1v1 tournament???

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

Re: 1v1 tournament???

Postby Shurik rus » Mon Oct 11, 2010 16:37 UTC

craij wrote:i gotta side with ag on this one ... whenever shurik is getting housed ... he complains about his connection ... aka, most of the time

In your home HQ my connection real bad (high distanse). Ofcourse you side with AG(canada and america bro) LOL :roll:
Shurik rus

Postby AG » Mon Oct 11, 2010 18:18 UTC

not missing the point at all.
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby craij » Mon Oct 11, 2010 20:56 UTC

dyn wrote:Anything over 100 ping is harder to play, no matter which weapons you are using ... but you cannot just react to stimuli, as players with very low ping can ...

It is for this reason exactly that I call BS on a few of these RUS players. It goes well beyond predictions and luck when these HPBs are that consistent. Then brag when they win or bitch when they lose. Again, a RUS filter ... I'd pay for that. :)
craij

Server: FFA

Postby eiseN. » Tue Oct 12, 2010 16:07 UTC

OMG!!! FUCK DISPUTE!!!
Shame on you guys... :(
eiseN.

Postby Shurik rus » Tue Oct 12, 2010 17:41 UTC

eiseN. wrote:OMG!!! FUCK DISPUTE!!!
Shame on you guys... :(

Sorry Eisen yep shame
Shurik rus

Postby Apocalypse » Tue Oct 12, 2010 21:32 UTC

shurik we cant delete all your posts. thread would make no sence. i would have to delete entire thread and i am not doing that.
Apocalypse
Former Admin

Favorite map: Winter_Crash
Server: COD4

Postby Tripredacus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 01:08 UTC

Shurik rus wrote:
pow3r RUS wrote:PING 150-200 IT IS THE PROBLEM

NO!!! Problem it is ping 250 or more.

Not really. Ping that high is only a problem for other players. If you are the high pinger it only means you have to adjust your timing. I remember days with high pings. It didn't matter. Of course lower pings means I can switch weapons faster and shoot without leading the target which is awesome. I am not sure I could go back...
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM2

Postby Shurik rus » Wed Oct 13, 2010 16:16 UTC

Apocalypse wrote:shurik we cant delete all your posts. thread would make no sence. i would have to delete entire thread and i am not doing that.

Okay!
Shurik rus

Postby King Quake » Wed Oct 13, 2010 17:01 UTC

Hi,

As far as I'm concerned anybody with a 100+ping beating a skilled player with a 20 ping is cheating in some fashion. Anybody from over seas in Europe (particularily Russia) beating a skilled LPB in USA IS MOST DEFINATELY CHEATING.

Just my bias.

TB
King Quake

Postby AG » Wed Oct 13, 2010 17:30 UTC

General_T wrote:Hi,

As far as I'm concerned anybody with a 100+ping beating a skilled player with a 20 ping is cheating in some fashion. Anybody from over seas in Europe (particularily Russia) beating a skilled LPB in USA IS MOST DEFINATELY CHEATING.

Just my bias.

TB

funny that *you* of all people, king quake, would be making accusations like that.

if you don't have a demo, you don't have a case.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby King Quake » Wed Oct 13, 2010 17:36 UTC

Hi AG,

I hear you, it is just my opinion. Just like yours.

Cheers
King Quake

Postby AG » Wed Oct 13, 2010 17:46 UTC

General_T wrote:Hi AG,

I hear you, it is just my opinion. Just like yours.

Cheers

that's not an opinion.

let's reiterate: if you don't have a demo of cheating, don't waste time with accusations.

i assure you, you are the last person who needs to be doing that.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby craij » Wed Oct 13, 2010 22:44 UTC

This is getting more and more interesting and less and less about the 1v1 tourney. (Which I will glady make vogon donation bets against anyone who cares to.)

AG wrote:...if you don't have a demo of cheating, don't waste time with accusations...

