Any coders?

Software and hardware

Any coders?

Postby IriDeck » Wed May 27, 2009 13:37 UTC

So how many coders do we have here on Vogon? What's your favourite programming language?

I started with GW-Basic back in '91, and still do VBA and VB.Net programming today. Lots of Javascript/HTML/CSS coding as well (I don't like WYSIWYG editors and have never trusted them). I've also dabbled in Java, as well as C#, which feels like the bastard child of VB and Java, strangely enough, but C# is rapidly becoming a favourite.

Can't wait to clear some current projects off my plate so I can start learning Assembly language. Being able to code an executable directly into Assembly saves a HUGE amount of disk space, and can be valuable on a network. I wonder how one codes binary directly, like Skape (Supposedly, Skape taught himself to read binary natively)?

I looked briefly at C++ since my current project is to code Context Menu Extensions, but C++ is a whole new animal, completely unlike any other language I've dealt with. Will have to come back to that one.

What's your favourite language(s), and why?
IriDeck
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM17
Server: TDM

Re: Any coders?

Postby dyn » Wed May 27, 2009 14:02 UTC

I most liked 6502/6510 assembler. 8-bit, simple, very effective. Once i escaped from a game with a little fish (game character) and roamed around lower memory area on C64 ($0000-$03ff), which was presented on a screen as game-data. It was very funny, especially looking at people's faces when i was trying to explain how nice system timers look when you swim around them.

Yea...
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Postby AG » Wed May 27, 2009 18:50 UTC

tcl: small and powerful. sadly, almost dead.
javascript most abused and misunderstood language i know of. fun to work with. yui is nice and doesn't rewrite the language.
perl: valuable but too many ways to do one thing.
c: it's c.
lisp: it's lisp.
php: pretty awful, but comes in handy.
6502 assembly: iigs hearts

brainfuck and malbolge are the only languages that matter.

i've had to use a lot of other stuff over the years. i ignore fashion languages if i can. a lot of languages are misused for the purpose.

i don't use anything that requires buying an ide. i don't really use an ide at all -- either subethaedit or vim.
AG
Former Admin

Favorite map: q3dm17
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby IriDeck » Wed May 27, 2009 19:59 UTC

Nothing really "requires" an IDE, does it? If you code it in Notepad and save it with the appropriate extension, all you need to do is compile it with the appropriate reference files in the directory and the right compiler parameters & switches.

Wow, brainfuck really is as whacked-out as it sounds. The best part is that it's Turing-complete! :D
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby AG » Wed May 27, 2009 20:02 UTC

IriDeck wrote:Nothing really "requires" an IDE, does it?

dotnet and all that crap. you can get around it in some ways, but it's a pain in the ass.
AG
Former Admin

Postby IriDeck » Wed May 27, 2009 21:11 UTC

My current project can be completely done with CMD files, but I don't want people reading the source. And ExeScript makes our AVS go berserk (as well as other peoples', apparently). I wanted to build something that would be seamless for my end-users.

Any other suggestions for compiling a CMD script?
IriDeck
Former Admin

Postby AG » Wed May 27, 2009 21:22 UTC

dunno -- i was in a dotnet shop for a while and just used a win2k vm with visual studio because of something previous developers did. i don't really remember -- they were transitioning to a different platform after losing ms special pricing shit so i tried to pay as little attention as necessary.
AG
Former Admin

Postby Tripredacus » Thu May 28, 2009 00:33 UTC

I have done Assembly, C++ and C#

I currently (or can use at a moments notice) HTML, CSS, PHP, JScript, AutoIT, Kixtart, VBScript

Probably more I forgot about... like ActionScript.
Tripredacus
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3DM2
Server: FFA

Return to Tech stuff