Your thoughts/ideas/preferences HERE

Misc topics

Your thoughts/ideas/preferences HERE

Postby SD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 20:27 UTC

OK this thread is for ANYONE to post ideas on likes/dislikes/ideas/thoughts/preferences on gameplay/strategies and YES - things YOU would like to see on the server(s)
Please be sensible and try to stay ON TOPIC in this thread.
It would also be helpful if you would state which server (FFA/CTF/UK etc) you are referring to with your suggestions.
This thread is not designed to guarantee your suggested changes etc will happen, but we are always interested to hear and welcome your views - this thread is for all, and will hopefully envelope all your ideas - no point having a zillion threads with a zillion different ideas :)
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Re: Your thoughts/ideas/preferences HERE

Postby Borat Obomba » Thu Jan 07, 2010 20:35 UTC

Bonelli please.
Borat Obomba

Postby SD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 20:38 UTC

Borat Obomba wrote:Bonelli please.

No. There will be NO Bonelli. None. Not even a lil bit :D
SD
Former Admin

Postby scumB » Thu Jan 07, 2010 20:47 UTC

Whats Bonelli?

Although 10 minutes ago I said VOGON is perfect right now (and I mean it), what would be a nice change of pace is a capped amount
of ammo every so often at FFA. Nothing too strict either. On the UK server FFA its already a little capped, which is much better I think than unlimited.
That way youll have to supplement your diet of rocketspam with shotgun ballshot, rail and grenades as well.

And changing gravity might be an idea, megajumps or no jumping at all, ah what fun we'll have!
scumB

Postby SD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 21:01 UTC

scumB wrote:Whats Bonelli?

Although 10 minutes ago I said VOGON is perfect right now (and I mean it), what would be a nice change of pace is a capped amount
of ammo every so often at FFA. Nothing too strict either. On the UK server FFA its already a little capped, which is much better I think than unlimited.
That way youll have to supplement your diet of rocketspam with shotgun ballshot, rail and grenades as well.

And changing gravity might be an idea, megajumps or no jumping at all, ah what fun we'll have!

This is a good post, and all very easily doable - this is what I'm talking about, realistic and sensible posts. Thankyou scumB
SD
Former Admin

Postby R0tnAx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 21:48 UTC

Ban camper and Vogon is the Kingdom of heaven...-.-

Alway someone to ruin it.
R0tnAx

Favorite map: Q3CTF1
Server: CTF

Postby SERGIO » Thu Jan 07, 2010 22:29 UTC

Although 10 minutes ago I said VOGON is perfect right now (and I mean it),

Yea.. I like the servers in the way they are, except for the telebam in Anarchy, I think it
should be removed (it`s useless). Apart from that I have nothing to complain about.
SERGIO

Favorite map: q3tourney3
Server: FFA

Postby =RS= » Thu Jan 07, 2010 22:30 UTC

Can we have wings so we can fly around killing players xD
=RS=
Former Admin

Favorite map: any1

Postby R0tnAx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 23:34 UTC

Oh sure lets fly then add noclip?? God mode for more fun?? Hell...

What you think camper will do with fly? Ehhhhh!!
R0tnAx

Postby AG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 23:43 UTC

AG
Former Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17

Postby =RS= » Fri Jan 08, 2010 00:24 UTC

It was a joke am very sorry hehe :lol:
=RS=
Former Admin

Favorite map: any1

Postby craij » Fri Jan 08, 2010 16:04 UTC

who was that admin we had two years ago that would change settings in-game? name is eluding me right now. but that was so much fun.

anyway, my two cents...

ELIMINATE THE FREEBIES: telebam and alt-fire for rail

while i think that alt-fire is a great and fun concept, its not very fun to get killed by someone in another room who doesn't even know you're there. where's the skill in that? walls are obstructions. they are there for a reason. or, when you are sparring with someone, its good to be able to use columns or walls to duck behind, then jump back out for a quick shot. but with alt-fire rail, that is no longer possible. not that video games have to be realistic, and, mind you, this server is not about realistic physics, but we could atleast try to maintain the skill level.

i am sure my rant is futile but i will add one last amendment: if we can't dump the alt-fire rail, can we atleast add hook while it is in use so people can "use the trees" to avoid the camp-n-railers?
craij

