Q3 on phones?

Misc topics

Q3 on phones?

Postby QueenKimmy » Tue May 07, 2019 19:40 UTC

Is there something i can dl to play q3 on my phone? I looked in the playstore and found 1 that had IOQuake 3 but not sure if i can access vogons servers through it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Got the itch to play again and my laptop dying was a major buzz kill.
QueenKimmy
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3ProDM3
Server: FFA

Re: Q3 on phones?

Postby SD » Wed May 08, 2019 12:25 UTC

I've no idea whether Q3 even exists for phones, but even if it did I can't imagine how you would actually play it - I mean, no mouse, no keyboard?
SD
Former Admin

Favorite map: Q3TOURNEY3
Server: INSTAKILL

Postby SD » Wed May 08, 2019 12:30 UTC

Well, turns out it does exist, and I imagine with practice it would be possible to play fairly well using it. And it seems it does support multiplayer so provided it's the correct version (or can be patched to the correct version, 1.32 for Vogon servers I believe, dyn can correct this if it's wrong) then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to play.

SD
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Wed May 08, 2019 18:08 UTC

- this is for Android -
Beloko had a lot of ports, all Quake 1-3 and DOOM engines, then they renamed to Open Touch Gaming and put multiple engines into 2 main packages. I also have earlier versions of Beloko engines archived.

Quad Touch
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opentouchgaming.quadtouch
DarkPlaces - Q1 engine with many enhanced features and graphics.
QuakeSpasm - Q1 engine staying true to the original.
FTEQW - Q1 engine with enhanced graphics and great multiplayer. Also plays Hexen 2!
Quake 2 v3.24 - The original Q2 engine with bug fixes and a few extras.
Yamagi Quake 2 - A modern Q2 engine with many new features.
IOQuake3 - The definitive Q3 engine.
Hexen 2 - Hammer of Thyrion - The only Hexen 2 engine worth playing.

* The very best FPS touch screen controls available on Android
* Full gamepad support
* Built in keyboard
* Weapon Wheel
* 6 custom buttons for you to bind to custom commands
* Full console access for all games
* Fully navigatable UI via a gamepad
* GUI to select mods and total conversions
* Gyro aim assist (Gyroscope needed)
* Play all official expansion packs for Q1 and Q2
* Play your copy of Hexen 2 using the FTEQW engine OR Hammer of Thyrion

Note:
This app does not include any original 'Quake' or 'Hexen 2' data. You must provide your own files to play the original games

Delta Touch [THE Doom engine source port]
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opentouchgaming.quadtouch
Four of the best 'Doom engine' source ports brought to Android.

* GZDoom (v1.9.1 & v3.2x & dev)
* Chocolate Doom
* PrBoom+
* RetroDoom

You can find game files (pk3 for quake3) on CD-ROM or online with a bit of googling. Note: you need pak0-8, for 1.32 point release. On PC it may be simpler, pak0 + point release patch will add what is missing. No worries, most sites online will have all paks present anyway, otherwise we can upload.

SD wrote:Well, turns out it does exist, and I imagine with practice it would be possible to play fairly well using it. And it seems it does support multiplayer so provided it's the correct version (or can be patched to the correct version, 1.32 for Vogon servers I believe, dyn can correct this if it's wrong) then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to play.

Yes, in case of Android the engine is already there, so all that is needed are pak0-8 files. Those do include all updates from the 1.32 point release. Server needs that version from all clients since protocol and maps did change a bit from 1999 to 2002 when 1.32 was released. BTW, ioquake may be above 1.32, but it is always compatible with the latest official version.
dyn
Site Admin

Favorite map: q3dm8

Postby QueenKimmy » Wed May 08, 2019 23:49 UTC

I was figuring i could play it with a gamepad on my phone.
QueenKimmy
Former Admin

Postby QueenKimmy » Thu May 09, 2019 00:21 UTC

Got it! Now i just gotta figure a way to get the pak files so i can transfer them lol.
QueenKimmy
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Thu May 09, 2019 00:28 UTC

dyn
Site Admin

Postby QueenKimmy » Thu May 09, 2019 15:57 UTC

You're the best! Was fragging last night. Graphics were great. Smooth play. The controls are going to take getting used to since i was always a keyboard/mouse kinda girl. You are able to assign buttons and configure controls. Ms. Gauntlet was helping me get used to the controls lol. Don't think i would be playing it without the gamepad though. Overall happy with it, def worth the $1.99
QueenKimmy
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Thu May 09, 2019 16:38 UTC

Thanks! I did download pk3 files from the url above and verify them, they are 100% original and OK to use.

Maybe we could setup some server for InstaKill, or anything else, with at least some bots. It's hard to get Q3 players, 20 years after it was released. :D
dyn
Site Admin

Postby SD » Thu May 09, 2019 18:05 UTC

dyn wrote:Maybe we could setup some server for InstaKill,

I don't want to use massive fonts or bright colours or something but can I just chip in here and say....... (clears throat)

YES

That should just about get my view across :)
SD
Former Admin

Postby QueenKimmy » Thu May 09, 2019 19:25 UTC

ill use the over-emphasized for you:
YES PLEASE
QueenKimmy
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Fri May 10, 2019 16:59 UTC

OK! First i need to check some old backups for InstaKill config. There is something on the servers already, but i remember we had a few variants, some better than others.

With Q3 we can try different configurations and setups (which can be reloaded on-the-fly) or even servers, it's not like players will invade them, so everything uses very low resources, plus i optimized it.

