Connection settings

Info on Quake 3 and VOGON servers - live status of all Q3 servers

Connection settings

Postby dyn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 16:57 UTC

In Q3 you can reduce ping with adequate setup which provides relatively smooth game, so hardware is not an issue, and then try /rate 25000 or more (our servers have max set to 42000 or even 80000), /snaps 30 (40 recommended by many is same as 30), /cl_maxpackets 30-90 (don't go below 30) and /cl_packetdup 0-5 (1 is default, 2+ are good for severe packet loss and MAY produce micro-lag, i use 0).

Packetdup is interesting, it sends same command twice and server ignores second command. Why is that good then? It helps in case some packet is lost, its duplicate will be considered as the first one, unless it arrives too late. Packetdup over 1 will make your client send unnecessary duplicate packets to the server and they are all ignored, but in many cases upload speeds are critical on cable modems and ADSL, so duplicating or triplicating all the packets all the time means more work for client and more uploading, which may, in case of slow upload or other factors, produce micro-lag which may influence your playing. I recommend cl_packetdup 0 (ZERO!) which means you won't duplicate any packet and with good connection that's just fine. Use cg_lagometer 1 ( i use bind F9 "toggle cg_lagometer" ) to see if your connection is OK -- lost packets would appear as red vertical line and too low rate would show as yellow.

In case of bad connection i recommend to use rates 25000-30000, or even lower like /rate 5000-15000 and /cl_packetdup 0-2, with /cl_maxpackets 15-60.

Update: you can use rates up to 80000 on all Vogon Q3 servers. :king:
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Re: Connection settings

Postby DarthPaganeo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 17:34 UTC

Heres a question...

is a 90 - 99 ping bad?
am i missing the full potential of the game beacause of my ping?

can you tell me if i have to do the things on your post?
DarthPaganeo

Favorite map: q3ctf4
Server: CTF

Postby dyn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 17:43 UTC

No, it's OK ping, not the best but still good. It depends where you are located and how fast your line is. It won't hurt if you try different settings. Use lower cl_maxpackets, try 30-60 and see if it reduces ping.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby DarthPaganeo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 17:50 UTC

ok i'll try that, thank you
is there any other command i can try to make it lower?
DarthPaganeo

Favorite map: q3ctf4

Postby CROWLEY » Mon Apr 14, 2008 22:25 UTC

thanks!!! xD
CROWLEY

Postby RUSS1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 15:14 UTC

How strongly it reduces ping? My ping is 200-230. On what I can count?
RUSS1

Postby dyn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 06:34 UTC

Depends, can be same or maybe up to 20% better, depends on settings before optimization. I think your settings are OK.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby RUSS1 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 09:00 UTC

dyn wrote:Depends, can be same or maybe up to 20% better, depends on settings before optimization. I think your settings are OK.

Why do you think so?
RUSS1

Postby dyn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 15:57 UTC

You talked to others on server about settings, if i am not mistaken. Try diff settings and see.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby RUSS1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:34 UTC

dyn wrote:You talked to others on server about settings, if i am not mistaken. Try diff settings and see.

Ok
RUSS1

Postby XtremKiller » Wed Apr 23, 2008 13:41 UTC

You konw my ping is 270 or above !! So horible ping .. Think how i am playing !
plz tell me . how much can i reduce ping..?
XtremKiller

Postby dyn » Wed Apr 23, 2008 14:23 UTC

Do this: Start > Run > cmd and then type ping vogon.vg. Number you see is more or less ping you will get with your setup/ISP. Q3 settings can only optimize ping when ping is increased because of bad settings.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby emperor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 14:21 UTC

I have ADSL line with 2 Mbit download speed.
ADSL line is connected to ruter. (ruter is with wifi access point).
I play Quake 3 on my notebook (wireless connection to my ruter).
And i am located in south of Poland.
On CFF Chaos i have ping 84 ~ 98 ...

Which settings is best for me?
emperor

Postby dyn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 18:24 UTC

Try settings described in the first post above. Compare it to real ping (start > run > cmd > ping <server_host or ip>) and see if there is any difference between pings and in-game ping. Games usually show a little higher ping all the time, but real ping is what you get with ping command.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby Weegee » Tue Aug 16, 2011 21:07 UTC

You should be getting <60 ping as you live around where I do and have an identical connection. As a matter of fact, I've seen you have same ping as I do earlier. It's more of a matter of bad settings because I also had 80+ last time I got trigger happy with rate and snaps using an outdated guide from early 00's.
Weegee

Favorite map: q3dm4

Postby dyn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 09:32 UTC

You have ADSL/ADSL2+? If yes, you can call ISP and tell them to ask some technician if they can adjust internal buffer for ADSL, it was possible in my case with ADSL2+ and i got lower ping. There are also some other settings, which can affect ping. If you have IPTV (tv over internet) then it is possible they increased internal buffer to ensure there are no errors, so picture is stable. This only applies to ADSL. VDSL is different i think. Best is connection without IPTV, they can optimize it without worrying about TV datastream. It also depends on setup and equipment, some ISPs may not use those settings. In my case with ADSL2+ they lowered buffer, which produced errors on TV, but inet was OK. Then i asked them to put it back or somewhere in the middle and they did something else which got rid of errors and ping was still lower. It all depends on how much time they are willing to spend optimizing it.

If you can, get VDSL, most modern centrals support both ADSL2+ and VDSL, some even VDSL2. Only problem is distance and if ISP supports it. You need different modem for those and ping should be better, i think.

Of course best thing is fiber, usually FTTH, pings are lowest and speeds are great. In case you can get it you won't regret it.
dyn
Site Admin

Return to Quake 3