ag's rail tips for vogon

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

Re: ag's rail tips for vogon

Postby IriDeck » Sat Nov 07, 2009 04:46 UTC

Also, if you delete all of your configs, Q3 will generate a default one for you.

Take it from me: I tried goofing with all of the video settings, and for a brief time tried some high-contrast settings so no model could hide from me. All in all, it's just not worth it--the gameplay just isn't the same without the full environment in all its graphical splendor.

Here are my own suggestions as far as config changes. These are directly from my own Autoexec.cfg:

Code: Select all
seta gamma "2"
seta cg_marks "1"
seta cg_drawCrosshairNames "1"
seta cg_drawCrosshair "5"
seta cg_brassTime "2500"
seta com_soundMegs "32"
seta r_dynamiclight "1"
seta r_drawSun "0"
seta r_fastsky "1"
seta r_flares "0"
seta r_lodbias "0"
seta r_subdivisions "4"
seta r_vertexLight "0"
seta r_simpleMipMaps "1"
seta r_overBrightBits "1"
seta r_mapoverbrightbits "2"
seta r_picmip "1"
seta cl_mouseAccel "1.5"
seta sensitivity "7"
seta cl_packetdup "1"
seta cl_maxpackets "60"
seta com_blood "1"
seta com_maxfps "100"
seta com_hunkMegs "256"
seta cg_shadows "1"
seta cg_drawGun "0"
seta cg_zoomfov "58"
seta cg_fov "110"
seta cg_gibs "0"
seta cg_draw2D "1"
seta cg_drawStatus "1"
seta cg_drawTimer "1"
seta cg_drawFPS "1"
seta cg_drawSnapshot "0"
seta cg_draw3dIcons "1"
seta cg_drawIcons "1"
seta cg_drawAmmoWarning "0"
seta cg_drawAttacker "1"
seta cg_drawRewards "0"
seta cg_crosshairSize "24"
seta cg_crosshairHealth "1"
seta cg_crosshairX "0"
seta cg_crosshairY "0"
seta cg_simpleItems "0"
seta cg_lagometer "1"
seta cg_railTrailTime "1500"
seta cg_forceModel "0"
seta cg_deferPlayers "1"
seta cg_drawTeamOverlay "0"
seta cg_drawFriend "1"
seta cg_realrailtrail "2000"
seta com_zoneMegs "64"

Take care!
Iri
IriDeck
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM17
Server: TDM

Postby craij » Wed Nov 18, 2009 23:39 UTC

inspectorjimb wrote:Is there a place to download/copy the default cfg file for q3? I'd like to try to go back the original and modify from there and would like to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling.

i still play with default if you want mine

craij
craij

Server: FFA

Postby IJ » Fri Nov 20, 2009 14:38 UTC

Thanks craij, but I used Iri's suggestion and renamed my config files so that quake just generated new ones. Thanks Iri for that.

One of the config changes that I use that I don't believe has been previously mentioned is the setting up a custom aspect to play fullscreen on a 1920x1200 monitor:
Code: Select all
seta r_customheight "1200"
seta r_customwidth "1920"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customaspect "1"
IJ
Former Admin

Postby craij » Fri Mar 12, 2010 18:20 UTC

Question 1: what is the best FOV for railing? (I just tried Iri's value of 110 and it was great... I had been using 90)

Question 2: is there a way to turn off alt fire if you switch to rocket launcher? (I would like it to be a one key switch)
OR
Since I've assigned toggling af on/off (in my case "t")... is there a way to make it switch weapon to 7 (rail) when toggled on, then weapon 5 (RL) when toggled off?

Thanks in advance...
n00b tweaker
craij

Postby SD » Fri Mar 12, 2010 22:26 UTC

i use fov 120. I find it gives a decent view range without the gold fish bowl effect.
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby craij » Fri Mar 12, 2010 23:51 UTC

SD wrote:i use fov 120. I find it gives a decent view range without the gold fish bowl effect.

cool, what mouseaccel do you find works best for fov 120?
craij

Postby SD » Sat Mar 13, 2010 18:57 UTC

Mouse accel 1, sensitivity 7. Whe I first started playing I had them both cranked up to around a million, I found getting my sens down lower (not crazy low) helped a hell of a lot, and Im comfortable with accel 1. Trick is to play around but only adjust in small increments till you find what works for you.
SD
Former Admin

Postby craij » Sun Mar 14, 2010 20:30 UTC

SD wrote:Mouse accel 1, sensitivity 7. Whe I first started playing I had them both cranked up to around a million, I found getting my sens down lower (not crazy low) helped a hell of a lot, and Im comfortable with accel 1. Trick is to play around but only adjust in small increments till you find what works for you.

