Hello... Been A While

Misc topics

Hello... Been A While

Postby Apocalypse » Tue Apr 23, 2019 23:22 UTC

How is everyone doing?
Me..... Had alot of health problems the past 4 or 5 years. Getting better now. Just ordered parts for a new puter.
Still here and missing vogon.
Apoc
Apocalypse
Former Admin

Favorite map: Winter_Crash
Server: COD4

Re: Hello... Been A While

Postby dyn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 04:51 UTC

Hey, long time no see! :)

Glad to see you are back and doing better. Kimmy is doing OK?

VOGON is still online, but we seriously need some new games or something around old games. I am exploring a few options around that, but it would require total site overhaul and diff strategy and a new playerbase.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8
Server: FFA

Postby SD » Wed Apr 24, 2019 14:05 UTC

What are people even playing these days anyway? I stopped gaming years ago for various reasons so I'm completely out of the loop. I played a bit of Q3 here recently when I found the USB stick with my cfg on and I discovered that after years of not gaming, I reaallllllly suck compared to how I used to play.
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby Fierfaks » Wed Apr 24, 2019 15:08 UTC

The less you play, the more you lose your skills. :-(
Fierfaks
COD4 Admin

Server: TDM

Postby Apocalypse » Wed Apr 24, 2019 19:30 UTC

Guys.. Got my 250mb xfinity blast back. I am no longer working when puter gets going i plan on coming back to play... And give Dyn and vogon any help i can give as always.
Apocalypse
Former Admin

Postby Apocalypse » Wed Apr 24, 2019 19:36 UTC

Ohh.... Kimmy says hello and she misses everyone. She said even SD lol
Apocalypse
Former Admin

Postby GR1T » Wed Apr 24, 2019 23:52 UTC

I'll be looking for you on the COD4 server. I want to show you my knife. :)
GR1T

Favorite map: Countdown

Postby dyn » Thu Apr 25, 2019 05:13 UTC

SD wrote:What are people even playing these days anyway? I stopped gaming years ago for various reasons so I'm completely out of the loop. I played a bit of Q3 here recently when I found the USB stick with my cfg on and I discovered that after years of not gaming, I reaallllllly suck compared to how I used to play.

A lot of stuff, Fortnite is free and popular and also there are alternatives, some also free. Of course, they earn by selling you stuff in the game. The only problem is those are games are very tied to the companies and their servers, and practically impossible to mod or set up dedicated servers. Another problem: with any mega-popular game be ready to play all day long with 10 year olds, which will be highly annoying, especially with voice on.

Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is also free for a few years already, and has a pretty stable user-base. Dedicated servers are possible, which is what we like, in the game those are called 'community servers' to differentiate them from the official servers.

In case you missed it - DOOM co-developer John Romero is ready to release SIGIL, a new episode for The Ultimate DOOM! Yes, 1995 game, and the original DOOM was finished in 1993 already, the ultimate edition added 4th episode, and now in 2019 5th episode will be added! It will be out in a few weeks and for best experience anyone playing it should use a modern engine like GZDoom or similar. All you need is the original .wad and a new engine. Will make a thread about it when it's released. He also released E1M8B and E1M4B in 2016.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby SD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 14:43 UTC

dyn wrote:
SD wrote:What are people even playing these days anyway? I stopped gaming years ago for various reasons so I'm completely out of the loop. I played a bit of Q3 here recently when I found the USB stick with my cfg on and I discovered that after years of not gaming, I reaallllllly suck compared to how I used to play.

Dyn wrote:A lot of stuff, Fortnite is free

Heard of it, know a few people whose children play it? Is it a "vogon-ish" game?!

Dyn wrote:and popular and also there are alternatives, some also free. Of course, they earn by selling you stuff in the game. The only problem is those are games are very tied to the companies and their servers, and practically impossible to mod or set up dedicated servers. Another problem: with any mega-popular game be ready to play all day long with 10 year olds, which will be highly annoying, especially with voice on.

Oh yeah, VC can be annoying in games. Back in the day we used to use Vent here of course, and for a short time TS. I run 2 Discord servers of my own and admin about 8 others. I've recently taken a break from Discord though, was getting on my nerves, need at least another week off.

Dyn wrote:Team Fortress 2 (TF2) is also free for a few years already, and has a pretty stable user-base. Dedicated servers are possible, which is what we like, in the game those are called 'community servers' to differentiate them from the official servers.

Yeah I'm fairly familiar with TF2, never tried it but I know it's popular. Seems more Vogonish :)

Dyn wrote:In case you missed it - DOOM co-developer John Romero is ready to release SIGIL, a new episode for The Ultimate DOOM! Yes, 1995 game, and the original DOOM was finished in 1993 already, the ultimate edition added 4th episode, and now in 2019 5th episode will be added! It will be out in a few weeks and for best experience anyone playing it should use a modern engine like GZDoom or similar. All you need is the original .wad and a new engine. Will make a thread about it when it's released. He also released E1M8B and E1M4B in 2016.

