CONFIG -- how it works

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

CONFIG -- how it works

Postby dyn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 03:44 UTC

I see many have problems with keeping config settings permanent, so let me describe what Q3 does, how it reads your settings. It goes in this order:

1.) First it reads ../Quake III Arena/baseq3/default.cfg which is rarely used and sets default settings
2.) then it reads ../Quake III Arena/baseq3/q3config.cfg which set values or replaces values from default(.cfg)
3.) then it reads ../Quake III Arena/baseq3/autoexec.cfg which set values or replaces values from q3config.cfg
4.) finally it reads command line arguments, like quake3 +set r_gamma 1.2 ( will override any r_gamma set in config )
5.) when server uses special gamedir, like ../Quake III Arena/vogon-t1, it will write and read q3config.cfg from there, overriding all, including command line

If you want changes to propagate for all servers then you need to delete existing q3config.cfg files from all game dirs, and including ./baseq3 when you are using autoexec.cfg. If not, then use q3config.cfg in ./baseq3 as default config.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Re: CONFIG -- how it works

Postby CROSs » Fri Oct 31, 2008 04:09 UTC

Code: Select all
@echo off
set q3path=c:\program files\quake iii arena
echo Path is %q3path%.
echo.
echo.
if exist "%q3path%\baseq3\q3config.cfg" (
 del "%q3path%\baseq3\q3config.cfg" >NUL
 echo baseq3 config removed.
)

if exist "%q3path%\vogon-t1\q3config.cfg" (
 del "%q3path%\vogon-t1\q3config.cfg" >NUL
 echo t1 config removed.
)

if exist "%q3path%\vogon-t2\q3config.cfg" (
 del "%q3path%\vogon-t2\q3config.cfg" >NUL
 echo t2 config removed.
)

if exist "%q3path%\vogon-t3\q3config.cfg" (
 del "%q3path%\vogon-t3\q3config.cfg" >NUL
 echo t3 config removed.
)

if exist "%q3path%\vogon-tx\q3config.cfg" (
 del "%q3path%\vogon-tx\q3config.cfg" >NUL
 echo tx config removed.
)

echo.
echo.
:lp_edauto
set /p flag_edauto="Would you like to edit the Autoexec.cfg file now (y/n)?"
if %flag_edauto%==y (
 start notepad.exe "%q3path%\baseq3\autoexec.cfg"
 exit
) else (
 if %flag_edauto%==n (
  exit
 ) else (
  echo Invalid option.  Please enter 'y' or 'n' at the prompt, minus quotes.
  goto lp_edauto
 )
)

COPY ABOVE. Put in notepad save as a .cmd extension, ie configdeleter.cmd Everytime you change your autoexec file just use this to delete the q3config files that are now out of date due to the change made in autoexec.

Right click copy and paste a shortcut into the Start menu at the very top to have a shortcut available quickly or any where else you may desire.

Recommend going to download.com and installing notepad++. It's awesome. If you install it, just add the ++ after notepad near the end of the command script.

CREDIT GOES TO IriSmurf.
CROSs
Former Admin

Favorite map: uinmysites
Server: TDM

Postby Gumby » Fri Oct 31, 2008 20:31 UTC

Oh that is VERY cool Cross, thanks for this great info!!
Gumby
Former Admin

Favorite map: q3dm5

Postby AG » Fri Oct 31, 2008 20:51 UTC

bash version for mac / linux people

#!/bin/bash
Q3DIR="$HOME/Library/Application Support/Quake3"
find "$Q3DIR" -iregex ".*vogon.*/q3config.cfg" -exec rm {};
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby Stacie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:25 UTC

AbsolutGojira wrote:bash version for mac / linux people

#!/bin/bash
Q3DIR="$HOME/Library/Application Support/Quake3"
find "$Q3DIR" -iregex ".*vogon.*/q3config.cfg" -exec rm {};

So what does all of this do exactly?
Stacie

Postby AG » Mon Nov 10, 2008 18:44 UTC

Stacie wrote:So what does all of this do exactly?

overly simplistic example.

in my baseq3/autoexec.cfg i put "seta name donghuffer". i log on to instakill for the first time, and q3 writes vogon-t3/q3config.cfg with "seta name donghuffer". next time i log into instakill, q3 will read q3config.

i change baseq3/autoexec.cfg to "seta name catbutt". i log back into instakill, but q3 sees the old vogon-t3/q3config and still uses donghuffer as my name.

these scripts delete the vogon q3config's so you don't have to worry about using old settings -- you'll pull the new stuff from autoexec.cfg and rewrite the q3configs.

there are a few reasons that someone might want to do this, but if it seems kind of retardo, that's cause it is. q3's config functionality is flexible only to a certain point. anything more complex requires workarounds like this.
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17

Postby IJ » Fri May 14, 2010 20:02 UTC

dyn wrote:5.) when server uses special gamedir, like ../Quake III Arena/vogon-t1, it will write and read q3config.cfg from there, overriding all, including command line

Is the server not currently set up to read the config from vogon-t1? I can't seem to get my config to load in correctly even though it was working fine this morning and I didn't change anything.
IJ
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Fri May 14, 2010 20:09 UTC

It is, nothing changed regarding this. It's best to use one master config inside ./baseq3 and then delete others, so baseq3 config is used for everything.