today i played with fov 110, mouseaccel .5, and sensitivity 5 ... certainly the best railing i've ever done
next time i'll try fov 120, mouseaccel .7, and sensitivity 7 and see how that goes
craij

Postby craij » Tue Mar 16, 2010 18:24 UTC

moving to fov 120 still felt like a fishbowl to me, mouse accel and sensitivity made me "pass" my targets more. any other tips?
craij

Postby SD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 21:59 UTC

Hmm, Ive been using FOV 120 for so long now maybe it does have the fishbowl effect but im so used to it I cant see it. I also have a pretty wide monitor which probably lessens the effect, or utilizes the size better, depending on how you look at it. As for tips, especially for railing, something very useful which AG told me long ago, is to keep your crosshair pretty much level with, or slightly above the ground, thats where most of your opponents will come into view, meaning you dont have to aim or re-aim so often. Ie wandering around with your rail skyward on enclosed maps is a fairly bad idea. Try to be smooth with your mouse, snapping around or basically panicking usually means you will over shoot or miss completely.
SD
Former Admin

Postby craij » Thu Mar 18, 2010 19:50 UTC

For sure.

My next purchase is a good mouse. Right now it's a poor shaped (flat) wireless mouse.
craij

Postby AG » Thu Mar 18, 2010 19:59 UTC

wireless mice are bad for games like this.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=907&p=13323#p13323

my deathadder is sitting on a shelf.
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17

Postby scumB » Thu Mar 18, 2010 20:54 UTC

(I think I mentioned this somewhere else on another thread as well)

For all you Mac users who cant and wont get used to that nasty mouse deceleration on your OS
you could get a program called steermouse.

I did and payed for it (20 US dollars) and you can set it anyway you want.
Without this i would not be able to frag anymore...

give it a go (trial) if you recognize this problem
scumB

Postby IJ » Fri Mar 19, 2010 13:37 UTC

craij wrote:moving to fov 120 still felt like a fishbowl to me, mouse accel and sensitivity made me "pass" my targets more. any other tips?

Just out of curiosity, what size is your screen and what's resolution do you usually play with? I ended up upping my fov to 150 when I went from a 19" monitor with 1280x1024 to a 24" monitor with 1920x1280 resolution because it felt like I was super zoomed in.
IJ
Former Admin

Postby craij » Fri Mar 19, 2010 22:50 UTC

inspectorjimb wrote:Just out of curiosity, what size is your screen and what's resolution do you usually play with? I ended up upping my fov to 150 when I went from a 19" monitor with 1280x1024 to a 24" monitor with 1920x1280 resolution because it felt like I was super zoomed in.

17" MacBook Pro
Game Resolution (custom) 1600x1024

I have a 24" external monitor but I like my Mac laptop's LCD display... much brighter, better colors than my PC laptop or external monitors

AG wrote:wireless mice are bad for games like this.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=907&p=13323#p13323
my deathadder is sitting on a shelf.

Here's the mouse I'm using: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS639LL/A

I'm sure I've got old Dell mouse lying around somewhere I'll give a try with.
craij

Postby craij » Fri Apr 16, 2010 17:09 UTC

Got a wired mouse finally 2 days ago. Seems to be helping a little.
craij

Postby chaos252 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 20:53 UTC

i dug up this old topic to get an idea what everyones settings were. ive been hearing a lot about how low sensitivity improves your game recently. Im thinking about dialing it down.

what exactly does /cl_mouseaccel do? cause mine is set to 0.

my sensitivity is 22. ive tried turning it down but to get the reaction and 180 shots i have to move the mouse like a foot across the table.. does /cl_mouseaccel help with that or are you guys really just flailing your arms around constantly??
chaos252
Former Admin

Favorite map: QZTOURNEY6

Postby Weegee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 21:55 UTC

Low sensitivity doesn't magically improve your aim unless you had way too much coffee or are jumpy for any other reason. What's more, changing your sensitivity alone, whether lower or higher - WILL obliterate your aiming until you get used to it again. Also, higher sensitivity = less wrist strain, and as you said it's easier to quickly turn around. I don't really bother with using console to set all the fancy stuff, I just set the sensitivity in options to something close to half the slider, and enable "smooth mouse" because I'm used to it. A few minutes of calibration to the mouse speed and server ping, and my brain goes back into "hardware aiming mode" again. That's all.
Same goes for any other "pro config" setting, really. If you're good, you can play on defaults with no trouble. If you suck, having 120 FOV and disabling everything won't help you much. Personally, I'd rather be a little handicapped than break the game to the point it no longer resembles what I know as Quake 3.
Weegee

