Forum - yes, no or maybe?

Misc topics

yes, forum is great
87%
yes, but with redesign (read first post)
6%
no, forum creates too much drama
6%

Total votes : 31

Postby dyn » Thu May 15, 2008 05:34 UTC

Simple question, complex answers. Forum benefits us, but also creates a lot of drama and some may even leave the servers because of it. We can address this by redesigning it and dedicate main section to clean and informative posts/threads and one section open to everyone for whatever you want, with auto-pruning after some days. We can even set rules like nothing in Misc is deleted, except illegal stuff and in Main section only best is kept. Well, it could help, but you need to tell me.

Re-voting is enabled.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Re: Forum - yes, no or maybe?

Postby IriDeck » Thu May 15, 2008 05:59 UTC

Hey Dyn,

I am thinking that items and topics merged/split/moved into the Trash Bin should be auto-deleted after a period of, say, 7 days.

If you want me to help enforce the "minimal drama" policy, I'll try to help by moving personally argumentative posts to the trash bin and reminding users to take it to PM or e-mail. Just let me know, as I don't want to step on any toes or do anything unauthorized.
IriDeck
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM17
Server: TDM

Postby dyn » Thu May 15, 2008 06:06 UTC

Trash Bin is currently auto-deleting everything inactive (not replied to) after 4 days.

Yes, it's good idea to keep posts on topic, but when you moderate absolutely everything then entire forum may feel too restrictive.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby CROSs » Thu May 15, 2008 06:13 UTC

In all honesty, I like the non restricted feeling here.
CROSs
Former Admin

Favorite map: uinmysites

Postby AG » Thu May 15, 2008 06:33 UTC

I've learned pretty fast which posts to avoid.

As long as I can get a point across that I feel involves "vogon" itself, then I don't care what dumb dating-service stuff people do on here. I'll ignore it anyway.
AG
Former Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby VAT » Thu May 15, 2008 10:13 UTC

.....>>>and one section open to everyone for whatever you want, with auto-pruning after some days.<<<....

good idea! included a dr.dr.dr.dr.dr.med.med.med.phil.phil.phil. HEADSHRINKER !! :king:
VAT

Postby VAT » Thu May 15, 2008 14:01 UTC

fubar wrote:
VAT wrote
.....>>>and one section open to everyone for whatever you want, with auto-pruning after some days.<<<....[/quote]

no...this uncomparable suggestion came from dyn and my answer was: good idea!!...... :king:

sorry, sometimes i understand correct quoting later than earlier.. but i think, next time i got it... :lol:
VAT

Postby IriDeck » Thu May 15, 2008 17:08 UTC

[email protected] wrote:There should be a "Drama" section created. Not on the main board, for everyone to see, but instead, have it
under it's own heading, so that you have to go to it, to view it. Members only mind you. No Guests/Anon.

I agree that this might be a good idea. Then, we can just move the drama to a different area which people can avoid altogether, should they choose.
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby Skwisgaar » Fri May 16, 2008 04:28 UTC

dyn wrote:...but also creates a lot of drama and some may even leave the servers because of it.

I don't think we should be concerned about drama. People choose which threads to read and respond to on their own free will. If there happens to be drama... just keep out of it! It is all about free will. A person's image is all about when to act and not to act. Act when engaged in good conversation. Don't act when there is trouble.

...and if somebody does decide to start some pointless rubbish, then maybe that person is not Vogon-worthy :no:

Just my two cents :yes2:
Skwisgaar

Postby AG » Fri May 16, 2008 06:55 UTC

Skwisgaar wrote:I don't think we should be concerned about drama. People choose which threads to read and respond to on their own free will. If there happens to be drama... just keep out of it! It is all about free will. A person's image is all about when to act and not to act. Act when engaged in good conversation. Don't act when there is trouble.

I mostly agree, but there are cases where legitimately useful threads are hijacked by a stream of counter-productive potty biscuits... the whole momentum of the thread dies.
AG
Former Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby IriDeck » Sat May 17, 2008 03:39 UTC

One or two posts of mudslinging or lighthearted bantering is acceptable, but not 4-12 posts of it. I'll step in then, and move them elsewhere.
IriDeck
Former Admin

Return to General Discussion