hook is not working in CTF

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

Re: hook is not working in CTF

Postby SD » Sun Dec 11, 2011 17:31 UTC

And further to this, I was just watching Chuva (Hook back please) in CTF making very good use of the weapon10 hook, and rail jumping and pinging him self off walls etc rather well. Was pretty impressive to watch - I really don't know why all this great upset over this.
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby chuva » Sun Dec 11, 2011 17:52 UTC

As said XTREME YUZI, Vogon is unique with a hook. Without the hook is like the other servers.
Angry? Perhaps badly said. Rather disappointed. How to convince you that ctf decline. No one plays there. You saw it yourself SD!!

Vogon is Hook!!! Without hook is one of many. The same as everything around.

Finally open the eyes.

And no cry like a girl, I am a girl ;)
chuva
TM

Server: CTF

Postby SD » Sun Dec 11, 2011 18:03 UTC

chuva wrote:
And no cry like a girl, I am a girl ;)

Ah, lol ok you got me. Sorry. But what I said in game still stands - you are a very good CTF player, with or without the hook, I wouldn't stand a chance against you. But this hook business is nothing to get upset over, it will be back soon I'm sure.
SD
Former Admin

Postby R0tnAx » Sun Dec 11, 2011 22:04 UTC

Lol it's awesome. But the bad point if that none's playing anymore. And agaisnt aimbot bot that boring...
R0tnAx

Favorite map: Q3CTF1

Postby AG » Mon Dec 12, 2011 01:11 UTC

to reiterate my question.

what is it about these ctf regulars that they are COMPLETELY UNABLE TO PLAY if there are any slight changes. "it was an error", "it is temporary" and/or "just try it for a while" are completely lost on them. i understand liking and being good at certain settings, but get over it.

nobody is playing there because everybody is here posting how you aren't going to play unless we meet your demands.

i know you guys have "elevated your game to a higher art form" or whatever, but maybe you'd get more new players if every single match didn't consist of 50 seconds of the exact same camping, spamming, slingshotting back and forth and ascii penis chat messages every ten seconds...
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17

Postby chuva » Mon Dec 12, 2011 17:55 UTC

AG wrote:if there are any slight changes.

Ha Ha... Your "Slight changes" completely changed the type of game lol...

Think before you write something.

Do what you want. This is my last response to yours "little change". Maybe you think it finally.

Thank you
chuva
TM

Postby SD » Mon Dec 12, 2011 18:00 UTC

chuva wrote:
AG wrote:if there are any slight changes.

Ha Ha... Your "Slight changes" completely changed the type of game lol...

Do what you want. This is my last response to yours "little change". Maybe you think it finally.

Thank you

Doesn't the fact that IT'S ONLY TEMPORARY ease the pain? Are you seriously telling me that this change is just so intolerable you simply can't play at all?
SD
Former Admin

Postby chuva » Mon Dec 12, 2011 18:05 UTC

I play, but alone vs bots... lol Nobody is there..!!!! Therefore I try to convince you...
chuva
TM

Postby AG » Mon Dec 12, 2011 18:54 UTC

chuva wrote:Ha Ha... Your "Slight changes" completely changed the type of game lol...

oh, i'm well aware of what i'm writing.

it was established long ago that vogon is chaos. settings can and will change at any moment. some changes are experimental, some are to change the game style, some are to keep things from getting stale. don't like some particular setting? wait a bit because it'll either change again or revert back to traditional vogon settings. maybe, if you gave it a chance, you might learn new techniques or just have fun for entertainment's sake.

face it. ctf has a small number of regulars who have traditionally been incapable of adapting to any kind of change. "ours little change" was probably originally an error, but the guy that runs this server wanted to try something different for a bit. deal with it. this whining and boycotting is childish and a waste of time. this is a freaking ten year old game that we're all volunteering time, energy and money to keep going for the fun of it.

ctf is lucky that, excluding watching for cheaters, i'm pretty apathetic towards it. i like to mess with shit all the time — i'd totally put ctf on test_bigbox just because it's funny to see people get so enraged over video game changes.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby AG » Mon Dec 12, 2011 18:56 UTC

#occupyCTF
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby SD » Mon Dec 12, 2011 19:00 UTC

AG wrote:i'd totally put ctf on test_bigbox

WHY have I not thought of this already?! This is an AMAZING idea and I'm going to HAVE to do it next time players are on CTF! And with an insane hook too :DD
SD
Former Admin

Postby AG » Mon Dec 12, 2011 19:35 UTC

SD wrote:

WHY have I not thought of this already?! This is an AMAZING idea and I'm going to HAVE to do it next time players are on CTF! And with an insane hook too :DD

the flag points need to be added to it. we'll have to think about the best positioning though — it's a very strategic map. initially, i'd say one in two opposing corners, but maybe it should be the opposite opposing corners. or in the middle, right next to each other.

did you ever see the bfg slow-bomb i put on ffa that everybody hated? i think disabling all weapons but adding the slow-bomb would be very effective on this map.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby SD » Mon Dec 12, 2011 20:10 UTC

I think flags in the opposing diagonal corners is a bad idea, they should be in the other opposing diagonal corners instead, this is much fairer than the first opposing diagonal corners. I think this is the best option on such a complex map, players need to find the flags more easily. I agree with the bfg slowbomb idea, perhaps with maximum damage on impact - just to make sure teams can damage the other team from such a long distance. We also need to address the obvious camping problem which is inevitable with test_bigbox - too many places to hide with the flag. I think quad spawn would help here. I sense imminent ctf revival.
SD
Former Admin

Postby craij » Mon Dec 12, 2011 20:16 UTC

AG wrote:i know you guys have "elevated your game to a higher art form" or whatever, but maybe you'd get more new players if every single match didn't consist of 50 seconds of the exact same camping, spamming, slingshotting back and forth and ascii penis chat messages every ten seconds...

