but will there be vogon..?

Misc topics

but will there be vogon..?

Postby chaos252 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 07:18 UTC

i know ill prolly get alot of shit for this thread lol, but whateverr. im kind of excited :)

quake arena arcade is coming out ina few weeks on xbox live. this video is an early build

chaos252
Former Admin

Favorite map: QZTOURNEY6
Server: INSTAKILL

Re: but will there be vogon..?

Postby Apocalypse » Sun Nov 28, 2010 14:05 UTC

yeah. no mods and quake 4 has better graphics. and it looks like shitty quake live.
Apocalypse
Former Admin

Favorite map: Winter_Crash
Server: COD4

Postby Shurik rus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 16:10 UTC

LOL who play in video?
Shurik rus

Postby SD » Sun Nov 28, 2010 16:28 UTC

Sorry what was the question? Do you mean will Vogon carry on once that abomination gets released? Er, yes I think it's safe to say it will! Anyway, we are PC gamers, I know some members probably do have x-stations and playboxes etc, but we a predominantly PC orientated.
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3

Postby chaos252 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 20:35 UTC

lol i knew you guys wouldnt like this, not trying to start any sort of debate just show and tell. i think its bringin q3a to a new audience.. if they get the controls right its gonna bring people in by the thousands.
chaos252
Former Admin

Postby SD » Sun Nov 28, 2010 21:43 UTC

Kinda like a retro revolution?! Lol it wont. Im not against it, q3a is fucking awesome, but i doubt it will be as big a thing as you seem to think when its released on the playbox x.
SD
Former Admin

Postby chaos252 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 05:30 UTC

never said it was gonna be huge but definetly in the thousands. quake 4 had unpatched broken multiplayer an there were a good 10K ppl playing it in its hayday. hell over a thousand ppl were on doom multiplayer when it came out. ppl on consoles do generally gravitate towards the slower moving fps's tho. its also gonna have local split-screen 4 player :)

not sure what the point of the 12 year old pc elitest comments are? gamers are gamers. i posted this because it relates to quake, not to start some stupid my toy is better than your toy argument.

@shurik. some guy who got a hold of an early version, he sucks whoever he is
chaos252
Former Admin

Postby SD » Mon Nov 29, 2010 07:24 UTC

Who are you calling a 12 year old pc elitist?
SD
Former Admin

Postby chaos252 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 07:49 UTC

your comments are immature.
chaos252
Former Admin

Postby SD » Mon Nov 29, 2010 17:26 UTC

chaos252 wrote:your comments are immature.

Oh really? Where exactly do you see immature comments? Do share?????
SD
Former Admin

Postby craij » Mon Nov 29, 2010 21:06 UTC

can we substitute the LG for the nailgun?
:yes:
craij

Server: FFA

Postby AG » Mon Nov 29, 2010 23:58 UTC

what's the difference between q3 arcade and q3 live? and regular old q3?
AG
Former Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17

Postby dyn » Tue Nov 30, 2010 05:55 UTC

Biggest difference is, Q3 was innovative and something unexpected when it came out, as being one of the first multiplayer-only games. Releasing same stuff after 10+ years on arcades just means they are desperate and without any new ideas.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby SD » Tue Nov 30, 2010 07:27 UTC

dyn wrote:Biggest difference is, Q3 was innovative and something unexpected when it came out, as being one of the first multiplayer-only games. Releasing same stuff after 10+ years on arcades just means they are desperate and without any new ideas.

Yes, i completely agree! Thats exactly why i said this is unlikely to be the smash hit chaos seems to think it will. And i fail to see why it should have any negative effect on vogon, regardless of its success or failure.
SD
Former Admin

Postby chaos252 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 08:16 UTC

the name of the thread is just implying if there will there be vogon in q3 arcade. which there wont obviously, i was joking. this is an arcade game guys, it will cost like 10$ to download. it wont be the second coming.

im excited because arena shooters in general are dying and its gonna be cool to see a new generation introduced to it. plus i wanna see how high i can climb the leaderboards too :)

xbox live simply has an enormous amount of people on it, for example perfect dark, a nintendo 64 game got like 300,000 units sold on there.. if quake gets some new fans thats good new for all of us.
chaos252
Former Admin

Postby craij » Tue Nov 30, 2010 16:41 UTC

SD wrote:
dyn wrote:Biggest difference is, Q3 was innovative and something unexpected when it came out, as being one of the first multiplayer-only games. Releasing same stuff after 10+ years on arcades just means they are desperate and without any new ideas.

