any interesting config settings?

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

any interesting config settings?

Postby AG » Wed Nov 17, 2010 18:17 UTC

lately i've been trying out different player config settings either for entertainment or challenge -- here are a couple things i've tried.

• no jumping - unbind jump and use only splash rail (or something with splash damage) for jumping.
  • move with only hook - unbind jump and movement keys. only use hook to move.
  • auto-change weapons - bind your attack button to shoot and then switch to next weapon (\bind mouse1 "+attack; weapnext")
can anyone think of anything else that would be fun or have something you've tried?
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Re: any interesting config settings?

Postby AG » Wed Nov 17, 2010 18:27 UTC

• suicide on 10th shot - self-explanatory. probably a better way to script this.

Code: Select all
    // suicide on 10th shot
    set killme0 "+attack; -attack; bind mouse1 vstr killme1"
    set killme1 "+attack; -attack; bind mouse1 vstr killme2"
    set killme2 "+attack; -attack; bind mouse1 vstr killme3"
    set killme3 "+attack; -attack; bind mouse1 vstr killme4"
    set killme4 "+attack; -attack; bind mouse1 vstr killme5"
    set killme5 "+attack; -attack; bind mouse1 vstr killme6"
    set killme6 "+attack; -attack; bind mouse1 vstr killme7"
    set killme7 "+attack; -attack; bind mouse1 vstr killme8"
    set killme8 "+attack; -attack; bind mouse1 vstr killme9"
    set killme9 "+attack; -attack; bind mouse1 vstr killme10"
    set killme10 "kill; bind mouse1 vstr killme0"
    bind mouse1 "vstr killme0"
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby craij » Thu Nov 18, 2010 17:22 UTC

AG wrote:
  • move with only hook - unbind jump and movement keys. only use hook to move.

since i have hook bound to mouse2, sometimes i'll play one-handed while i'm eating food. definitely fun and challenging.
or, since having +button5 hook enabled, sometimes i'll try to play "above ground" the entire level. especially fun when there are "hook haters" on board.
;)
craij

Server: FFA

Postby IJ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 18:49 UTC

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of your auto-change weapons thing. If you tend to use 3 or 4 main weapons during the game and have keys bound for them, it could be cool to switch up the weapon set. Not sure if you could write a script that would change the three-four key binds to random weapons on start up, but that could be a fun way to get used to playing with a particular set of weapons you don't often use.
IJ
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:28 UTC

That makes you less effective, when your need to react quickly it's best to have dumb config with separate buttons for separate most used weapons. Something you learn to use instinctively. It is good to focus on 2-4 weapons and ignore all others. Do not rely exclusively on hook to move around. Also, it may help to turn off various fps counters, lagometer, IM apps, TV and other distracting elements.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby Tripredacus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 05:00 UTC

dyn wrote:That makes you less effective, when your need to react quickly it's best to have dumb config with separate buttons for separate most used weapons. Something you learn to use instinctively. It is good to focus on 2-4 weapons and ignore all others. Do not rely exclusively on hook to move around. Also, it may help to turn off various fps counters, lagometer, IM apps, TV and other distracting elements.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I can see why there would be value in having a 10 shot counter as well as a move with just hook or move without hook/run. These things help players understand how the game works and more importantly how a player works. By that I mean that every player is different in how they use their weapons and they move.

There is some adjustment to vogon speeds, I understand this. However the adjustment for vogon speeds on base maps is a bit different than on larger/custom maps. As you did say, I focus on 4 weapons: Railgun, rocket, plasma, gauntlet. Railgun for most kills, rocket to move ( I don't use hook), plasma for close, gaunt for closer. While I had exp on vogon a while ago, after that I only did insta and jump servers. Any one who can do strafe jump has trouble on vogon because it is stock maps, I know I jump into walls often because I got used to jump maps and can't seem to shake it. Even so, there are ways to deal with that.

It really comes down to trying to be your best you can be. And whether or not you realise it, crazy settings or methods can help you find your best. I have a good "setting" that isn't a setting. You guys can try it out and see how it works for you:

I can turn faster than the mouse sensitivity setting on q3 and here is how. I have an optical mouse. When I look quickly (I do this instictively now sorry I cant help on how to do it), I end up lifting the mouse off the desk. Not a lot, definately less than a quarter of an inch. Try it out and see how it works for you.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM2

Postby dyn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:37 UTC

Yes, i think it depends on person. Some can do multitasking all the time, some naturally focus on few things only and get annoyed by complex configurations. There are also human limits, no matter how good you are at something, i believe you will be less effective if you have 15 vs. 5 options. This has nothing to do with intelligence, it is different part of your brain which is in charge of focus, like when hunting etc. Just like cats when they are focusing on something (prey, etc.), they will register you, but never get distracted by other stimuli. If your brain is working like that then it's best to have fewer options in config. This can differ among externally equally intelligent people, they may get same IQ score, but they differ in focus and certain verbal processing. It is nothing bad, just brains are "wired" differently, some people are more social and also emotional, others are more predator-like and have less emotions.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby AG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 16:59 UTC

dyn -- the stuff i'm talking about in this post is just to change up the game for entertainment or for the challenge of it. exercises. forcing yourself out of your comfort zone can improve different aspects of your game.

things like not jumping or only moving with hook help to not only understand q3 physics (especially at these speeds) but also reaction and awareness. the auto-suicide thing (at least with rail) forces you to be more discerning with shots.

plus, sometimes i might be playing with others who haven't been around as long or have high pings or whatever -- i don't want to just run over them, but i don't want to not try either.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby IJ » Mon Nov 22, 2010 19:24 UTC

dyn wrote: Just like cats when they are focusing on something (prey, etc.), they will register you, but never get distracted by other stimuli.