CTF is not my thing so I rarely read these posts but I'm glad I did! This is some of the most entertaining stuff I've read on this forum! Nice AG!
More exclamation points!!!!!!!
craij

Server: FFA

Postby AG » Mon Dec 12, 2011 20:53 UTC

SD wrote:I think flags in the opposing diagonal corners is a bad idea, they should be in the other opposing diagonal corners instead, this is much fairer than the first opposing diagonal corners. I think this is the best option on such a complex map, players need to find the flags more easily. I agree with the bfg slowbomb idea, perhaps with maximum damage on impact - just to make sure teams can damage the other team from such a long distance. We also need to address the obvious camping problem which is inevitable with test_bigbox - too many places to hide with the flag. I think quad spawn would help here. I sense imminent ctf revival.

also, player models are really a visible hinderance when finding the flag. we should make all players invisible.

i can't wait i think this is really going to be a lot of fun
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby SD » Mon Dec 12, 2011 22:08 UTC

What about giving the players bright skins and making the flags invisible?
SD
Former Admin

Postby AG » Mon Dec 12, 2011 22:24 UTC

and we can add 3 bots for every player, then add in the original ctf hook and make all players spectate the bots using the hook

THIS IS TOTALLY GOING TO INCREASE THE FUN WAY MUCH MORE
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby dyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:04 UTC

AG wrote:to reiterate my question.

what is it about these ctf regulars that they are COMPLETELY UNABLE TO PLAY if there are any slight changes. "it was an error", "it is temporary" and/or "just try it for a while" are completely lost on them. i understand liking and being good at certain settings, but get over it.

nobody is playing there because everybody is here posting how you aren't going to play unless we meet your demands.

i know you guys have "elevated your game to a higher art form" or whatever, but maybe you'd get more new players if every single match didn't consist of 50 seconds of the exact same camping, spamming, slingshotting back and forth and ascii penis chat messages every ten seconds...

That's the biggest problem with ultra-fast offhand hook. All you need to do is point somewhere and press +button5 and that's it. You warp through any map @ [ vg_hookPullSpeed ] speed, which is something around 3000. For comparison, rockets fly at around 2000, or 900 with original Q3. Now use these settings at space maps and you will see skilled players can actually finish 2 or 3 of those in 50 seconds, not just one map. This is the reason some of the new players say fuck this, and quit.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby dyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:06 UTC

SD wrote:

We had TDM @ test_bigbox few years ago. :)

It was after i enabled Q3 to support all maps in TDM mode, ie. q3tourney3 etc.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby dyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 UTC

OK, hook is back but slower (2000 fire, 1200 pull speed), movement speed is faster, less railgun ammo, a bit less BFG ammo, no BFG rail, BFG mode 2, increased camp detect. This should make it better, players with hook are easier to hit and there will be less camping. Of course this is good if you want more balanced game, sometimes people agree with this in theory, but want completely different stuff in reality, like fly+quad+exxxtra_rail_splash, which we need to try again. :)
dyn
Site Admin

Postby emperor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 16:50 UTC

Hook is enabled = 10 - 20 players on CTF.

Hook is disabled = 0 - 4 players on CTF.

CTF with enabled hook is better.
emperor

Postby chuva » Tue Dec 13, 2011 17:16 UTC

original config will not come back?
chuva
TM

Postby AG » Tue Dec 13, 2011 17:20 UTC

omg.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby chuva » Tue Dec 13, 2011 17:33 UTC

AG wrote:omg.

What U have? I ask only... lol
chuva
TM

Postby AG » Tue Dec 13, 2011 19:27 UTC

CTF players posting in this thread = 6 players not on CTF.

since this has rendered vast numbers of shadow players absolutely incapable of playing, maybe shutting down the ctf server would be the most humane thing to do to put them out of their misery
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby chaos252 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 22:42 UTC

great settings! i like it a lot, not spammy at all with the rail ammo limited. the only thing that was pissin me off earlier was my bot had rockets and the ks dudes bot had instant kill bfg lol. but thats just luck of the draw.

best ctf settings yet i think. it would be cool to rotate between this and the stock config. so everyone is happy.
chaos252
Former Admin

Favorite map: QZTOURNEY6

Postby R0tnAx » Wed Dec 14, 2011 00:03 UTC

Lets go in CTF NOAW! annd make fun!

Edit:After 30mins well im out..
R0tnAx

Favorite map: Q3CTF1

Postby dyn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 UTC

OK! Original config is back, that means complete config as it was with one improvement, vg_hookPullSpeed increased from 3666 to 8000, while hookFireSpeed is at 10000 as it was before. With more than double pull speed it will be possible to finish maps even sooner, since nobody will be able to hit you. Only problem may be if too many players join at the same time, i am not sure server can handle more than 32-35 clients and max is set to 64.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby GenZ! » Wed Dec 14, 2011 15:13 UTC

Haha, amazing hook, that will be funny!
GenZ!

Favorite map: q3dm1

Postby SD » Wed Dec 14, 2011 17:29 UTC

dyn wrote:OK! Original config is back, that means complete config as it was with one improvement, vg_hookPullSpeed increased from 3666 to 8000, while hookFireSpeed is at 10000 as it was before. With more than double pull speed it will be possible to finish maps even sooner, since nobody will be able to hit you. Only problem may be if too many players join at the same time, i am not sure server can handle more than 32-35 clients and max is set to 64.

Lol! I still think we should disable all weapons - to make ABSOLUTELY SURE no one EVER gets hit. It would also be a good idea to run only maps with NO obstacles, that way, only one rapid hook movement is necessary to get completely from one flag point to the other, ensuring that maps are over EVEN sooner still.
SD
Former Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Quake 3