Can't connect to Q3 Master Server

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

Can't connect to Q3 Master Server

Postby Tripredacus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 02:29 UTC

I haven't tried playing in awhile, lots of things going on. Today I tried but I can't get a list from the Master Server nor specify any address. It just freezes and says it can't find update.quake3arena.com. It is interesting because the console does say that it connects to the Punkbuster server.

The only thing different is that I am using a new router. I have forwarded the port range used by Master Server and Vogon, but not able to get anywhere. Is there any other ports I should be forwarding?

There is no difference if I run as admin or not, using 7PRO32.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM2
Server: FFA

Re: Can't connect to Q3 Master Server

Postby AG » Fri Jan 07, 2011 05:58 UTC

\connect q3.vogon.vg
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby dyn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 13:26 UTC

Check this post: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1313&p=19021#p19021

Sometimes id server may time out, so it's best to just add it to hosts file as 127.0.0.1. Check post linked for info how to do it.
Code: Select all
127.0.0.1 authorize.quake3arena.com
127.0.0.1 update.quake3arena.com
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby Tripredacus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 04:41 UTC

This doesn't seem to be the case. I have added those to my host ( I may yet remove them as I do play on other servers from time to time) but that isn't helping. I am experiencing the same problem as with my old router. When I click the Multiplayer button in Q3 (it tries to find Master even with localhost set) the connection on the router resets. Fortunately, the router i have now doesn't lock up like the last one. But my last absense was caused by my old router before I updated to DD-WRT. I also noticed that Q3 tried to connect on port 27951 so I opened that too but to no avail.

I am now using a Linksys Dual-Band router (my Q3 PC is connected via ethernet) and all settings are stock except for:
- SSIDs = ABZU (abg) ANU (n) [both are secured with 2 diff AES keys]
- router name = XUL (which doesn't matter since it isn't broadcast anyways which I was sad to find out)
- port forward to my IP for Q3 (27951-279610)

So I'm not sure if there are any other settings I should add or search out an open source firmware like the last one.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby Tripredacus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 04:07 UTC

I tried researching this problem again but was sad to only find this:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=10276.0

So I may yet have to use custom firmware on my new router. It may be entirely possible that there is some standard that causes this problem, as it seems strange that two different manufacturer's factory firmwares do the exact same thing.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat Feb 26, 2011 09:20 UTC

Well master server itself was down few weeks ago, but this appears to be different problem you have. I don't think you really need special firmware to contact Q3 master server, problem seems to be elsewhere, especially if 2 different routers have the same issue. However to play you can map master to 127.0.0.1, you will be then able to join at least our servers.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby Tripredacus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 18:27 UTC

The router doesn't reset when I go to the multiplayer button. I did have both update and master set to loopback, so it just doesn't show anything. If I try to do a connect by either using the console or the specify button, the router then resets all interfaces including both wireless bands. Quake also ends up timing out and going back to the main menu but it doesn't actually log any errors.

After some testing, I was able to confirm that all the proper ports were forwarded, but UDP seemed to be a little slow, while TCP was almost instant.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Return to Quake 3