Should be ready soon.
Last edited by dyn on Tue May 14, 2019 01:13 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tomorrow -> soon, because we need to relocate a few server resources
dyn
Site Admin

Postby SD » Sat May 11, 2019 09:38 UTC

Is it much hassle to load the WTF maps as an option? I remember they were running on the servers at one time and I really enjoyed them, there were tennis court ones, glass floor ones, I remember them being awesome for IK matches. If it's too much hassle no worries :)
SD
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat May 11, 2019 16:35 UTC

It's no problem adding them to the server, but some clients may then get an error if they have no maps.

The maps should be in vgmini01.zip pack, you can check all the common files we used for Q3, plus a few extras, in VOGON Links thread. There was one bigger 487 MB map pack (vogonpak01) + 13 MB skins, but vgmini01 replaced it, i am mentioning it in case maybe you remember some map from that bigass pack. BTW, do not use it together with vgmini, because on some maps a few textures may be in conflict when both are loaded together, and it only takes resources. In general it's best to use as clean Q3 as possible.

Tech info: in Q3 it is possible to join even if the maps are not present client-side, as long as custom maps are not loaded. The main problem is slow map downloading, so we modified the server in the past to tell people where to get the maps, instead of just returning some cryptic error. Still, many people didn't understand how to install stuff, so we used stock maps only for normal servers.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby dyn » Mon May 20, 2019 23:45 UTC

Do we want CTF server as well? Team games need more players, which is rare with Quake 3 today, so it will be empty most of the time.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby SD » Wed May 22, 2019 17:10 UTC

Hmm, I'd love to say yes but the fact of the matter is I completely suck at CTF so in all likelihood I wouldn't play in a CTF server. Plus I remember the drama from back when Q3CTF was popular, the camping, the flag spamming, "is this against the rules or isn't it" etc - CTF players get really bawdy when they don't get their own way :D
SD
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat May 25, 2019 14:05 UTC

OK! It is ready, finally!

VOGON INSTAKILL
/connect q3.vogon.co:29000

It uses the original configuration from years ago, ported to current server. Railgun-only, with BFG-rail which goes through walls. Weapon attributes are toggled when you use alt-fire.

In case you forgot it, alt-fire mode can be toggled with /af command in the console, or with +button6 key-press. Alt-fire setting is reset on map change/restart.

Hook is also enabled, use +button5 for hook.

My binds are as follows:
Code: Select all
bind f "af"
bind q "+button5;wait;weapon 10"
bind r "+button6"

(weapon 10 is fallback for the other hook type, in case that's used on the server)

Let me know how it runs, also if your Quake 3 is running as it should. There are new versions of ioq3 which provide various improvements, like more vibrant colors when playing in a window, ability to reduce FPS & turn sound off when Q3 runs in background, and other stuff. The server is compatible with any of those, including Q3 on Android, so you should be able to connect and play with old and new clients.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby SD » Sat May 25, 2019 18:22 UTC

SWEEEEEEEET! I always hated hook and never used it even in offhand mode. My original cfg is set for AF and when I played recently in both Q3 servers it was working fine so I think I'm good to go! Going to make a shortcut now, and then grab something to drink - then I'm in the server!
SD
Former Admin

Postby SD » Sat May 25, 2019 18:31 UTC

Just tested it, in spec, seems to be working just fine, I need to change some binds though because I have some stuff bound to "say" on the F keys which no longer applies, if you're VOGON-0 you probably saw that. I will adjust it before playing
SD
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat May 25, 2019 18:48 UTC

No rush, i saw some msg about Ventrilo, then you disconnected. :)

Server runs with 2 bots and they go away when players join. I can also add special vgcode to config so you can change maps and other things, but first fix your stuff. I also need to test different ioquake3 versions and a few configs, and then eventually post about it, basically which setup is best for Q3 today with link to download stuff, but not today.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby SD » Sat May 25, 2019 18:52 UTC

Yes I have deleted all of my "say" binds apart from F1 which is to say "GG" - I remember I used to hit F1 instantly at the end of every match. I think everything else in my cfg should be pretty much ok, old rcon binds are also deleted, I had hotkeys for wpspeed and quad damage etc, players used to love it when we ramped it up to insane levels for a map or two :)
SD
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat May 25, 2019 18:54 UTC

Ramping it up to insane levels just for a map of two is not nice, it should be for multiple hours. :-D
dyn
Site Admin

Postby SD » Sat May 25, 2019 19:01 UTC

dyn wrote:Ramping it up to insane levels just for a map of two is not nice, it should be for multiple hours. :-D

Ha! I remember loading bigbox (after being asked) - sending wpspeedfactor through the roof, quad damage, sometimes quadfly, invisibility, the works! It was just nothing more than people holding the fire button and all you could see was exploding players, everyone loved it! No idea why, no skill involved in a setup like that but damn did they laugh! Just chaos really :) Then when I'd return settings to normal on the next map they would ask for more, good times!
SD
Former Admin

Postby dyn » Sat May 25, 2019 19:11 UTC

This is also problematic, you never should wait for players to ask for something. :-D

Skill is always a hot topic when it comes to more explosive weapons. In general if the map is not test_bigbox, and if players have the same or similar weapons, skill can be tested pretty well. BTW, VOGON has full bot support for test_bigbox, and teamplay is possible as well, haha. Mod makes it possible to use TDM on all maps, even if they originally don't support it.
dyn
Site Admin

Postby dyn » Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 UTC

OK, about ioquake3, for those who want to try most recent builds, check this post for info and download: viewtopic.php?p=32900#p32900

It is best to test anything new separately, just copy stuff from ./baseq3 to the location of new install, or at least pak0-8.pk3, which Q3 needs + config.
dyn
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion