What model/skin do you use?

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

What model/skin do you use?

Postby Tripredacus » Thu Jun 19, 2008 02:04 UTC

I see a lot of "Sarges" out there when playing, but saw somewhat less once I downloaded the VG pack. So are you guys actually Sarge or what model do you use?

For myself I use the Epic 40k SpaceMarine LoTD model/skin:

I also have the machinegun modded (client-side) for the Epic 40k Boltgun, which you can see in that pic. I replaced the original machine gun model so this gun appears in all servers and all mods unless a mod replaces the original machinegun.

If I ever join any Pure (pure) servers, I appear as Ranger CTF red, but I tend to not play on any servers where I can't use my special machinegun. Then again... I don't play anywhere besides Vogon anyways... :\
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM2
Server: FFA

Re: What model/skin do you use?

Postby AG » Thu Jun 19, 2008 05:33 UTC

Doom/red.

I don't play many games, and Doom I was one of the first I played "online" with a friend over a modem.

Special place.
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby warnite » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:08 UTC

I use keel and force model. So for those of you who use the fancy models, I cant see them anyway. :wow:
warnite
Former Admin

Postby IriDeck » Thu Jun 19, 2008 14:31 UTC

I use Doom/Blue for body, Klesk/Blue for head. One thing I've noticed is that on Anarchy & IK, setting forcemodel to 1 shows your own model. On CHAOS (CTF), though, everyone becomes Sarge. :/
IriDeck
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM17
Server: TDM

Postby mordockdotcom » Thu Jun 19, 2008 14:55 UTC

On FFA, I've always been a fan of bones... since he seems to blend in with the most backgrounds. On CTF, though, where everyone is colored anyway, I used Anarchy for a long time, but have since switched to Bones.

I don't force models, I like to be able to immediately see and identify the skill level of anyone who is in my vicinity... without having to aim right at them. This is easier to do without forced models.
mordockdotcom

Server: CTF

Postby IriDeck » Thu Jun 19, 2008 15:11 UTC

Haha! That makes sense.
"It's Aym, just point-n-shoot."
"See ya, Botis."
"Oh, here comes RS. Time to bounce around a bit."
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby Pwn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 15:38 UTC

IriDeck wrote:Haha! That makes sense.
"It's Aym, just point-n-shoot."
"

Hey iri you might wanna make sure thats not crossy. He tends to be Aym alot. And He seems to be the type that all you have to do is point and shoot! xD j/k cross. But borat on the other hand hugs walls too much so i go insane on him with quad.
Pwn

Postby SERGIO » Thu Jun 19, 2008 16:41 UTC

I use Doom/Ice, headmodel Visor/Blue and force model too
SERGIO

Favorite map: q3tourney3

Postby Borat Obomba » Thu Jun 19, 2008 16:44 UTC

ES*pwnurfam wrote: But borat on the other hand hugs walls too much so i go insane on him with quad.

Hug walls do I?! Insane are you!!? Quad..erm...is it? Hugging walls makes me happy, reminds me of my first girlfriend.

btw, rail w/ quad is just about the best thing since sliced smurf on bread. OH SNAP! i went there...
Borat Obomba

Postby Pwn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 16:57 UTC

Borat Obomba wrote:
ES*pwnurfam wrote: But borat on the other hand hugs walls too much so i go insane on him with quad.

Hug walls do I?! Insane are you!!? Quad..erm...is it? Hugging walls makes me happy, reminds me of my first girlfriend.

btw, rail w/ quad is just about the best thing since sliced smurf on bread. OH SNAP! i went there...

bahahahahaah i think you mis-interpreting here borat. I already implyed that with you. Saying that the wall is the bread you are on and the quad is what i eat you up with! OHH and thanks for borrowing my quad today. Hehe its ok i got back right away anyways.
Pwn

Postby Tripredacus » Fri Jun 20, 2008 01:09 UTC

For some reason, you guys as Bones give me the most trouble. So what I tend to do is just go after the Bones guys... :lol:
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby CROWLEY » Fri Jun 20, 2008 03:27 UTC

Alien xD
CROWLEY

Postby IriDeck » Fri Jun 20, 2008 05:33 UTC

Borat Obomba wrote:Hug walls do I?! Insane are you!!? Quad..erm...is it? Hugging walls makes me happy, reminds me of my first girlfriend.

Borat, I am SO telling her you said that. Bertha will be highly displeased.

Sliced Smurf on bread? You're a crunchy-peanut-butter kind of guy, aren't ya?
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby AG » Fri Jun 20, 2008 06:00 UTC

Tripredacus wrote:For some reason, you guys as Bones give me the most trouble. So what I tend to do is just go after the Bones guys... :lol:

i hate the skeletons i can't see them
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby Stacie » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:34 UTC

I used to have really cool weapon skins but that was such a long time ago...

Now I just use whatever comes with Vogon's map packs that doesn't sound like a dork when it jumps for girls.
Stacie

Postby Gumby » Fri Jun 20, 2008 16:26 UTC

I use red Tank Jr. and force players models on. Its a strategy thing. That model is large and bright. And he makes the most noise.

So forcing everyone to look like a huge red target makes every player just that: a huge red target. Very easy to see espcially in space maps so you can rail in the sky.

Also the sound factor. Many times if you spec me you'll see when the server is not full that I may appear to be tracking players thru walls. Walking towards an entrance and then suddenly stopping to crouch and hide, waiting to suprise my target that eventually comes thru the entrance. The fact is, with decent sound card and a decent set of over-the-ear cupped headphones that model makes so much noise that you can hear it walking, jumping and changing guns very easily, very far away. Sound is a good 25% of my game play.

Also forcing all models to look alike eliminates my think time to attack/retreat. If I dont know who I am fighting (cause everyone looks alike) I treat everyone the same. That eliminates getting hesitation when confronted with a player of greater skill than me, since I dont know who anyone is during play. Its also eliminates me going easy on lower level players cause again, I don't know who they are. Every player gets my 100% when they see me =)

This method has helped my game alot over the years =)
Gumby
Former Admin

Favorite map: q3dm5

Postby mordockdotcom » Fri Jun 20, 2008 16:55 UTC

While I can completely see the wisdom in forcing Tank Jr. when playing FFA, I find that the ability to blend in and sneak around corners to be crucial on CTF. With a huge model, a defender will frequently see you coming through a doorway before you even know that they're in the room.

What I haven't tried, but might do now, is bind the force model command for quick changes. For example, on a space map with tons of railing going on, I can see the advantages of having a bunch of giant target s to blast.
mordockdotcom

Postby Gumby » Fri Jun 20, 2008 17:34 UTC

I agree, forced models are great for ffa/tdm/1vs1 but I too wouldn't use them on ctf (like I ever play ctf) =)
Gumby
Former Admin

Postby AG » Fri Jun 20, 2008 20:05 UTC

Gumby wrote:I use red Tank Jr. and force players models on.

I don't know why, but tank jr is the second hardest person for me to hit... maybe I assume it's so big I have more to hit, but doesn't seem to work that way.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby Tripredacus » Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:15 UTC

ES*Crowley wrote:Alien xD

Thats awesome. Alienbutt used to use that model until I complained I couldn't shoot him. Then he switched to Mynx CTF Blue and I complained he wasn't using Alien... (:
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby IriDeck » Sat Jun 21, 2008 07:44 UTC

Stacie wrote:I used to have really cool weapon skins but that was such a long time ago...

Now I just use whatever comes with Vogon's map packs that doesn't sound like a dork when it jumps for girls.

What's wrong, Stacie? Don't like the sexy, breathy grunt-moan the lady-skins utter when they leap through the air? :lol:

Actually, I need to check that. I just realized I've never used a female skin, and since I don't usually play with the sound on, I have no idea what they sound like. So, I may just be making an arse of myself here. :/
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby IriDeck » Sat Jun 21, 2008 07:45 UTC

mordockdotcom wrote:While I can completely see the wisdom in forcing Tank Jr. when playing FFA, I find that the ability to blend in and sneak around corners to be crucial on CTF. With a huge model, a defender will frequently see you coming through a doorway before you even know that they're in the room.

What I haven't tried, but might do now, is bind the force model command for quick changes. For example, on a space map with tons of railing going on, I can see the advantages of having a bunch of giant target s to blast.

I agree; I've often thought of using a smaller body model than Doom so I can be less noticeable. I just don't like the Bones model...

When forcing model, don't you have to do a vidrestart?
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby Kakarott » Sat Jun 21, 2008 17:43 UTC

I don't force models, I like to be able to immediately see and identify the skill level of anyone who is in my vicinity

me too
Kakarott

Postby Kakarott » Sat Jun 21, 2008 19:07 UTC

force models on ctf is for pussys

"hand" "4" finger and "eye" coordination is all i need

:angry3:
Kakarott

Postby Tripredacus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 23:46 UTC

Stacie wrote:I used to have really cool weapon skins but that was such a long time ago...

I used to use a skin I made that gave a new texture and reflection map to the rocket launcher. It was pretty cool. I think I have it on my old computer still.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby Gumby » Mon Jun 23, 2008 23:36 UTC

IriDeck wrote:When forcing model, don't you have to do a vidrestart?

Normally, no. After you force the models ON you can hold the TAB key down for a second or two and the "scores" screen will automatically re-load all models to yours. Or just wait till your next death (if you are not specing) and the game engine will do it for you.
Gumby
Former Admin

Postby STP » Tue Jun 24, 2008 01:53 UTC

HELLO.
I USE ARACHNATRON.NO USE FORCED MODEL.
STP

Postby Tripredacus » Tue Jun 24, 2008 04:33 UTC

STP wrote:HELLO.
I USE ARACHNATRON.NO USE FORCED MODEL.

You sure the hell don't! I have that model and haven't yet seen you as that ginormous spider-bot yet... only as Sarge. btw that model (like the Maxx and Gundam models) are extremely easy to shoot. Good thing most people don't have it!
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Postby Skwisgaar » Tue Jun 24, 2008 04:37 UTC

I am Bender :D

I cannot help it though... Futurama is awesome. I fired up some Bender bots once to see how easy it was to shoot the model... and I guess it is a bit easier than others... oh well. Bender is still sweet!
Skwisgaar

Postby Infinity » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:52 UTC

i used Blue Spawn....idk if you all can see him or not, but his cape is wicked awesome...if i dont use him i use the Punisher character.
Infinity

Next

Return to Quake 3