problem with drives disapearing

Misc topics

problem with drives disapearing

Postby 1UnRaTeD1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 17:22 UTC

just had this problem 2 days ago...my other hdd internatly is using IDE and dvdrom as well.. both connected to same port since ide supports 2 channel per port now its acting up and i had to using detect devices and only ide hdd comes up but not dvdrom.

im thinking 2 things either the port is bad....or jumper pins. but they are set perfect ide hdd is slave and ide dvdrom is set to master
i think im gonna have to go sata 2nd hdd and leave dvdrom to ide by itself
1UnRaTeD1

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: FFA

Re: problem with drives disapearing

Postby Apocalypse » Mon Apr 25, 2011 22:31 UTC

set the jumpers for device 0 and 1 do not use no jumpers or cable select, if it is cdrom and hdd daisy chained make hdd 0 and cd rom 1. that should fix your problems
Apocalypse
Former Admin

Favorite map: Winter_Crash
Server: COD4

Postby dyn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 00:05 UTC

1UnRaTeD1 wrote:just had this problem 2 days ago...my other hdd internatly is using IDE and dvdrom as well.. both connected to same port since ide supports 2 channel per port now its acting up and i had to using detect devices and only ide hdd comes up but not dvdrom.

im thinking 2 things either the port is bad....or jumper pins. but they are set perfect ide hdd is slave and ide dvdrom is set to master
i think im gonna have to go sata 2nd hdd and leave dvdrom to ide by itself

Almost all devices produced in past 15 years should work with setup you described, if both on one IDE cable/channel then one should be master and another should be set to slave. Try different IDE port on MB, check cable for any damages and try new one, and use 80-wire cables only, even if devices are older. Make sure OS is not causing this, so try your hardware setup on some live Linux distro as well and see if devices are accessible form there.

You probably don't need this but anyway:
http://www.easeus.com/resource/install-ide-hard-drive.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_7267062_connect-devices-single-ide-cable.html

This disconnect problem most probably already produced another problem -- OS will set your device(s) to PIO mode instead of UDMA, because it counts each disconnect as a hardware failure. After 5 failures it will set device transfer mode to PIO which is very slow and uses CPU for everything. You need to reset it back to UDMA after you fix your problem. Google for "resetdma.vbs", also there are registry entries you can change. This is very important or your CD and HDD will be very slow. Also google for "pio to udma".
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby 1UnRaTeD1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 04:01 UTC

oh they work on bios they detect and everything soon as O/s boots and like 5 mins of up time i hear hdd making one quick sound then i check on my computer and both gone again :( but i will try what u said to. well both of ya :) btw the board only has 1 ide. i hope its the cable. i got tons of them laying around :)
1UnRaTeD1

Postby Apocalypse » Wed Apr 27, 2011 00:47 UTC

1UnRaTeD1 wrote:oh they work on bios they detect and everything soon as O/s boots and like 5 mins of up time i hear hdd making one quick sound then i check on my computer and both gone again :( but i will try what u said to. well both of ya :) btw the board only has 1 ide. i hope its the cable. i got tons of them laying around :)

if u are using any version of windows try this to. start in safe mode. open device manager you will see IDE devices. delete everything there (their might be 2 of each drive in there causing a conflict) u can only see this in technition mode or safe mode. deleting them will force windows to re-detect and reinstall drivers. I have fixed IDE problems like the ones you are having by doing this in older windows like 95, 98, 98b, me, 2000.
Apocalypse
Former Admin

Postby 1UnRaTeD1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 03:32 UTC

done did. after reboot. it detects and reboot again. and went to device settings . they are still same :(. i do have a sata 160 hdd. dam ide is messing with me. and ive dealt with ide for long time and never had any problems until now. i switched out cable and switched pins. they are running now. but for some reason the hdd is still acting up. dvdrom is fine though no more disappearing
only hdd is the problem now. im thinking the hdd is going out soon. dunno when but im making sure i dont loose anything. had to transfer files to main
1UnRaTeD1

Postby Apocalypse » Wed Apr 27, 2011 18:49 UTC

1UnRaTeD1 wrote:done did. after reboot. it detects and reboot again. and went to device settings . they are still same :(. i do have a sata 160 hdd. dam ide is messing with me. and ive dealt with ide for long time and never had any problems until now. i switched out cable and switched pins. they are running now. but for some reason the hdd is still acting up. dvdrom is fine though no more disappearing
only hdd is the problem now. im thinking the hdd is going out soon. dunno when but im making sure i dont loose anything. had to transfer files to main

i gotta agree drive might be going bad. unless dyn has anything to add i am stumped unrated :(
Apocalypse
Former Admin

Postby 1UnRaTeD1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 19:01 UTC

ok solution solved.. had to change out hdd with sata 1...i dont know why it acted up. it worked fine for 2 weeks and now it starts to give problems. ive just installed a sata hdd 160gb. lets see if anything happenes wich i doubt and dont want it to..but i know i went to bios before boot cause it set it to 160gb 1st boot lol....i dont want dat!! i hate corruptions

thanks for your info apoc and Dyn yall were helpful very indeed :)
1UnRaTeD1

Return to General Discussion