You apparently have not met my cats. :crazy3:

Ag, have you tried nothing but hook and gauntlet? The gauntlet is one weapon that I have been trying to get better with recently and the hook adds a whole new dimension to it.
IJ
Former Admin

Postby AG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 20:04 UTC

inspectorjimb wrote:
dyn wrote: Just like cats when they are focusing on something (prey, etc.), they will register you, but never get distracted by other stimuli.

Ag, have you tried nothing but hook and gauntlet? The gauntlet is one weapon that I have been trying to get better with recently and the hook adds a whole new dimension to it.

haha yeah. i'm not very good at it but seems good for close combat.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby craij » Mon Nov 22, 2010 20:32 UTC

AG wrote:
inspectorjimb wrote:

haha yeah. i'm not very good at it but seems good for close combat.

called the "hook-n-bump"
craij

Postby AG » Tue Nov 23, 2010 01:25 UTC

ain't nothin wring with a little bump n grind.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby dyn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 09:40 UTC

AG wrote:dyn -- the stuff i'm talking about in this post is just to change up the game for entertainment or for the challenge of it. exercises. forcing yourself out of your comfort zone can improve different aspects of your game.

things like not jumping or only moving with hook help to not only understand q3 physics (especially at these speeds) but also reaction and awareness. the auto-suicide thing (at least with rail) forces you to be more discerning with shots.

plus, sometimes i might be playing with others who haven't been around as long or have high pings or whatever -- i don't want to just run over them, but i don't want to not try either.

Yes i know, but stuff i wrote above is not that much about comfort zone, it's about differences in cognitive processing, which influences behavior and consequently playing style as well. Some people may get more skilled by having complex configs, but then again some may prefer simpler configs and playing under different conditions. For example, one could join high ping server in order to test his skill there, how he can adapt to different playing conditions, perhaps even new maps etc...

Nothing wrong with experimentation and research. When it comes to configs i prefer simple stuff which can be used almost instinctively. I am not against complex stuff, if this is done in background -- for Q1 i had buttons for "best explosive" and "best non-explosive" weapons, it was simple to use, and pretty smart by itself. Stuff like that can be very useful.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby fallout » Mon Oct 22, 2012 19:43 UTC

Don't laugh cause I'm askin a 'noob' question. :lol:
I can't remember what or if , there is a setting in Controls for 'sprinting'.
The reason I ask is, I've been playing COD4 and it has it.
Can someone burst my bubble, or make my day?

:crazy:
fallout
COD4 Admin

Favorite map: Countdown
Server: TDM

Postby dyn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 17:19 UTC

fallout wrote:Don't laugh cause I'm askin a 'noob' question. :lol:
I can't remember what or if , there is a setting in Controls for 'sprinting'.
The reason I ask is, I've been playing COD4 and it has it.
Can someone burst my bubble, or make my day?

Best is to use this in config, or type it in console /cl_run 1 or /bind x "toggle cl_run", then 'x' will turn it on or off.
Config:
seta cl_run "1"
(always running, what most people use)

Default run key for Q3 is SHIFT, it only works when you press it, in config ( quake3\baseq3\pak0.pk3\default.cfg ) it is defined like this:
bind    SHIFT       +speed
dyn
Site Admin

Postby Tripredacus » Wed Oct 24, 2012 05:45 UTC

Also strafe jump also works with vogon settings, but usually at an unacceptable degree. Unacceptable because vogon uses stock maps and they are not fit for the increased speed. So some maps the strafe jump works really well but others you end up running into walls. If you learn this "trick" you'll see and learn how to adapt it properly.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 09:50 UTC

You can guess i don't like strafe-jumping, which also shows in the mod itself. :) I never liked it, since Quake 1 days. I think it ruins the atmosphere and it looks silly. If you play football-with-guns type of games like CPMA, then yes bunny hop around all day, but that's different style of playing.

"Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sigourney Weaver don’t get down a hallway by hopping like a bunny rabbit." -- John Carmack
dyn
Site Admin

Postby Tripredacus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 02:43 UTC

Unfortunately for me, I learned it well before finding Vogon and it has been an automatic reaction when playing Quake 3. The thing that helps for here is that rockets and plasma have less splash damage, so it is easier to move around. Between vanilla Q3 and Vogon in my experience, I went to jump maps where this was required. It was an interesting thing to do at the time while the community was still before its peak. So it was odd for me when I see people use the hook in Vogon so much instead of using other methods to move around, especially considering the physics and self-immolation damage settings. While I had used the hook in previous games (notabley KQP) it never really felt right in Q3.

But I will say that I cannot quite figure out how to plasma walk with the Vogon physics, I basically give up on that one!
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 UTC

Since last mod revision there are additional cvars which can be used for that, mainly knockback/jump factor cvars. Current defaults for PlasmaGun are vg_pgJump 1.6 / vg_pgKB 0.6 ... This enables players to rocket jump with PlasmaGun, of course not as high as with rockets. With old settings i think normal PG splash was not powerful enough to affect much when running around at high speeds.
dyn
Site Admin

Return to Quake 3