Yes, i completely agree! Thats exactly why i said this is unlikely to be the smash hit chaos seems to think it will. And i fail to see why it should have any negative effect on vogon, regardless of its success or failure.

The original being the innovator and the others being imitators is not a declaration of difference. I'm going to go out on a limb and quess that AG was asking about gameplay features.

So, there are no differences?
craij

Postby AG » Tue Nov 30, 2010 16:59 UTC

i read a little about it (including some article comments). looks like they are targeting "legacy gamers" who either played it on a previous console or stopped playing the pc version years ago. pretty much the same game with a few extra maps, slowed down play for the controller, and a low cost.

the only thing i don't get is the stupid name -- i don't understand what "arcade" has to do with this, unless that is their way of officially branding this as legacy. probably just bad marketing with the new parent company.
AG
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Tue Nov 30, 2010 19:25 UTC

craij wrote:
SD wrote:

The original being the innovator and the others being imitators is not a declaration of difference. I'm going to go out on a limb and quess that AG was asking about gameplay features.

So, there are no differences?

That's exactly the problem, they have no new ideas, plus they are owned by other company which will slowly destroy any uniqueness left. There are no fundamental differences in gameplay, only cosmetics. You can see it in video and all logic confirms it.

I think you all are giving this side-project too much attention. It won't change anything regarding Q3, it won't bring any significant number of players to PC Q3, and it won't revitalize it either. When you play some other game where you need reserved slots because of always-full servers, then you realize how abandoned Q3 is. It is 12 year old game, nobody cares about it anymore, a lot of new gamers don't even know what Quake is. Only Id Software is to blame for this, instead of offering Steam alternative with all the money and power they had, they simply sold themselves to the highest bidder, while main programmer was busy playing with rockets.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby chaos252 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 20:38 UTC

the reason for the "arcade" name is because its being release on XBLA. xbox live arcade sells retro/indie games. lol.. its really not a big deal, im just excited to see it on there.

i do think it will introduce the fast frenzied quake gameplay to a new audience, and maybe make a few fans. even if its just a small chunk of the million and millions on XBL. more fans = more incentive to support the franchise.

as far as id goes.. i think q3a was their last great game. doom 3 was cool too but.. i mean it wasnt groundbreaking at all. they should really take a cue from epic.. they took UT99's success and ran with it. UT2003-2004, UC2 and UT3 were all good games that added something completely new to the mix with every one. then you got that cliff guy (who made quake 2 levels for id) and gears of war and all that.. epic is doing really well.

the cool thing about id is they were small and independent, lot of creativity.. but alot of laziness too. i loved quake 4 but it was generic and not even made by them. quake wars was nothing special.. and cell phone games?? maybe after being bought they'll feel the pressure and come up with some greatness
chaos252
Former Admin

Postby AG » Tue Nov 30, 2010 21:10 UTC

i only have an iphone 3gs but rage looks pretty good for a mobile phone game.
AG
Former Admin

Postby chaos252 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 08:24 UTC

UPDATE** very disappointed personally with QAA. seems to have a good following though.. always 30-40 ranked and player matches going on

lag is a serious problem. there is no dedi servers just people hosting rooms. even for people with fast connections though.. players blink, you have to lead an unbelievable amount and getting dropped is not uncommon.

im not really into achievements awards but they dont work properly, some dont work at all. the game freezes and hangs in various places sometimes. i was going for top 10 on the boards and the first week i was staying top 5.. until checking the leaderboard screen began locking up my xbox every time. i gave up on the game

the only cool thing is the new maps, maybe someone will remake them for pc
chaos252
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 09:01 UTC

It is possible. They did remake those old Dreamcast maps, google for dcmappack.zip.
http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/528
http://www.fileplanet.com/61677/download/Q3A-Dreamcast-Map-Pack
dyn
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion