Q3 dedicated server squeezed into 40 MB!

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

Q3 dedicated server squeezed into 40 MB!

Postby dyn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 13:25 UTC

This is really amazing, i did some pk3 optimization before for the q3 client paks, but i knew server could be optimized even further because it doesn't really need any graphic or sound files. After a bit of hardcore pk3 hacking it was finally done & result is 12.5x reduction in size! Together with mod and config files it's still around 40 mb, because those are very small in size, for example, 1 backup rar with old 1.32 q3_ded and new ioq3 (2 different servers for testing purposes) is only 40,680,198 bytes. :)

Main optimization is pak0.pk3, which is 40,721,721 bytes exactly. Other paks are 100-byte empty zips so everything is compatible with old and new ioq3 servers. Those could be removed too, but not without server modification. With this it's possible to run Q3 server on cheapest VPS servers, or from ancient 64 MB USB sticks, etc...

q3_server_40mb.png

q3_server_505mb.png

Another interesting thing is filesize itself, 721 repeats 2x. It must have some occult meaning! 666 + 55 = 721 :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Re: Q3 dedicated server squeezed into 40 MB!

Postby AG » Tue Mar 05, 2013 16:33 UTC

that's pretty awesome.
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby dyn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 UTC

I also managed to compress COD4 into 888 MB, from 5.5 GB! This can be even more useful, because not always you have 5.5 GB available. In both cases less system resources are wasted, although memory usage will be more or less the same once game is running, since pak files are zips and game server extracts only what it needs. It may load maps faster, and with less data there will be much less fragmentation, full backups are easier to create and so on.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Postby misfit » Wed Mar 06, 2013 13:45 UTC

dyn wrote:I also managed to compress COD4 into 888 MB, from 5.5 GB! This can be even more useful, because not always you have 5.5 GB available. In both cases less system resources are wasted, although memory usage will be more or less the same once game is running, since pak files are zips and game server extracts only what it needs. It may load maps faster, and with less data there will be much less fragmentation, full backups are easier to create and so on.

That's amazing dyn. It's going to be interesting seeing what the effect of this compression is.

misfit
misfit
TM (inactive)

Postby AG » Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:22 UTC

dyn wrote:I also managed to compress COD4 into 888 MB, from 5.5 GB! This can be even more useful, because not always you have 5.5 GB available. In both cases less system resources are wasted, although memory usage will be more or less the same once game is running, since pak files are zips and game server extracts only what it needs. It may load maps faster, and with less data there will be much less fragmentation, full backups are easier to create and so on.

yeah that's definitely awesome. i got cod4 from the app store and was kind of horrified of the size.
AG
Q3 Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Return to Quake 3