rules to set up for COD servers?

Anything about Call of Duty 4 - live status of all COD4 servers

rules to set up for COD servers?

Postby redge » Sat Oct 06, 2012 22:08 UTC

I don't know what admin could think about that, but sometimes when i play in ARES dom, some guys play under very shocking name like 'waffenss' 'nazi' or 'ss'....it's really annoying. Of course everyone's free to have political ideas or 'roots' or whatever....but, think that could be interesting to avoid this kind of 'username', because sometimes too, as we're playing, names, comments full of hate invade the server between the players, and this is annoying. Some servers use to set warning rules 'refrain racists words' and this kind of stuff...else, ban. We should check about that (and about aimbotters and cheaters as well :megagrin: ) When i play, i personally don't care about player's political ideas or origin : i just do it for fun. And most of us do it for the same reason
redge
TM (inactive)

Favorite map: creek
Server: COD4

Re: rules to set up for COD servers?

Postby dyn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 00:29 UTC

Short answer, we ban pretty much only for hacking or spamming hack websites. What names players use or what they talk about is their problem, we don't ban for that.

More detailed answer:
No, don't go there. This then becomes a slippery slope, one day we ban for nicknames, then we ban those who are disliked by others, and before few days pass we already are banning people we personally don't like and so on. Only effect this has is removal of admin privilege. If they want to play as "Waffen SS" or "I killed 6 trillion Jews" then this is part of their human rights, the right to free speech. This is something Americans largely forgot, free speech is not about saying what is popular -- you can say that under any dictator -- free speech is about letting you speak whatever you want and tolerating what is unpopular. Besides, with failing economy NS ideas are becoming popular again. For example Golden Dawn in Greece and we don't want them to go to some other server. We want as much players as possible.

This is important topic, it's part of our server philosophy. Let me list main points here:
- server popularity also depends on how relaxed environment is, more rules = less players (if we want politically correct gulag we can do that as a joke server and you will see how silly it is, politically correct thinking is basically why Breivik ultimately killed people -- see pg. 11 of his manifesto)
- i see how people from the US largely forgot what free speech is all about, they don't even oppose indefinite detention which destroys the concept of Habeas Corpus, basically pushing our civilization back 800 years, so at least on our servers we will respect free speech while US transforms into the 4th Reich or USSA, pick one
- you can't have Chaos/Anarchy in the server name and then ban people for using "wrong" player names, it's against everything server is about, that is, Chaos / Anarchy

OK, usually i don't debate this, because it was debated a lot already and there are also other more progressive concepts which are hard to explain to most people, for example, if you want order then you need to have chaos also. Not to bring chaos to order, but to keep both alive at the same time. Occult concept of "Ordo ab Chao" talks about this, but mostly they think it's about bringing new order after the initial chaos -- which is wrong. See, this goes beyond servers, it's about the Universe itself. :-D
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Postby redge » Sun Oct 07, 2012 07:13 UTC

Short answer, cause i miss vocabulary to enter deepliest in this debate :megagrin: I can understand free speech concept of course, but sometimes, no!! especially when we definitely know how bad are certain political ideas....ok i also can understand how thin is the boarder between objectivity and subjectivity, human rights law must be preserved in any circumstances, i'm just talking about a specifically point which can add some racial hate. And i'm not sure our planet needs this....
"one day we ban for nicknames, then we ban those who are disliked by others, and before few days pass we already are banning people we personally don't like and so on. Only effect this has is removal of admin privilege." Of course not, if rules are strictly specified.....that's my 42 years old man point of view :oldman:
AS if i follow on your idea, we should tolerate cheater, hacker, aimbotter because they're probably retards people and this is to them their only means of expression!! :P
redge
TM (inactive)

Postby dyn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:43 UTC

We don't ban for names or talk, because we support free speech. Only cheaters get banned, or players selling/spamming hacks.

If someone wants to play as Waffen SS, that's nothing racial, it's just players who want to be badass, nothing wrong with that. It is this conditioning which makes you react in this way. There is a lot of racism between different groups of people, yet everyone will only think about "nazis" because of movies and other post-war brainwashing. I also observed certain Muslim names being banned from US server, take a wild guess why. :)

That stuff above was not totally serious, but in general we use common sense and no rules. People appreciate it and it is better that way, this is a game after all.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby redge » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:50 UTC

Ok then...
redge
TM (inactive)

Postby dyn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 13:53 UTC

My point is very simple, once you start banning for innocent stuff like player names then it creates oppressive atmosphere and people go away sooner or later. Best is to relax, after all each server had 20k players, you can't monitor all of them without going insane in the process. :)

Another thing, i didn't really notice anyone using those names for long time. It seems they wanted to vent a bit and then they changed it. Or other players said something.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby redge » Sun Oct 07, 2012 14:10 UTC

I did, not far from now, just before ares needed to sleep a little bit..but all right, the door is closed for me ;-)
redge
TM (inactive)

Postby dyn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 21:32 UTC

You need to look above that as an admin, because if not it may trick you. Let's say you see those players as bad people and those with correct behavior as good people. Sooner or later you will realize many of them are just the opposite, that is, someone who appeared as bad is helping others, while someone who was polite is secretly cheating, and so on. So either we allow them all or ban them all. :-D

dyn
Site Admin

Postby redge » Mon Oct 08, 2012 06:54 UTC

Anyway, the fact is cheaters remain in peace in this server :megagrin:
redge
TM (inactive)

Return to COD4