Can't beat DOOM. It has epic nostalgic value for for me, especially D2. Broke both my ankles when I was a kid and spent the entire summer holidays playing nothing but D2. I didn't enjoy D3, too dark, too different, same reasons I didn't enjoy Quake 4.
SD
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat Apr 27, 2019 18:28 UTC

Best remake is DOOM 4 (DOOM 2016) and DOOM Eternal, which will be released this year.

DOOM 4 (2016)

DOOM Eternal – Official Gameplay Reveal (2019)

dyn
Site Admin

Postby QueenKimmy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 04:37 UTC

Hi Everyone!!! :-D
QueenKimmy
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3ProDM3

Postby dyn » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:12 UTC

Hi Kimmy! Great to see you around! :)

Maybe more will join - if enough people are interested we can setup one Q3 server with custom maps, like this: viewtopic.php?p=32711#p32711
dyn
Site Admin

Postby QueenKimmy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 05:00 UTC

Hi Dyn! Missed ya!
QueenKimmy
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Tue Apr 30, 2019 08:46 UTC

QueenKimmy wrote:Hi Dyn! Missed ya!

Thanks! :)
dyn
Site Admin

Postby dyn » Tue Apr 30, 2019 08:47 UTC

Apoc, this may be interesting for you, DOOM 3 expansion pack The Lost Mission, but you maybe already know about it. Certain elements were incorporated into DOOM 4, like that stone block hitting the ground @ 1:30:00 and similar. It has weapons and enemies from DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil as well.

DOOM 3: The Lost Mission walkthrough

dyn
Site Admin

Postby Apocalypse » Tue Apr 30, 2019 19:00 UTC

dyn wrote:Apoc, this may be interesting for you, DOOM 3 expansion pack The Lost Mission, but you maybe already know about it. Certain elements were incorporated into DOOM 4, like that stone block hitting the ground @ 1:30:00 and similar. It has weapons and enemies from DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil as well.

DOOM 3: The Lost Mission walkthrough

Looks good will have to try it. I have most of the stuff for doom 3.SIKK mod was awesome .
Thanks dyn. Oh and kimmy has been trying to play quake but no one on vogon
Apocalypse
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Wed May 01, 2019 07:09 UTC

Sometimes a few players are on HQ-1, other times on NL. It would be best for all interested to join at the same time. Not many of Q3 players are still active, even years ago it was a few hundred online at the same time worldwide and declining.

Check Q3 real stats from 2009 and 2010, US 40-50 players and globally barely 100, if even, and that was 10 years ago!

So, yes, Q3 is done unless people decide to play and join. No other way around. Even if you sit on some server you may at best get 1-2 curious players, and sometimes even using hacks, because they can't handle 2 remaining players. :)
dyn
Site Admin

Postby SD » Wed May 01, 2019 11:31 UTC

That happened to me about 2 weeks ago, I was just bashing Ms Gauntlet for a while and then someone joined, then another, we had a few maps. People will sometimes join if they see human players connected.
SD
Former Admin

Postby QueenKimmy » Thu May 09, 2019 17:43 UTC

Was looking at gametracker to see what games people are playing since we have been out of the loop for sometime now. Saw counter strike global offensive has like 20k servers. Not sure if that is a game we can put it on our own server or if dyn can mod a server. Im not real familiar with a lot of the games on the list but i figured that was a good place to look.
QueenKimmy
Former Admin

Postby SD » Thu May 09, 2019 18:07 UTC

I'm also out of the loop and probably suck at any game more aggressive than chess right now but I have to admit, I did enjoy my few rounds on Q3 a few weeks back. Might slip on later to see if anyone is playing.
SD
Former Admin

Postby ES*AllyMcBeal » Fri May 10, 2019 16:00 UTC

Well, well! I saw some references to old map packs, and I took a look at my Q3 folder for maps and such. Here's what I've got tucked away:

Beryllium
    ChaosHouse
    CPMA
    CraneWorks
    CTF Maps
    DeexDyne
    DoctorsHouse
    EvilClan
    ExcessivePlus
    FilePlanet
    Generations MOD
    JAX Maps
    Kitty
    Lego
    LevelMaker
    Map-Bot-Tools
    MapTools
    MasterCTF Maps
    NewWorldClan
    OSP Mod
    PlusPlus Maps
    PunkBuster
    q3pointrelease_132.exe
    Ryoko Skins
    Simpsons_Map
    SMPmapset
    Threewave
    Ventrillo
    Vogon
    X3 Maps
    ZCTFS Maps

These are the folder names. The folders contain .zip .tar, and some other related stuff. If any map paks strike your fancy, I'll dig them out and post them for y'all!
ES*AllyMcBeal
Former Admin

Return to General Discussion