My question is: how reliable are these demos of some players anyway? If one was a skilled enough player and had a fine tuned aimbot, couldn't they just make sure it looks as though they are tracking the opponent correctly? (Hopefully I am describing this well enough.) Let's say they were already a really good player, then they used a bot that didn't aim for them, just hit the target for them ... would you really be able to tell? Especially if this bot had some sort of hit/miss randomizer built in? If they were already a good player and got 10 - 20% more accuracy out of a bot, that would make them pretty damn good wouldn't you say?

I don't want to beat that HPB horse to death, nor toot my own proverbial horn, but its just really hard for me to see how some of these guys can be that good. AG, Inspectorjimb, Gumby, KQ ... I get these ... they have mad skills and good connections. But when I connect to the UK server and am a "middle of the pack" player there with a 100 ping and then see 150+ pingers come to US server and become master "snipers", I just gotta wonder... are they really that good? Really?

PS, I'm going to go ahead and pretend that I can't read Inspectorjimb's or Dean's next comments. :megagrin:
craij

Postby AG » Thu Oct 14, 2010 00:18 UTC

this thread isn't for the tournament anymore. sign up and current info is at viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1538.

anyway, the higher the ping, the more difficult it is to compete -- this does not mean it is impossible.

yes, it can be difficult to catch cheaters. either way, if a player suspects someone of cheating, they should either take a demo or ask an admin to keep an eye out. filling the forum with or chat spamming baseless accusations is a waste of time, energy, and just plain encourages stupid shit.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby AG » Thu Oct 14, 2010 00:23 UTC

craij wrote:My question is: how reliable are these demos of some players anyway?

to address this particular question more directly, i personally don't ban anyone because i *think* they might cheat. if i can't prove it, i don't do it. that means it can sometimes take time to watch for when the person eventually slips up to provide enough evidence.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby SD » Thu Oct 14, 2010 17:40 UTC

AG wrote:
craij wrote:My question is: how reliable are these demos of some players anyway?

to address this particular question more directly, i personally don't ban anyone because i *think* they might cheat. if i can't prove it, i don't do it. that means it can sometimes take time to watch for when the person eventually slips up to provide enough evidence.

Yes, I would agree with that, I do things the same way. "I'm pretty much almost nearly thinking he could possibly maybe perhaps be up to something" etc is not good enough.
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3

Postby SD » Thu Oct 14, 2010 17:45 UTC

General_T wrote:Hi,

Just my bias.

TB

Hmm. Forgive me for saying so, but that is complete and utter crap. Before we had UK servers I was playing against the best here with my 120 ping vs their 20-30 ping. AG, and many others will vouch for the fact that it's possible to adapt to it. It DOES take time and it IS frustrating but it can be done. A few times I came close to levelling up with AG, who of the admins here is in my opinion the best player, quite a few times. So just because someone with a higher ping beats a known good player with a lower ping, that does NOT automatically mean they're cheating.
SD
Former Admin

Postby craij » Thu Oct 14, 2010 18:16 UTC

SD wrote:Hmm. Forgive me for saying so, but that is complete and utter crap. Before we had UK servers I was playing against the best here with my 120 ping vs their 20-30 ping. AG, and many others will vouch for the fact that it's possible to adapt to it. It DOES take time and it IS frustrating but it can be done. A few times I came close to levelling up with AG, who of the admins here is in my opinion the best player, quite a few times. So just because someone with a higher ping beats a known good player with a lower ping, that does NOT automatically mean they're cheating.