Favorite map: q3dm4

Postby chaos252 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 23:46 UTC

i tried it.. and it would take some getting used to.

tried a bunch of combinations 8, 10, 12 and 15 sens with .5, .75, 1 and 1.5 accel

it certainly improved my aim on the pure servers. by a lot.. ppl are so much easier to track. especially with lg and rail. vogon though was too much. i was constantly flicking the mouse to turn rather than a smooth arc. wrist started hurting after 5 minutes. definitely couldnt do it. ill try smooth mouse out

i was talking to some really good player on quake live the other day who used 1.5 sensitivity and 1.5 accel. i cant even begin to undertand how ppl play like that
chaos252
Former Admin

Favorite map: QZTOURNEY6

Postby AG » Thu Aug 11, 2011 00:28 UTC

chaos252 wrote:i tried it.. and it would take some getting used to.

tried a bunch of combinations 8, 10, 12 and 15 sens with .5, .75, 1 and 1.5 accel

it certainly improved my aim on the pure servers. by a lot.. ppl are so much easier to track. especially with lg and rail. vogon though was too much. i was constantly flicking the mouse to turn rather than a smooth arc. wrist started hurting after 5 minutes. definitely couldnt do it. ill try smooth mouse out

i was talking to some really good player on quake live the other day who used 1.5 sensitivity and 1.5 accel. i cant even begin to undertand how ppl play like that

i have a newer, shittier mouse now that doesn't do that well. my sensitivity is 4 and cl_mouseaccel is 1.5.

it all depends on the mouse, os settings and preferences. my hands shake so i like it slower. yeah, i have to move my arm wider, but it works better for my aim. cl_mouseaccel is basically… the faster you move your mouse, the faster you it moves on the screen. so, if you lowering your sensitivity will help your aim when you're moving slower, but raising accel will counteract that for quick movements and 180's. it's can take time to find what you're comfortable with.

as far as what weegee was saying about being a Q3 Purist, there's always been guys who claim you're not legit and it's not "Real Quake" unless you play with a stock config on all default settings. some of those people will also log on to vogon and complain about the hook, passthrough rail, bouncy grenades, etc. i mean come on… vogon isn't standard q3.

either way, like i said in one of the original posts, you'll do better the less you mess with your config. changing your mouse settings isn't exactly that big a deal, especially considering differences between regular q3, ioq3, windows and os x.
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby Weegee » Thu Aug 11, 2011 01:27 UTC

If I was a purist, I wouldn't play Vogon. I just don't touch my config, probably because I can't be arsed to keep track of cfg files and have a habit of deleting them few times a week.
Weegee

Postby AG » Thu Aug 11, 2011 04:49 UTC

fair enough weegee
AG
Q3 Admin

Postby SD » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:13 UTC

I haven't messed with mine much either. Only a few mouse tweaks like above and set fov to 120 so I can see more, that's about it I think. Oh and miscellaneous stuff like drawfps etc but that's hardly a tweak.
SD
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:27 UTC

Depends on DPI, if you have very high DPI some people like to use very low sensitivity with it. For normal 800-1600 DPI i wouldn't go too low with sensitivity. Mouse acceleration people usually turn off.

This old guide may be helpful:
http://www.overclock.net/mice/173255-cs-s-mouse-optimization-guide.html
( Windows registry tweak to disable mouse accel is valid for XP and W7 as well, confirmed. )
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby craij » Fri Aug 12, 2011 15:01 UTC

AG wrote:as far as what weegee was saying about being a Q3 Purist, there's always been guys who claim you're not legit and it's not "Real Quake" unless you play with a stock config on all default settings. some of those people will also log on to vogon and complain about the hook, passthrough rail, bouncy grenades, etc. i mean come on… vogon isn't standard q3.

yep, that was me. i stopped complaining and joined in. "can't beat 'em, kill 'em." i use ag's tips so i can kill him!
craij

Postby Weegee » Sat Aug 13, 2011 02:12 UTC

dyn wrote:Depends on DPI, if you have very high DPI some people like to use very low sensitivity with it. For normal 800-1600 DPI i wouldn't go too low with sensitivity. Mouse acceleration people usually turn off.

This old guide may be helpful:
http://www.overclock.net/mice/173255-cs-s-mouse-optimization-guide.html
( Windows registry tweak to disable mouse accel is valid for XP and W7 as well, confirmed. )

Hey, it works. I must've forgotten I had acceleration off before I reinstalled Windows, no wonder my aim was horrible last few days. Also, looks like my "natural" settings were pretty much this (pixel perfect mouse movement) but discovered by trial and error, lol.
Weegee

Previous

Return to Quake 3