Postby DarthPaganeo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 20:24 UTC

craij wrote:who was that admin we had two years ago that would change settings in-game? name is eluding me right now. but that was so much fun.

i think maybe you are talking about [email protected] or Executor they both changed things while they were playing =)
DarthPaganeo

Favorite map: q3ctf4

Postby Shishisenkou » Fri Jan 08, 2010 20:51 UTC

I'm all for a Zero-Gravity Gauntlet War for some maps :D
Shishisenkou

Postby R0tnAx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 21:47 UTC

Shishisenkou wrote:I'm all for a Zero-Gravity Gauntlet War for some maps :D

SUPPORT!! That should be fucking fun!!
R0tnAx

Postby AG » Fri Jan 08, 2010 23:35 UTC

craij wrote:while i think that alt-fire is a great and fun concept, its not very fun to get killed by someone in another room who doesn't even know you're there. where's the skill in that? walls are obstructions. they are there for a reason. or, when you are sparring with someone, its good to be able to use columns or walls to duck behind, then jump back out for a quick shot. but with alt-fire rail, that is no longer possible. not that video games have to be realistic, and, mind you, this server is not about realistic physics, but we could atleast try to maintain the skill level.

blindly shooting at walls and getting lucky frags won't win a game. if someone wins a match with passthru rail and hit you through a wall, it's more likely they knew you were there.

however, you make a valid point that without passthru, walls and columns and stuff can be used more consistently for shielding. different type of game.

also, ammo limits as on ffa-uk would limit the amount of passthru camping before forcing a switch to other weapons.
AG
Former Admin

Postby DEAN SINSTROM » Sat Jan 09, 2010 16:05 UTC

craij wrote:who was that admin we had two years ago that would change settings in-game? name is eluding me right now. but that was so much fun.

That would be fun, especially if the settings went back to the vogon default settings at the start of the next round.
I don't know if that would have to be done manually, or if it could be scripted, but it would be neat if the settings (gravity, rate of fire etc) could be changed at the half-way point. If not halfway through a round, maybe at the start of a new level, for the entire level. It wouldn't even have to be done at level change... maybe just one out of 4 or something.

ps... couldn't we have kept using ag's 'suggestion' thread for these suggestions, instead of spreading more suggestions to another suggestion thread?
DEAN SINSTROM
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM1

Postby dyn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 15:34 UTC

It is possible. We only need to know which settings, then i add this to templates and server can load them automatically, on top of that any admin can load them too.

Increased speed and power can be fun, but you need to be careful with those, at some point it becomes too easy, for example if MG makes 10,000 damage per second. Or if Rail splash+Quad kills almost as much as Teleport.

Btw, i see you are using Telebam name. Originally it was called Teleport of the Taliban, especially when it's set to kill activator as well. :-D
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby dyn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 16:17 UTC

OK, just to try, both FFA servers have increased power, ammo and fire rate, similar to what we had before. Powerups are enabled and hook as well, but to make things harder it is not offhand one. I put previous config and this one to two separate files, so we can easily switch between them. In same way i can create more templates and then we can use all of them.

This config can be fun, but it also may be be just a bit too powerful, let me know what you think. If you want to compared old and new, then check CTF which has old one still running.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby scumB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 19:35 UTC

Whoa, already changes have been implemented. Thats quick.

Nice, thanks Dyn.

Ill give my feedback when Ive fragged a couple ones in a little while

Oh yeah, do these changes have to be administrated in real time? Or is there some admin-tool that generates different
combinations every so often, without any direct input after the first GO! command?
That would be quite nifty...
scumB

Postby Shishisenkou » Sun Jan 10, 2010 20:02 UTC

It'd be kind of interesting to have a purely underwater level. Rain. mentioned it to me on AIM and I thought it'd be kind of cool actually. Use one of the original levels we have and sink it underwater, but leave an inch or two at top so people can get air. It'd be a slow but interesting battle. But that's why it'd be a smaller map.
Shishisenkou

Postby Spookycat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 20:33 UTC

Yeah an underwater level I would like to see that too. fun. !! ps I would make more suggestions but I don't understand 95% of the things you people talk about on here hehe, so I will just stay quiet and keep having fun!
Spookycat

Postby DEAN SINSTROM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 00:05 UTC

Shishisenkou wrote:It'd be kind of interesting to have a purely underwater level.