Q3 1.32c shell utilizes same system, with batch file to delete all configs and restore master one. It brings some order into this config chaos. :)
dyn
Site Admin

Postby SD » Sat May 15, 2010 13:12 UTC

Don't know how useful this tip is to anyone, but what I did to avoid configs clashing etc is create an autoexec.cfg in baseq3, and delete the CONTENTS of all the other configs scattered around within (like T1 T2 TX etc etc) and save the blank, then mark as read only. I found it's easier, and it stops Q3 re-writing configs, so when you want to change something, all you need to do is alter it in the autoexec you created, and save it. Job done. And once it's done it's done, no need to worry about any other configs.

Edited - Meant to say autoexec.cfg up there not .bat
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3

Postby dyn » Sat May 15, 2010 14:36 UTC

Yes, natürlich! For windows i use this for long time, without any problems (it's also inside q3-132-shell.rar):

quake3/clearconfig.cmd
del /s /f q3config.cfg default.cfg
copy /y autoexec.cfg baseq3

del /s /f - go into subdirectories, force deleting of read-only files (just in case)
copy /y - copy and assume Yes on any query (overwrite)

Before i had q3config just like you, as read-only, but this system with autoexec.cfg as master i like more, since Q3 reads autoexec last. Then once inside /baseq3 it remains unmodified, while q3config.cfg is used by the game to store settings. Del command is safe because it only searches for 2 files, q3config.cfg and default.cfg. It must be run from one directory above ./baseq3, main quake 3 dir, where also autoexec.cfg resides. Copy part is not necessary if autoexec.cfg remains always the same.

All this confusion about configs is because Q3 is saving mod configs to mod dirs, which are not baseq3 and it reads them last, when people connect to the server using same dir/mod. Then if you need to quickly edit something is becomes confusing, if you edit q3config in mod dir, it will only be effective if you join servers using it. It is relatively good system, you can have diff setups for diff mods, but i think best system would be to disable all other configs by default and use only base one, because most people use one config for everything anyway, and you can always load extra conifigs if you really must, with exec command or via command line. Also, for complex mods you can always put few extra binds around, without the need for multiple configs. In effect, Q3 config system created more frustration than convenience.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby craij » Tue May 18, 2010 16:59 UTC

inspectorjimb wrote:Is the server not currently set up to read the config from vogon-t1? I can't seem to get my config to load in correctly even though it was working fine this morning and I didn't change anything.

Working fine for me Jim.
craij

Postby Shurik rus » Fri May 28, 2010 18:16 UTC

HI ADMINS!!! You exstraxt HQ configyration in VOGON UK? RIGHT? Im and more evropian players take bad connect!!! ALL cannot good shot! Please remove OLD CONFIGYRATE!!!! WE NEED THIS!!!
Shurik rus

Postby dyn » Fri May 28, 2010 18:39 UTC

Yes, old config is removed, there may be some small changes because of new mod.

Bad connect, how? Server is running at higher fps and rate is 25000 if you are using default one. If you need lower rate then try /rate 12000 or similar. Are you on dial-up?
dyn
Site Admin

Postby Shurik rus » Fri May 28, 2010 18:43 UTC

DAMIT mu english veru baaaad!! neeed remove new config!!!!!All players need OLD config! please!
Shurik rus

Postby dyn » Fri May 28, 2010 18:48 UTC

But what exactly is so different from old one? Weapon/ammo and other settings, or connectivity issues?
dyn
Site Admin

Postby Shurik rus » Fri May 28, 2010 18:58 UTC

Yes problems with connection. Who played all today have experienced complexities with a points taking, all played is much worse than usually, and all complained! Delays have transformed game into chaos!
Shurik rus

Postby Shurik rus » Fri May 28, 2010 19:02 UTC

Earlier I got often from the first from railgun, and now only with 5 or 6 that is very bad!!!
Shurik rus

Postby GenZ! » Fri May 28, 2010 19:58 UTC

Yes, please return back old config
GenZ!

Favorite map: q3dm1
Server: CTF

Postby dyn » Fri May 28, 2010 20:21 UTC

UK has old config now, let me know if settings are restored correctly.

About ping/lag, if you experience any connectivity issues also check HQ-1 server ( /connect q3.vogon.vg ) and see if you have same kind of issues on both servers, or just UK one. This is very important, so we can locate the problem and resolve it.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby pow3r RUS » Sat May 29, 2010 07:50 UTC

THANKS, SO IT IS MUCH BETTER!
pow3r RUS

Postby dyn » Sat May 29, 2010 09:55 UTC

Glad to hear that. :)
dyn