PunkBuster info and fixes

Anything about Call of Duty 4 - live status of all COD4 servers

PunkBuster info and fixes

Postby dyn » Tue May 04, 2010 21:05 UTC

In case of any system errors or trouble updating, try manual setup, it's most reliable and fastest method to update everything at once:
http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

In case of GUID bans -- do not use banned keys. Enter new unique key under Multiplayer options and it should be OK.

PunkBuster™ Support for Call of Duty 4
http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=support-cod4.php
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Re: PunkBuster info and fixes

Postby dyn » Thu May 06, 2010 15:06 UTC

Gumby, you know what would be great with PunkBuster, mainly 2 things:
1. ability to silently force certain CVARS on client, not all, just stuff like sending PB messages back, rate/maxpackets and so on
2. ability to turn off client messages, i am aware of pb_sv_msgprefix and pb_msgprefix with "[skipnotify]", but that is limited to either client or server, it doesn't omit messages sent by clients to server, which can be sometimes annoying to read when you have a lot of players on

... and of course my old suggestion to be able to extend grace periods over 300/4800 seconds for GUID/updates. In most cases people want to fix stuff, but they can't read PB manual, learn console, enable it in developer mode and become cvar hacker in 300 seconds.

In my experience with servers main problem is not non-conforming clients, but all this cryptic stuff which is alien to a lot of new players. They WANT to change things and they don't have a clue how. And frankly, why should they bother, anyway? Server admin is there to set stuff right and people are there to play and have fun. HL2 engine can do something like this, ie. for TF2 and other games. PB really needs to improve this. Maybe that's the reason new games are opting for custom solutions instead of PB, nice example is COD4 MW2 using VAC, while COD4 uses PB.

PB vs VAC:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188985
dyn
Site Admin

Postby dyn » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:34 UTC

For better performance and to avoid client lag, change pb_Sleep value. Go to the console by pressing SHIFT + ~ (tilde) key (below ESC) and enter the following:
Code: Select all
/pb_sleep 500
/pb_writecfg

Verify it by typing 'pb_sleep' again, it should be 500:
PunkBuster Client: pb_Sleep = 500 (20 to 500)

Also make sure network settings are optimized:
/cl_maxpackets 60-100
/rate 25000
/cl_packetdup 1

In case of any other weird errors or lag, i recommend you delete /pb directory and re-install it ( download ). Another thing which may interfere may be anti-virus and software firewalls. Try playing for a few minutes without them running and see how to add COD4 to the whitelist, if possible. If you are using Windows Firewall on top of software firewall, turn it off, only one should run, if you really must use that. Best is to use firewall from your router and nothing else. For anti-virus, it really depends on company producing it, i use only on-demand scanning from a-squared, i never use resident AV or software firewalls, because they can slow down your system. I also turn off Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, but if you want Firewall can be enabled, it won't increase your ping.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby Nibbles » Mon Sep 27, 2010 18:40 UTC

I was told by an admin on my server, that you have the ability to Ban Via IP address on COD4.

I currently run a Server and the most i can manage is GUID based bans. If you could enlighten me i would be eternally greatful
Nibbles

Postby dyn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:22 UTC

Ban/kick/info commands for COD4:
/serverinfo - This command shows the server settings and configurations.
/status - This shows information about the connected players. This includes the client ID, score, ping, GUID, name and IP address. The ID and name can be used for the following commands.
/tell [player id] - This will display a message to a specific player. The ID is given with the /status command.
/clientkick [player id] - This will kick a player according to its ID (given with the /status command).
/kick [player name] - This will do the same as the /clientkick command, but this command requires the player's name. However, some names are very difficult to enter (with colour codes etc.), thats why the /clientkick commands is easier in use. You can use 'all' as player name, this will kick all players from the server.
/onlykick [player name] - Does the same as /kick as far as I know.
/banClient [player id] - This command will ban a player according to its ID. The player's GUID will be added to ban.txt.
/banUser [player name] - This command does the same as the /banclient command. However, this requires you to fill in the player's name, it is therefore advised to use the /banclient command (names can be long or contain colour codes).
/tempBanClient [player id] - This will temporary ban a player using the player's ID. The length of a temporary ban can be changed in the server configuration file.
/tempBanUser [player name] - This will temporary ban a player using the player's name.
/unbanUser [player name] - This will unban a user according to the player's name. If the player's name appears more than once in ban.txt, you can edit the file and remove the banned player manually.
/dumpuser [player name] - This will give information about the player.

If you want to ban externally by IP then use something like this for Linux:
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s 1.2.3.4/24 -j DROP    # tcp+udp, /24 256 ips
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p udp -s 1.2.3.4/22 --dport 28900:28999 -j DROP    # UDP only, specific ports only, /22 means 4*256 ips

PB was updated few times since August, it can detect more hacks than before, i recommend you try it. Also, in COD4 some players will only join if you have PB enabled, so it may bring you better quality traffic.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby rafa|xD » Tue Oct 05, 2010 22:33 UTC

Dyn the PB afect me for much lag
rafa|xD

Postby PB lokomarce » Wed Oct 06, 2010 00:22 UTC

Dyn th ares anarchy is gettting mi out and say gamehack and i dont had hack could you please fix this?
the server ban

[CAOS]chanfle
JUSTIN BIEBER
[PB]lokomarce
PB lokomarce

Postby rafa|xD » Wed Oct 06, 2010 00:40 UTC

yes dyn your server cause me problems i don't had hack but is your decision dyn...
but please desaled the PB much laggg
rafa|xD

Postby rafa|xD » Fri Nov 19, 2010 21:43 UTC

dyn wrote:Ban/kick/info commands for COD4:
/serverinfo - This command shows the server settings and configurations.
/status - This shows information about the connected players. This includes the client ID, score, ping, GUID, name and IP address. The ID and name can be used for the following commands.
/tell [player id] - This will display a message to a specific player. The ID is given with the /status command.
/clientkick [player id] - This will kick a player according to its ID (given with the /status command).
/kick [player name] - This will do the same as the /clientkick command, but this command requires the player's name. However, some names are very difficult to enter (with colour codes etc.), thats why the /clientkick commands is easier in use. You can use 'all' as player name, this will kick all players from the server.
/onlykick [player name] - Does the same as /kick as far as I know.
/banClient [player id] - This command will ban a player according to its ID. The player's GUID will be added to ban.txt.
/banUser [player name] - This command does the same as the /banclient command. However, this requires you to fill in the player's name, it is therefore advised to use the /banclient command (names can be long or contain colour codes).
/tempBanClient [player id] - This will temporary ban a player using the player's ID. The length of a temporary ban can be changed in the server configuration file.
/tempBanUser [player name] - This will temporary ban a player using the player's name.
/unbanUser [player name] - This will unban a user according to the player's name. If the player's name appears more than once in ban.txt, you can edit the file and remove the banned player manually.
/dumpuser [player name] - This will give information about the player.

If you want to ban externally by IP then use something like this for Linux:
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s 1.2.3.4/24 -j DROP    # tcp+udp, /24 256 ips
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p udp -s 1.2.3.4/22 --dport 28900:28999 -j DROP    # UDP only, specific ports only, /22 means 4*256 ips

PB was updated few times since August, it can detect more hacks than before, i recommend you try it. Also, in COD4 some players will only join if you have PB enabled, so it may bring you better quality traffic.
dyn the codes dont work
rafa|xD

Postby dyn » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:08 UTC

What codes? Info you quoted is for server admins.
dyn
Site Admin

Return to COD4