Agreed BUT there are two very important factors for consideration before I go and start to wonder "what if":
1) distance to server
2) player history
craij

Postby chaos252 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 06:05 UTC

i can play with high ping ok, anything over 150 becomes very difficult tho. what i dont understand, is when i play with high ping.. i have to wildly lead the target to hit them. it becomes a reflex and isnt totally impossible to predict where they'll be. when i spec some ppl with high ping tho, it doesnt appear they have to compensate that much. they look around smoothly, dont seem to lead etc.

is it just my pc?
chaos252
Former Admin

Favorite map: QZTOURNEY6

Postby craij » Fri Oct 15, 2010 15:45 UTC

exactly, i spec these HPBs and its like spec'ing "agjimgumbo" (my term for the top dogs)
if someone has a 150 ping and is doing well and is from the US ... fine, I can accept that
but if someone has a 200 ping and is doing VERY well and is from another continent ... can't
craij

Postby SD » Fri Oct 15, 2010 16:23 UTC

Well Craij, I suggest you START accepting it because sometimes that's just the way it is. I don't wish to sound like a stuck record, but someone who is well accustomed to playing with a 100-150 ping can hold their own against good players with low ping. Sounds like some of you have a hard time believing that anyone can beat you and start picking holes in any possible variable. As far as I'm concerned, anyone with a higher ping than me, who consistently beats me (and is not cheating), is just simply better than I am.
SD
Former Admin

Postby chaos252 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 17:35 UTC

hes talking specifically about shurik having good accuracy with 200 - 250 ping. the rate of speed in the game makes it hard to believe someone can do that. but maybe with years of playing over and over one just adapts. i wont get into my issue with him tho, as i have no proof.

anything under 150 really shouldnt be an issue.. its not THAT hard to adjust. i played in HQ1 with 100 ping for like 6 months and did fine
chaos252
Former Admin

Postby =RS= » Sat Oct 16, 2010 23:38 UTC

Ive been in many tournaments here on ctf no one complained about the ping or anything else we just played and the best team won, just do it come on stop bitching!
=RS=
Former Admin

Favorite map: any1
Server: CTF

Postby craij » Mon Oct 18, 2010 16:05 UTC

SD wrote:Sounds like some of you have a hard time believing that anyone can beat you and start picking holes in any possible variable.

I get beat by HPBs semi-daily. Chaos beat me just the other day. The kid was on fire. But I don't get suspicious when he kicks my ass (or most others for that matter). But when HPBs connecting from 5 thousand miles away are playing like they're resting their coffee on the server box (read: Inspectorjimb), I get suspicious.

Clearly they are just that good, huh?

=RS= wrote:Ive been in many tournaments here on ctf no one complained about the ping or anything else we just played and the best team won, just do it come on stop bitching!

Not bitching =RS= ... just pointing the finger.
craij

Postby AG » Mon Oct 18, 2010 16:21 UTC

craij wrote:
SD wrote:Sounds like some of you have a hard time believing that anyone can beat you and start picking holes in any possible variable.

I get beat by HPBs semi-daily. Chaos beat me just the other day. The kid was on fire. But I don't get suspicious when he kicks my ass (or most others for that matter). But when HPBs connecting from 5 thousand miles away are playing like they're resting their coffee on the server box (read: Inspectorjimb), I get suspicious.

Clearly they are just that good, huh?

=RS= wrote:Ive been in many tournaments here on ctf no one complained about the ping or anything else we just played and the best team won, just do it come on stop bitching!

Not bitching =RS= ... just pointing the finger.

i think there is a distinction in what you are doing versus king quake. it's fair enough to be suspicious of someone and ask how you can tell if someone might be cheating or how network lag affects the engine etc -- it isn't fair to flat out state that someone is cheating, yet have no actual evidence.

not constructive.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby craij » Mon Oct 18, 2010 18:33 UTC

word.
my last post on the subject.
craij

Postby chaos252 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 02:52 UTC

could we have like a monthly tournament? rotate different weekends or something to accommodate everyone?

i think vogon would be alot more interesting if there was a monthly tournament.
chaos252
Former Admin

Postby craij » Fri Oct 22, 2010 17:09 UTC

LAN party
same computers
same mice
default install
no access to internet

i'd probably lose horribly but i'd play this one
craij

Postby chaos252 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 18:33 UTC

mainly to just get all the good regulars in one place. almost all of you guys ill only catch one or two games with every now and then..
chaos252
Former Admin

Previous

Return to Quake 3