Q3.VOGON.VG

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby craij » Thu Oct 04, 2012 16:22 UTC

down again for the last couple of days... comin' back up?
craij

Server: FFA

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby dyn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 17:34 UTC

Probably not, server is canceled 100%. Too much expenses and not enough donations.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby craij » Thu Oct 04, 2012 18:42 UTC

yet phobos and ctf are up and running... hmmm.
is that because more people who play on those servers are donating?
i have been waiting to donate again until there is some sort of stability for q3.vogon.vg... if this server in particular is short on funds, show us how much. if its a reasonable amount, give me admin and i'll cover it.
craij

Postby chuva » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:22 UTC

yet you did not donate? ahhhh... :no: :no:

you said, you donate...

only promises. :lol:
chuva
TM

Server: CTF

Postby SD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:50 UTC

craij wrote:yet phobos and ctf are up and running... hmmm.
i have been waiting to donate again until there is some sort of stability for q3.vogon.vg... if this server in particular is short on funds, show us how much. if its a reasonable amount, give me admin and i'll cover it.

You have it backwards - the reason for this lack of "stability" is that the donations to keep the servers UP are unstable...
Tackle the cause, not the symptom....
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby dyn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:39 UTC

Well reason why those 2 are still up is because they both run on different VPS servers, independent from the US server which is offline now. VPS is generally cheaper than dedicated and most of the time this is covered by Q3 donations and also i cover any difference if needed. COD4 was fully dedicated Quad with 5000 GB BW and 8 GB RAM.
It's was like this:
- US server hosting COD4 + US Q3
- UK VPS server #1 hosting CTF Q3
- UK VPS server #2 hosting Phobos (experimental server, RCON is public, set to FFA by default)

So, with COD4 going down US Q3 also went down. Saying you will donate AFTER things become stable doesn't help much, because as SD pointed out, lack of donations causes instability, nothing else.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby AG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:57 UTC

SD wrote:
craij wrote:yet phobos and ctf are up and running... hmmm.

You have it backwards - the reason for this lack of "stability" is that the donations to keep the servers UP are unstable...
Tackle the cause, not the symptom....

true
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17

Postby dyn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 21:14 UTC

Btw, Phobos is less virtualized (OpenVZ) than CTF one (Xen), even firewall has less options and so on. This is why i set it up as an experimental server, it may have higher ping sometimes and less stability. You can use it for any testing or anything else, even rcon is public, shown at the welcome screen. For now this is not UK FFA, but it runs FFA mode nevertheless. OpenVZ in itself is not that bad, but everything is less isolated and other users can affect general performance. Xen, KVM and VMWare are much better for this purpose, also much different.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby craij » Fri Oct 05, 2012 17:37 UTC

chuva wrote:yet you did not donate? ahhhh... :no: :no:

you said, you donate...

only promises. :lol:

chuva I have been donating here for years and don't need some piss-ant chiming in so stfu ... don't be a cunt ... oh, too late.
craij

Postby craij » Fri Oct 05, 2012 17:41 UTC

dyn wrote:Well reason why those 2 are still up is because they both run on different VPS servers, independent from the US server which is offline now. VPS is generally cheaper than dedicated and most of the time this is covered by Q3 donations and also i cover any difference if needed. COD4 was fully dedicated Quad with 5000 GB BW and 8 GB RAM.
It's was like this:
- US server hosting COD4 + US Q3
- UK VPS server #1 hosting CTF Q3
- UK VPS server #2 hosting Phobos (experimental server, RCON is public, set to FFA by default)

This is the response I was looking for, thanks.

dyn wrote:So, with COD4 going down US Q3 also went down. Saying you will donate AFTER things become stable doesn't help much, because as SD pointed out, lack of donations causes instability, nothing else.

True but admittedly HQ-1 Anarchy has been shakey at best for the last year. I guess all good things must eventually come to an end. Shame as that was the best mod I have ever played on.
craij

Postby chaos252 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 01:03 UTC

the truth is after the attack on the cod4 servers brought down hq-1.. the server was not brought back until recently. the small playerbase is completely gone because of that. what was left play on the dk servers now. i had planned on making a donation but after seeing the server empty at all hours for a week or two, i knew it would be a waste of money.
chaos252
Former Admin

Favorite map: QZTOURNEY6

Postby dyn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 04:06 UTC

Yes, i see same logic here as pointed out earlier in this thread, mainly 'after this is populated/safe i will join or donate too'. Sure, not all are ready to risk or support something in advance, but i am glad not all think that way. Besides, Q3 rarely had 20+ games after 2008/2009 so this kinda demotivated me and many others. Not that we ever did anything to promote it, but anyway. With some effort i think 20+ is still possible, most likely in the EU.

There was no direct attack back then, only that DRDoS problem/noise, also on COD4, but it didn't prevent us from being online, and it was affecting all servers globally. Many admins decided to stop hosting because of it, we never did. Problem was failing HDD which was replaced later:
us_server-hdd_replace.png

I think Apoc said it's an attack, because COD4 had some attacks before, especially after we were #1 on GT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dyn
Site Admin

Return to Quake 3