Any Quake 3 players left in Australia?

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

Any Quake 3 players left in Australia?

Postby Wishful Thinking! » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 UTC

I put a call out for any Quake 3 Arena players in Australia??... It seems that it is very hard to find people this side of the planet to play this classic game.
me, and some mates have gone through the efforts of renting a server with ftp for the custom maps, we play on it all the time, and chat on teamspeak 3.
for obvious reasons (ping), American and servers in Europe are of no use for serious gameplay.

with the release back in 2008 of Quakelive, and then public release in 2009, it has almost killed the community here, only being held together by me and some mates.
cpma is still very large over here, but that just isn't default q3, and trying to get thos guys over for 3v3 ctf or something, is proving to be extremely difficult.
Wishful Thinking!

Re: Any Quake 3 players left in Australia?

Postby dyn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 20:37 UTC

Q3, i am not sure, it's very weak and not ecessarily because of QL. You see, some players actually switched to Q3 because of QL, not the other way around -- it reignited their interest for a bit of time, which is a good thing. It is normal for Q3 to have much less players, we are talking about 1999 game and i remember 30+ player DM games just a few years ago. Not many games survive more than a decade, Q3 was really popular for long time.

In order to get more people it would help if you set specific time for them to join, so they don't wait alone on servers. This could work i think.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Re: Any Quake 3 players left in Australia?

Postby Wishful Thinking! » Fri Sep 21, 2012 06:14 UTC

yeah fair enough, I know of a few cases in which QL had invited people to Q3.

I've already gone onto our local Quake IRC chat rooms over here, and have organized on many occasions for all forms of Q3 and Q3TA matches, even a week in advance, one to two people show up for about 15 minutes then get bored and leave, lol. so I thought I would goto a forum that I know has Quake 3 players (vogon) and see if there were any this side of the plate hiding :D

sadly yes, this 13 year old game has had it's day, and it's been said to me many of times that I'm flogging a dead horse, but I see so much potential as we have a fairly large quakelive community over here.

cheers..
Wishful Thinking!

Return to Quake 3