Q3.VOGON.VG

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby craij » Thu Oct 04, 2012 16:22 UTC

down again for the last couple of days... comin' back up?
craij
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 17:41 UTC
Server: FFA

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby dyn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 17:34 UTC

Probably not, server is canceled 100%. Too much expenses and not enough donations.
User avatar
dyn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 07:50 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA
Website: https://vogonhq.com

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby craij » Thu Oct 04, 2012 18:42 UTC

yet phobos and ctf are up and running... hmmm.
is that because more people who play on those servers are donating?
i have been waiting to donate again until there is some sort of stability for q3.vogon.vg... if this server in particular is short on funds, show us how much. if its a reasonable amount, give me admin and i'll cover it.
craij
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 17:41 UTC
Server: FFA

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby chuva » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:22 UTC

yet you did not donate? ahhhh... :no: :no:

you said, you donate...

only promises. :lol:
User avatar
chuva
TM
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 15:45 UTC
Location: Czech Republik
Server: CTF

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby SD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 19:50 UTC

craij wrote:yet phobos and ctf are up and running... hmmm.
is that because more people who play on those servers are donating?
i have been waiting to donate again until there is some sort of stability for q3.vogon.vg... if this server in particular is short on funds, show us how much. if its a reasonable amount, give me admin and i'll cover it.


You have it backwards - the reason for this lack of "stability" is that the donations to keep the servers UP are unstable...
Tackle the cause, not the symptom....
User avatar
SD
Former Admin
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 18:54 UTC
Location: Wales, UK
Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby dyn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:39 UTC

Well reason why those 2 are still up is because they both run on different VPS servers, independent from the US server which is offline now. VPS is generally cheaper than dedicated and most of the time this is covered by Q3 donations and also i cover any difference if needed. COD4 was fully dedicated Quad with 5000 GB BW and 8 GB RAM.
It's was like this:
- US server hosting COD4 + US Q3
- UK VPS server #1 hosting CTF Q3
- UK VPS server #2 hosting Phobos (experimental server, RCON is public, set to FFA by default)

So, with COD4 going down US Q3 also went down. Saying you will donate AFTER things become stable doesn't help much, because as SD pointed out, lack of donations causes instability, nothing else.
User avatar
dyn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 07:50 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA
Website: https://vogonhq.com

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby AG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 20:57 UTC

SD wrote:
craij wrote:yet phobos and ctf are up and running... hmmm.
is that because more people who play on those servers are donating?
i have been waiting to donate again until there is some sort of stability for q3.vogon.vg... if this server in particular is short on funds, show us how much. if its a reasonable amount, give me admin and i'll cover it.


You have it backwards - the reason for this lack of "stability" is that the donations to keep the servers UP are unstable...
Tackle the cause, not the symptom....

true
User avatar
AG
Q3 Admin
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 18:25 UTC
Location: Texas
Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL
Website: http://vogonhq.com

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby dyn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 21:14 UTC

Btw, Phobos is less virtualized (OpenVZ) than CTF one (Xen), even firewall has less options and so on. This is why i set it up as an experimental server, it may have higher ping sometimes and less stability. You can use it for any testing or anything else, even rcon is public, shown at the welcome screen. For now this is not UK FFA, but it runs FFA mode nevertheless. OpenVZ in itself is not that bad, but everything is less isolated and other users can affect general performance. Xen, KVM and VMWare are much better for this purpose, also much different.
User avatar
dyn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 07:50 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA
Website: https://vogonhq.com

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby craij » Fri Oct 05, 2012 17:37 UTC

chuva wrote:yet you did not donate? ahhhh... :no: :no:

you said, you donate...

only promises. :lol:


chuva I have been donating here for years and don't need some piss-ant chiming in so stfu ... don't be a cunt ... oh, too late.
craij
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 17:41 UTC
Server: FFA

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby craij » Fri Oct 05, 2012 17:41 UTC

dyn wrote:Well reason why those 2 are still up is because they both run on different VPS servers, independent from the US server which is offline now. VPS is generally cheaper than dedicated and most of the time this is covered by Q3 donations and also i cover any difference if needed. COD4 was fully dedicated Quad with 5000 GB BW and 8 GB RAM.
It's was like this:
- US server hosting COD4 + US Q3
- UK VPS server #1 hosting CTF Q3
- UK VPS server #2 hosting Phobos (experimental server, RCON is public, set to FFA by default)

This is the response I was looking for, thanks.

dyn wrote:So, with COD4 going down US Q3 also went down. Saying you will donate AFTER things become stable doesn't help much, because as SD pointed out, lack of donations causes instability, nothing else.

True but admittedly HQ-1 Anarchy has been shakey at best for the last year. I guess all good things must eventually come to an end. Shame as that was the best mod I have ever played on.
craij
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 17:41 UTC
Server: FFA

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby chaos252 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 01:03 UTC

the truth is after the attack on the cod4 servers brought down hq-1.. the server was not brought back until recently. the small playerbase is completely gone because of that. what was left play on the dk servers now. i had planned on making a donation but after seeing the server empty at all hours for a week or two, i knew it would be a waste of money.
User avatar
chaos252
Former Admin
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 09:41 UTC
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite map: QZTOURNEY6
Server: INSTAKILL

Re: Q3.VOGON.VG

Postby dyn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 04:06 UTC

Yes, i see same logic here as pointed out earlier in this thread, mainly 'after this is populated/safe i will join or donate too'. Sure, not all are ready to risk or support something in advance, but i am glad not all think that way. Besides, Q3 rarely had 20+ games after 2008/2009 so this kinda demotivated me and many others. Not that we ever did anything to promote it, but anyway. With some effort i think 20+ is still possible, most likely in the EU.

There was no direct attack back then, only that DRDoS problem/noise, also on COD4, but it didn't prevent us from being online, and it was affecting all servers globally. Many admins decided to stop hosting because of it, we never did. Problem was failing HDD which was replaced later:
us_server-hdd_replace.png


I think Apoc said it's an attack, because COD4 had some attacks before, especially after we were #1 on GT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
dyn
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 07:50 UTC
Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA
Website: https://vogonhq.com


Return to Quake 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests