize.quake3arena.com
authorize.quake3arena.com A record not found, server failure
host quake3arena.com
quake3arena.com A record not found, server failure
host www.quake3arena.com
www.quake3arena.com A record not found, server failure

NS2 doesn't even point to a server! Maybe they should pay some kid $50 to set it up properly. :-D
dyn
Site Admin

Postby DEAN SINSTROM » Sat Jun 05, 2010 01:43 UTC

I also get this message:
DEAN SINSTROM
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat Jun 05, 2010 03:13 UTC

Yes, but it's impossible to say what the hell is wrong since experts at Zenimax/id can't fix their DNS server. When stuff is fixed we can test. If you can connect try all 3 US servers, after you added authorize/update to hosts file. There are apps to edit hosts file easily, this one looks nice, 100% free: Simple HostsEd 1.01

If everything is correct, Q3 should output something like this when connecting, both resolved to 127.0.0.1:
]\connect vogon.vg
Resolving update.quake3arena.com
update.quake3arena.com resolved to 127.0.0.1:27951
vogon.vg resolved to 68.168.212.218:27960
Resolving authorize.quake3arena.com
authorize.quake3arena.com resolved to 127.0.0.1:27952

With edited hosts file we can test before Q3 DNS is fixed, and also you will connect to all servers faster, because you effectively skip authorize step.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby dyn » Sat Jun 05, 2010 18:29 UTC

Seems to be resolved now. I sent email to id Software yesterday about this problem, and suggested experts at Zenimax should perhaps consult DNS server/Bind manual now and then. Of course i got no answer, but today it's fixed. They had no choice, but to listen to me. :-D

While DNS is resolving, entire system still has only one server (IP), so it may go down again. It appears someone just rebooted that faulty server, or some solution like that. So, i suggest you still use hosts file, redirect everything to 127.0.0.1 (localhost), in case their DNS fails again. Also, resolving is instant that way and you will connect faster to all Q3 servers.

If you have time, test again all 3 US servers -- they are still using different setups. That way we will see if there is any delay not related to DNS, just in case.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby King Quake » Sun Jun 06, 2010 00:55 UTC

Hi Dyn,

Don't understand all that techno talk about host servers. But I can connect normally again!!!

THANKS A HEAP!!! :popcorn:

TB

PS

I don't seem to have a button to upload attachments?
King Quake

Postby DEAN SINSTROM » Mon Jun 07, 2010 02:04 UTC

King Quake wrote:I don't seem to have a button to upload attachments?

It doesn't show up in 'quick reply... it only shows up when you use the red 'post reply' button
DEAN SINSTROM
Former Admin

Postby craij » Tue Jun 08, 2010 02:29 UTC

All's right in the world again. Stepping out of my fallout shelter now. Thanks Quake3 god/s. *looks up*
craij

Postby dyn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 20:12 UTC

Cool, i will optimize few things in the next 24 hours, so let me know if there are any delays.

If you see 'couldn't resolve' errors in console then it's not our problem, it's DNS error @ id Software/Zenimax servers. You can still connect fast, even if their DNS is down by using hosts file as described above. Under normal circumstances connecting should be fast.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby dyn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 20:51 UTC

Master server was down again, i emailed Carmack, he forwarded it to IT and they fixed it. :)
dyn
Site Admin

Return to Quake 3