Using my *mighty-super mapping skillz, I've made this:
Dm1 under water level. click thumbs for full size pics and video
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

*Just kidding. This took no mighty-mapping skills at all to do. Older versions of radiant (mapping software) used to come with sample/editable versions of 3 base maps... q3dm1, q3dm7 & q3dm17.
All I did was add water to the q3dm1 level, and recompile. :)

The lighting is crappy because I've just done a quick rendering. (no doubt rendering it to the original lighting quality will take quite a long time... )
DEAN SINSTROM
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM1

Postby Shishisenkou » Mon Jan 11, 2010 00:36 UTC

Oooo, that still looks pretty cool and I really like how that could actually work out. That's really nifty.

Edit: Actually, the map "Octagon" would be a great underwater level. It already looks like a giant pool!

Shishisenkou

Postby dyn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:12 UTC

scumB wrote:Whoa, already changes have been implemented. Thats quick.

Nice, thanks Dyn.

Ill give my feedback when Ive fragged a couple ones in a little while

Oh yeah, do these changes have to be administrated in real time? Or is there some admin-tool that generates different
combinations every so often, without any direct input after the first GO! command?
That would be quite nifty...

It's no problem changing things, i can do it in under 1 minute. Problem is finding right balance, especially if you have extreme settings as we do.

Different settings are stored as cvars, just like you have different settings in q3config, but for the server. Then admin only needs to load appropriate config, like 1 or 2 or 3, and server changes all of that in an instant. Only a few require server restart (read-only cvars), some required map reload (weapons, powerups, anything pre-cached), and most can be changed on-the-fly (speed, ammo, gravity, timers, items, bots, ...).
dyn
Site Admin

Postby dyn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:13 UTC

DEAN SINSTROM wrote:
Shishisenkou wrote:It'd be kind of interesting to have a purely underwater level.

Using my *mighty-super mapping skillz, I've made this:
Dm1 under water level. click thumbs for full size pics and video
[ Image ] [ Image ]
[ Image ] [ Image ]
[ Image ] [ Image ]
[ Image ]

*Just kidding. This took no mighty-mapping skills at all to do. Older versions of radiant (mapping software) used to come with sample/editable versions of 3 base maps... q3dm1, q3dm7 & q3dm17.
All I did was add water to the q3dm1 level, and recompile. :)

The lighting is crappy because I've just done a quick rendering. (no doubt rendering it to the original lighting quality will take quite a long time... )

Nice idea! We need to try it out and include in the next map pack. :)

I like Q3CTF2 just because of that water in the middle. It's always fun to play. I also like maps with fog, but only smaller ones.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby dyn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:18 UTC

Shishisenkou wrote:Oooo, that still looks pretty cool and I really like how that could actually work out. That's really nifty.

Edit: Actually, the map "Octagon" would be a great underwater level. It already looks like a giant pool!

[ Image ]

We have Octagon in FFA map pack 01 (minipak01). It's great map, maybe a bit too big, but then again it's all open space and can be very tense.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby craij » Mon Jan 11, 2010 20:23 UTC

AG wrote:if someone wins a match with passthru rail and hit you through a wall, it's more likely they knew you were there.

ag, i think you're only speaking of yourself here. normal humans can't play that well.

DarthPaganeo wrote:i think maybe you are talking about [email protected] or Executor they both changed things while they were playing =)

it was definitely [email protected], he had the best in-game alterations. insane fire rates, no gravity or too much gravity, multiple weapon fires, whacked out stuff. so much fun.

note to admin:
if you're gonna make tweaks to settings and stick with them for a while, make sure they don't suck (read: current settings). if you're gonna change it around, do it often.

i miss u [email protected]
craij

Postby AG » Mon Jan 11, 2010 20:33 UTC

craij wrote:
AG wrote:if someone wins a match with passthru rail and hit you through a wall, it's more likely they knew you were there.

ag, i think you're only speaking of yourself here. normal humans can't play that well.

if you use passthru and don't camp, you eventually learn prediction.

like i said, players that really do just camp and spam passthru aren't going to win matches anyway and are pretty easy to dispose of.
AG
Former Admin

Postby craij » Mon Jan 11, 2010 20:50 UTC

AG wrote:like i said, players that really do just camp and spam passthru aren't going to win matches anyway and are pretty easy to dispose of.

i respectfully disagree, passthru spam wins most games
craij

Next

Return to General Discussion